vlangel

Lost Ponies of Atlantis Pico

29 minutes ago, asting said:

You're doing pico baby cardinals?

I considered it, but no, they are doing pretty well in the 20 gallon tank.  It would make for quite the display though.

Yay!!!  I saw copepods today!  I had planned to scrape some off the 30 gallon seahorse tank but didn't know if the cycle was complete enough to support copepods.  Now I know.

• Like 8

I did almost a 100% WC today.  I am getting some algae so I need to get a cuc in there soon.

• Like 1

May be a silly question, but what’s your plan for the baby horses once they start breeding? This has always baffled me when I’ve read into keeping sea horses. Sell to LFS? Multiply your tanks and build a horse horde?

🤔

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:12 PM, pricewayne said:

May be a silly question, but what’s your plan for the baby horses once they start breeding? This has always baffled me when I’ve read into keeping sea horses. Sell to LFS? Multiply your tanks and build a horse horde?

🤔

Dwarf seahorse fry are easy to raise because they eat the same food as their parents.  I plan to start with only 3 to 5 adults and a 2.5 gallon can keep 25-30 ponies.  I really have no idea how fast they will reproduce but I have read that they often quit bearing after a year or so.  

I have found that lfs dont want dwarf seahorses because of the rigors of feeding them.  Perhaps when I show them my auto hatch feeder they would change their mind and I could sell some ponies.  If not I can set up a 2nd tank and separate the sexes to control their population.  I hope it does not come to that but this is new ground for me.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

Dwarf seahorse fry are easy to raise because they eat the same food as their parents.  I plan to start with only 3 to 5 adults and a 2.5 gallon can keep 25-30 ponies.  I really have no idea how fast they will reproduce but I have read that they often quit bearing after a year or so.  

I have found that lfs dont want dwarf seahorses because of the rigors of feeding them.  Perhaps when I show them my auto hatch feeder they would change their mind and I could sell some ponies.  If not I can set up a 2nd tank and separate the sexes to control their population.  I hope it does not come to that but this is new ground for me.

Sea horse horde!! I’m picturing dozens of Pico Tanks lining the entry of your home 😉

• Haha 3