Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Constructive Feedback on 1st Proposed Build

JuicyJJuice

JuicyJJuice

Hi all, 

So I am moving closer to pulling the pin on this hobby. I have a preliminary build list and I wanted to get your feedback. 

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25

Stand: Looking for a sturdy antique sideboard or buffet with cupboards. 

Lighting: 1 Aqua Illumination Prime HD

Aquascape: Approx. 20lbs  Marco Rock

Sand: CaribSea Arag Alive Fiji Pink 

Pump: Stock or Sicce Syncra 1.5

Flow:  ??Aqamai KPS??

Heater: Cobalt Neo-therm 100w

Skimmer: None to start.

Testing: Red Sea Marine Care. 

Let me know what you think. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, JuicyJJuice said:

Hi all, 

So I am moving closer to pulling the pin on this hobby. I have a preliminary build list and I wanted to get your feedback. 

Sounds good so far. 😊

49 minutes ago, JuicyJJuice said:

Hi all, 

Do it & don't look back!!

List looks good so far. The only thing I can think of is decide if you're going to start by using an RODI system or buy distilled water and mixed with what salt. Also a hydrometer or refractometer for measuring salinity. It may be semantics, but water is what gives life in this hobby so it's important to make sure it's good.

JuicyJJuice
16 minutes ago, Dally said:

Do it & don't look back!!

List looks good so far. The only thing I can think of is decide if you're going to start by using an RODI system or buy distilled water and mixed with what salt. Also a hydrometer or refractometer for measuring salinity. It may be semantics, but water is what gives life in this hobby so it's important to make sure it's good.

I am renting an apartment so I don't think I will be able to do a RODI system. My initial plan was to do a Nuvo 10G, and to be honest I didn't even think about the additional amount of water I will need for the 25g.  

1 minute ago, JuicyJJuice said:

I am renting an apartment so I don't think I will be able to do a RODI system. My initial plan was to do a Nuvo 10G, and to be honest I didn't even think about the additional amount of water I will need for the 25g.  

The 25g is a beautiful tank, but I've been keeping my tanks small for the same reason. I'm in college so I'm trying to stay fairly mobile. Water quantity was a big factor for me. I don't want to discourage you! But to me, mixing 25g of bottled distilled water seems like a chore & then mixing another 5g a week for water changes seemed like more than I wanted to do for the time being. I had a 6g and I now have a 4g tank. I really really enjoyed them both.

Everything sounds good.

You can attach the rodi unit to your faucet to make water, it doesn't need to be permanently plumbed.

I definitely recommend a refractometer and hanna alk checker and hanna phos ulr.

The kps is a nice wavemaker.

Sicce are good pumps but you could also co side the Mighty Jet.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You can attach the rodi unit to your faucet to make water, it doesn't need to be permanently plumbed.

Not sure why I didn't think to mention this. It's nice to have experienced reefers around with more common reef sense!

4 minutes ago, Dally said:

Not sure why I didn't think to mention this. It's nice to have experienced reefers around with more common reef sense!

I just started using an rodi system myself😁 

I attach mine to the faucet, takes 2 mins and it's more convenient than buying water.

It's really nice being able to make my own water whenever I need it and however much I need.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I just started using an rodi system myself😁 

I attach mine to the faucet, takes 2 mins and it's more convenient than buying water.

It's really nice being able to make my own water whenever I need it and however much I need.

I need to get one myself! My tanks are so small that a 2g water change is easy & convenient, but it sure would be nice to stop buying so many plastic gallon jugs.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, JuicyJJuice said:

The water thing is honestly making me re-consider the 10g. As I can handle that with 5gallon jugs of water. 

I don’t have experience with IM tanks but I’ve heard pretty much only good things about them. If you can deal with the water, go big! But 10g would definitely be easier & is still a great tank. You’ll love it either way.

5 minutes ago, Dally said:

I need to get one myself! My tanks are so small that a 2g water change is easy & convenient, but it sure would be nice to stop buying so many plastic gallon jugs.

I know, the plastic was a concern for me. I started buying distilled at the grocery store in a 18l jug which is returned empty upon picking up a full one.

• Like 1