Innovative Marine Aquariums

Few quick questions!

Hannahhhh

Hi friends! Im about to start my first tank (Fluval evo 13.5) and I have a few quick questions regarding cycling. 

My main question is what exactly do I need to get started? My list so far is my all in one tank, a heater, live sand, live rock, saltwater (I’m planning on using nutri seawater), a water testing kit (planning on getting API master test kit) and some buckets etc for water changes. Is there anything else I need? Thank you!!

righttirefire

Pass on the api. Spend the money on a better test kit. Ammonia, nitrate, mag, cal, alk.

You dont need live rock or sand. They should speed along your cycle, but do a little more research on that subject.

I assume the evo has a light?

Buckets, siphon tube

Personally I started pretty low budget, but after 4 years, the refractor for testing salinity, rodi system, auto top off, and brute can are some of my favorite accessories.

Research, research, research. Slow is difficult at the beginning, because of the excitement, but if long term is the goal its better that way.

• Thanks 1

Liverock is a good option. Gives you better biodiversity.

There is dry rock too that can be used.

Both have pros and cons.

If its cured live rock it shouldn't go through a cycle unless the rock is not kept wet.

If its liverock thats not in an established tank or is dirty, it will cycle on it's own.

If you go with dry rock you will need to dose bacteria and ammonia to cycle(Dr Tim's products are recommended) 

I find Api fine for cycling, 

I really love the hanna checker for alk and phos.

Salifert for nitrate and ca.

I've used api for ca and nitrate as well

Additional items to get:

Refractometer

Gravel vacuum

Media basket to upgrade filter media

Powerhead

• Thanks 1