SaltCritters.com

Ca and dKH Consistency Issues. Will Dosing Help?!

Krish87

Hello Everyone! 

Firstly, thanks for taking time to read this.

I recently got my Hanna checkers and put it to good use 🙂I started logging my test results on a daily basis. Reason - stated below...

CALCIUM LEVEL DIP

Off late, there was a gradual increase in my coral numbers to my BioCube. Thus the higher absorption of calcium in the system. Since I had a light doubt, I started testing my water from the past week and found that my Calcium has been decreasing on a daily basis. Given that I have a lot of LPS in my tank, I like to be at a good Ca level, which is of course is achieved and Ca is replenished by a water change. I had checked my Ca level just before the water change at it was at 388. That is the lowest it has ever come to! 

LOW dKH?!

Now, interestingly, my dKH was at 6.8 all along. I'm also aware that there are a lot of caveats to the best, safe and recommended dKH levels although higher levels are accepted as long as they don't directly impact reduction in the Calcium level. What is a good dKH level? 

SALTWATER SOURCE

I get the saltwater from my local LFS. I don't doubt that they use a bad quality salt! 

Now...

THE MILLION $ QUESTION - WILL DOSING HELP?

I have never dosed before. Per my research and requirement, I believe a simple 2 Part Dosing is the right way to go and address the inconsistencies in my tank. The right dosing should help me maintain a good reef chemistry and help to accommodate the growing corals. However, I would like hear your thoughts and your experience!

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Yes dosing will help.  Eventually you get to the point where water changes aren't enough to replenish alk/calc etc.  Keeping alkalinity stable is the most important thing in my opinion.  I run mine at about 8 dKh.  Calcium and alk have a teeter totter effect so keep an eye on both while dosing.  You'll also want to check your magnesium as that also plays an important role in being able to maintain calcium and alkalinity.  388 is not terrible for calcium, but I would slowly bring your alk up to 8 or 9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DreC80 : Thanks for the tip. Really appreciate it. 

Yes, 8.0 is where I want to be and see how the corals are doing. I know my Frogspawn can definitely extend more, but I believe its the chemistry that might be affecting the complete potential albeit none of the corals are sick and/or having a rough time! 

Before dosing, I'd stop buying ASW from the LFS and just get RODI from them and mix your own to ensure consistency. If you are dosing, consistency is key. Also check magnesium. If it's low, get that where it needs to be. If it's low and you start dosing, it'll just precipitate out.

Once it's consistent, you can calculate your daily requirements. If your requirements are lower, you can drip Kalk water. If that can't keep up reasonably, you can switch to 2-part. There are tons of guides out there.

• Like 1

Dosing is hard when you are using lfs water. 

Their water may not be consistent.

First with dosing is finding the target number which is what your salt mixes at

(your tank should be pretty much the same after a waterchange)

Then test every day for a week(alk is super important)

Then you can start dosing to maintain your target number.

If the lfs water mixes at 6.8dkh, you would need to dose that water before doing a water change to get it to a better number and then dose daily to maintain it.

388 isn't low ca but 6 8 alk is.

If the magnesium is low, it can cause issues eith balancing the 2 parameters 

• Thanks 1

Hello friends - wanted to close this out:

So after I did my due diligence with testing for a week, I found that there was indeed a problem with Alk that was indirectly affecting Ca values as well.

Did a 40% water change, and was able to bring both Ca and dKH to a good number (although really not where I would have liked them to be). So continued my testing exercise for another 5 days and did doze (low doze) on the 6th day. 

Needless to say, a very positive effect on the tank, corals looks happier and puffy more than what they were in the last few weeks. All values are to the mark and every livestock in the tank is doing awesome.

Also, on a side note - Reef Plus is a great addition. My Elegance Coral has shown an immense change every since I put in a little Reef Plus last week.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their inputs and suggestions on this post again!

• Like 4