inTank Media Baskets

Lost Ponies of Atlantis Pico

vlangel

23 hours ago, Maddie said:

Hi, gorgeous tank! Super excited to see the mini ponies! The background is really neat, and I love the decorations! I believe we have the same type of codium, which is really cool to me. 

Hi Maddie.  I hope the little ponies do well in the pico.  If they thrive using the magnetic bbs feeder then dwarf seahorses will be more feasible for future aquarists.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hi Maddie.  I hope the little ponies do well in the pico.  If they thrive using the magnetic bbs feeder then dwarf seahorses will be more feasible for future aquarists.

If this works well for you I know I'll be considering a tiny pony tank more strongly. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm excited to see how they do in your setup! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I moved the HOB aqueon all the way to the left since I no longer need to hide the intake behind the seahorse statue.  I also moved the open airline tube all the way to the left as well.  Both airline tube and intake are barely noticable because the red titan on the sponge filter hide them from view.  Moving them all the way to the left has helped a lot with salt spray all over the left side of my 56 gallon tank and that had been extremely annoying.  Now problem solved!

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Announcement:

Now that I am back from SC, I guess I am ready to order dwarf seahorses. 

The grape caulerpa is growing like crazy so I know that it is uptaking nutrients out of the water which is good.  The tank seems quite stable but it still has some nuisance algae.  I might need to add some purigen to the hob filter.  Also I will remove some of the biggest ghosties out of the tank so that they don't eat too much of the bbs intended for the ponies.

• Like 8
On 4/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, vlangel said:

A video of the pico set up to accommodate the DSHs.  I am thinking of getting 3 or 5 ponies.

Beautiful. 

Your pico is so relaxing to view, very zen!

On 4/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, vlangel said:

A video of the pico set up to accommodate the DSHs.  I am thinking of getting 3 or 5 ponies.

Beautiful. 

• Thanks 1
portmanteaux
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Big Announcement:

Now that I am back from SC, I guess I am ready to order dwarf seahorses. 

The grape caulerpa is growing like crazy so I know that it is uptaking nutrients out of the water which is good.  The tank seems quite stable but it still has some nuisance algae.  I might need to add some purigen to the hob filter.  Also I will remove some of the biggest ghosties out of the tank so that they don't eat too much of the bbs intended for the ponies.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! I'm preparing for dwarf seahorses right now, too. I have the magnetic bbs feeder as well and have been testing it out with my moon jellyfish. So far, I absolutely love the thing, I think it's going to make feeding the ponies a breeze

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Beautiful. 

Beautiful. 

Thanks Clown79.  I hope the ponies find it relaxing.

5 hours ago, portmanteaux said:

Can't wait to see how this turns out! I'm preparing for dwarf seahorses right now, too. I have the magnetic bbs feeder as well and have been testing it out with my moon jellyfish. So far, I absolutely love the thing, I think it's going to make feeding the ponies a breeze

Cool, it will be great to compare notes on dwarf seahorses.  I have not tried the feeder so its good to hear that you think it will work well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MetaTank said:

Bring on the tiny seahorses!

Yes, bring on the tiny ponies!  I have contacted my shrimp guy because he also can get dwarf seahorses.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I've been distracted so didn't see your post until today and funny thing for me too. 

I put a small tank together for my featherduster so I could treat my display tank for worms.  He unfortunately didn't make it :tears: but I was thinking (in bed at night too lol) that maybe I could put two alternating hang on back hatcheries where the newly hatched bbs could swim directly into tank... then I could keep dwarfs...

I had forgoten someone talked about the magnetic feeders so excited you are trying it.  

Not sure if my husband will be happy for me to keep it and try dwarfs but here is the set up. 

20190516_222451.thumb.jpg.8cb6826d8db064d627a8628d8ca980a7.jpg Very simple and would add macros (still only have the red but) and some kind of decoration.  I used the sponge filter in little tank I had set up in past for my son's evil chocolate chip starfish when his tank crashed.  Added a damsel and snails so had good experience with it.

I didn't realize the ghost shrimp eat hair algae!

Your tank is looking great.  Excited to see the babies come!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ef4life said:

I Can’t wait to see these little pony’s 

I hope I can get good photos of them.  The tank is near a big picture window so its hard to photogragh without getting a lot of reflection.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I hope I can get good photos of them.  The tank is near a big picture window so its hard to photogragh without getting a lot of reflection.

Have husband stand with white sheet to block reflection :biggrin:

• Haha 4
portmanteaux
17 hours ago, vlangel said:

I think I should have them in a week.  I may even get a pregnant male.

Even if you don't specifically buy a pregnant male, you might get one anyways! 

I just received my dwarves this morning. I had ordered 3 pairs (so 6 dwarves total) and the lovely folk at Foxy Saltwater Tropicals ended up sending me 8, including a pregnant male! All of them arrived alive and seemingly healthy (definitely eating well already). Oh, and that male has already given birth to at least one baby. I didn't expect to go from father to grandpa in one day, but here we are! It'll be fun to compare notes when we're both settled into our lil sea-pony ranches 😊

• Like 6
  • Wow 3
On 5/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, portmanteaux said:

Even if you don't specifically buy a pregnant male, you might get one anyways! 

I just received my dwarves this morning. I had ordered 3 pairs (so 6 dwarves total) and the lovely folk at Foxy Saltwater Tropicals ended up sending me 8, including a pregnant male! All of them arrived alive and seemingly healthy (definitely eating well already). Oh, and that male has already given birth to at least one baby. I didn't expect to go from father to grandpa in one day, but here we are! It'll be fun to compare notes when we're both settled into our lil sea-pony ranches 😊

I am excited for you and your dwarf seahorses.  I hope they do well for you.

Unfortunately today I realized that I have too many irons in the fire so I cancelled my dwarf seahorse order.  Reluctantly I am dropping out of the old school pico contest.  I plan to keep the tank running as a shrimp tank but I wont be doing anything else special with it.  

Best of luck to the rest of the contestants!

• Sad 10
  • Wow 1

Sorry to hear this, I was looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.   Totally understandable though; I've reached that point before too.  It's a tough but responsible decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dang! No reason to drop out though. Tank looks great as a shrimp tank too! It's already got coral and macro in it 🙂

• Like 4
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Sorry to hear this, I was looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.   Totally understandable though; I've reached that point before too.  It's a tough but responsible decision.

Thanks seabass, I really appreciate your comment and you hit the nail on the head.  The 2 tanks I have need my time and fooling myself into thinking I can handle a 3rd tank is doing a disservice to the creatures who are dependant on me.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Dang! No reason to drop out though. Tank looks great as a shrimp tank too! It's already got coral and macro in it 🙂

I could do that Tam but the competitor in me would want to spruce the tank up and right now I don't need the self inflicted pressure, LOL.

• Like 1