Coral Vue Hydros

Lost Ponies of Atlantis Pico

vlangel

3 hours ago, MetaTank said:

LOL that statue...

I can see the seahorse Altantis theme coming together

Thanks, I can can picture Atlantis in my mind but whether I can convey that in the tank I don't know.

I decided to take a big risk and try a graphic art depiction of Atlantis on the back glass.  It's purpose is 2 fold:  1. To hide equipment wires but still let natural light in for macro/coral growth, and 2. To support the theme of the lost world of Atlantis, only with a seahorse twist.

Ha ha, the idea was better than the depiction of it!  However it does effectively hide all equipment and wires which I am happy about.  The overall feel of the mural is a bit darker and foreboding than I intended but it sort of works in an artsy kind of way.  Hopefully some thriving macros and cute little ponies will lighten things up.

When the water clears I will take some pics.

• Like 4

2019-04-01_10-50-39

2019-04-01_10-51-02

First I drew my vision of Atlantis on tracing paper.  Then I cut it out and taped it to the inside of the tank's back glass.

2019-04-01_10-51-35

I flipped the tank around and painted my drawing on the outside of the back glass.  I found drawing Atlantis much easier than painting it! 😐

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

2019-04-01_12-37-45

Then I put the statute and the rock and water back into the tank and tested for ammonia.  Seeing that the cycle was progressing I proceeded to add some macros/coral since they can take some ammonia.

2019-04-01_12-38-58

2019-04-01_12-40-36

Judging by how difficult it is to get a good photo, I am pretty sure that I will not be taking pics in the middle of the day.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Some Cyphastrea or GSP covering that seahorse would be rad.

I totally agree and hope to get gps growing on the statute.

• Like 1

The more I looked at my art work mural, the more I decided that it did not convey my original vision.  I wanted whimsical, enchanting, not dark, foreboding!  The good thing about acrylic paint on glass is it can be scraped off so that is what I did.  Now I am playing around with different backgrounds and it may be a while before I settle on something.  Here's what I have atm.

2019-04-02_01-00-44

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I love the seahorse in the tank.  I think you have made amazing progress.  I have not even started my journal yet.... We took snack pics today and got it wet tonight.  I hope to start my journal tomorrow.  I am feeling really behind already.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I love the seahorse in the tank.  I think you have made amazing progress.  I have not even started my journal yet.... We took snack pics today and got it wet tonight.  I hope to start my journal tomorrow.  I am feeling really behind already.

The seahorse makes this tank! I'm with you, @kimdawg, while ive been working on some stuff, my tank is dry. It's a marathon, not a sprint, right? I don't think a week or two will make much of a difference in the long run, right?

@vlangelI really like that idea of gluing rubble/sand to the seahorse to help coral grow on it! What did you use? I might wanna do something like that in my tank for the skimmer box! Of course, I'll credit you for the idea!!

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
On 4/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, Lingwendil said:

Some Cyphastrea or GSP covering that seahorse would be rad.

Yassss 

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
15 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

The seahorse makes this tank! I'm with you, @kimdawg, while ive been working on some stuff, my tank is dry. It's a marathon, not a sprint, right? I don't think a week or two will make much of a difference in the long run, right?

@vlangelI really like that idea of gluing rubble/sand to the seahorse to help coral grow on it! What did you use? I might wanna do something like that in my tank for the skimmer box! Of course, I'll credit you for the idea!!

DAA74FCF-B5C0-4B4D-A324-5A4B50075922.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

No biggy... I am not starting mine till Monday at the earliest.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, MetaTank said:

I can not take credit for everything, the seahorse statue had a sandy finish on it when I purchased it. I used JB water weld to putty the rubble rock to the statue.  It is really strong and will allow me to lift the statue/rock structure out of the tank to clean.  I have in the past smeared aquarium silicon on a plexiglass surface and while it was still wet poured sand on it to give a sandy finish.  Of course that only works on surfaces that silicon adheres to.

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
9 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Whimsical and enchanting you say..

How about something like this?

es7706-undersea_castle.jpg.6c75b09990e0674da65a2decaad34ebc.jpg

🎶Cue the music🎶

Is that before or after the 2000’s switch up

On 4/3/2019 at 5:20 AM, Tempestas said:

Whimsical and enchanting you say..

How about something like this?

es7706-undersea_castle.jpg.6c75b09990e0674da65a2decaad34ebc.jpg

🎶Cue the music🎶

O yes, that is more like it!  My backround needs to let light through since it is natural sun lit in an east window.  Whatever I do can not have the whole back covered.

Snow_Phoenix

I like your newer background better. Your older background was pretty cool too, but as you've said, a bit too 'dark'. I think I'm forever going to envy that seahorse statue - I love it so much! And I like the fact that you glued a bit of macro to it. Gives it an overall 'fantasy' appeal which I really, really admire. Overall, tank looks nice, Dawn! Can't wait to see what else you're going to do with it. :happydance:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I like your newer background better. Your older background was pretty cool too, but as you've said, a bit too 'dark'. I think I'm forever going to envy that seahorse statue - I love it so much! And I like the fact that you glued a bit of macro to it. Gives it an overall 'fantasy' appeal which I really, really admire. Overall, tank looks nice, Dawn! Can't wait to see what else you're going to do with it. :happydance:

Thanks Snow!  That statue is special because I bought it at the lfs that I worked at, which has since closed.  I was there 12 years before I had to leave to care for my aging mother in law.  That store will always have a special place in my heart.

Dave bought new ink for our printer and reprinted the picture I was using.  I am going to re-do it so that the ancient columns are more visible so it has more of the underwater world of Atlantis feel about it.  I am quite excited about this little tank.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I love it!

Thanks seabass!

• Like 4

2019-04-04_12-59-05

I am still playing with the backround.

2019-04-04_01-01-06

It will be really cool if I can get this red macro algae to grow on the back of the seahorse.  It helps hide a prefilter I have on the intake of the HOB pump.

• Like 6
This guy is extra salty
On 4/4/2019 at 6:12 AM, vlangel said:

O yes, that is more like it!  My backround needs to let light through since it is natural sun lit in an east window.  Whatever I do can not have the whole back covered.

I can make ya one of these 

clear p95 (matte) acrylic 

34F520BA-7435-48A3-9520-02E66D11D318.jpeg

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I can make ya one of these 

clear p95 (matte) acrylic 

34F520BA-7435-48A3-9520-02E66D11D318.jpeg

Is that etched into the acrylic or a sticker on it? Looks neat. 

• Like 2