Top Shelf Aquatics

MetaJANKs Old School Polished Turd

MetaTank

7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I like the look of your Hydrometer, what is it?

It’s a refractometer. I think they’re more accurate and easier to read than a traditional hydrometer, and Livr Aquaria has then for 12 bucks on clearance right now (though I paid 18 on eBay for this one, lol)

image.thumb.jpg.1f5465e2c8d343419ea1910e87705a24.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Nice I do that all the time, over pay by the time It gets delivered I see it for less somewhere else! lmao

Yeah me too, lol, get excited about a deal only to find out it wasn’t the best deal

1 hour ago, asting said:

You running dual lights?

Well, possibly 4 sources of light overall. I have an LED moonlight strip that I will have on like 18 hours a day, then I found these 0.5 watt blue lights im putting on a timer to come on an hour before the Asta20 comes on, then the Asta will come on, then for 4-ish hours a day I’ll run the extra LED array to simulate “mid day”, then ramp back down through dusk.

So moonlight, then dawn for an hour, then morning for a few hours, then “mid day” when all the lights are on, then afternoon for a few hours, then dusk for an hour, and back to moonlight. Janky light program

I hope to simulate dusk and dawn with these 0.5watt LEDs I found. Probably one per tank

8D0D4DBE-9EFA-4234-A52C-8099DC97411A.thumb.jpeg.15ad28eb200747a55f1d148dc599f203.jpeg

BCCD946C-B360-4555-8D75-57D22598A0CB.thumb.jpeg.1fa990dee4482b33101ec0084acee482.jpeg

• Like 4
12 hours ago, yoshii said:

Interesting little LEDs! Does the Asta not have a setting to ramp up/down?

As far as I know, it does not. I heard rumors about a WiFi controller coming out, but it’s supposed to cost $150, and I honestly haven’t seen it. So I will be simulating dusk, dawn, and mid day with timers, the old way, lol

12 hours ago, Wendy said:

Wow, that's a lotta lights!

They all going to fit under that fancy custom hood?

Not “going to”, they all fit quite well. Lol.

I have 4 sources of light under the hood, and refugium lights in the back make 5 light sources for this tiny tank.

Over engineered polished turd 

• Haha 2

And we are wet! I gotta go get a turkey baster to blow the dust off of the rocks now, and clean the glass, but it’s good to finally have water in the tank. Plus, this rock has been in buckets for a couple weeks now, lol, not sure any of the ”hitchhiker” zoas on it are gonna open up anymore.  😞

image.thumb.jpg.d90a994874eb7db4d1c8b6eb0a3850cf.jpg

• Like 12
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Yayyy!  Looks great!  I like the 2-rock look.

Appreciate it, may still tweak things a bit, but right now I’m just letting every thing settle in, making sure the setup works. Temperature is holdin steady between 77 and 79, and I haven’t actually seen it fluctuate more than .6 degrees, so the inkbird controller is really doin it’s job well. 

Looking good! Your background is really cool.

How are you liking your DYI surface skimmer.

I've been tinkering with my pill bottle mod for a few days & I'm not liking it.

Maybe I should go with something taller like yours?

6 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Oh so you ended up with the inkbird.  Nice!  I'm probably going to get one too.  

Yeah it was a great deal, BRS has them for 24 bucks right now, and after some thought, it was important to have a "cooling" feature for me. I have it hooked up to the fan blowing over the water surface.

6 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Looking good!

Thanks! I actually just saw a tiny brittle star in the rock on the left, at first I thought it was a bristleworm, then I got out the flashlight and it's a really cool blue and black banded brittle star...Itsy bitsy!

4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I like your rock work.  What type corals do you plan to add with all of those lights?

I dunno, I've always been a fan of mixed reefs. I want the options to run whatever i wanted though. I have the Asta turned way down, since the zoas on the rock have been in the dark for the past two weeks in a bucket...lol. So they are beyond PO'd right now. They may just melt away, but it that happens, it just opens up a lot more prime real estate in the tank...lol

1 hour ago, Wendy said:

Looking good! Your background is really cool.

How are you liking your DYI surface skimmer.

I've been tinkering with my pill bottle mod for a few days & I'm not liking it.

Maybe I should go with something taller like yours?

Thanks! The backound just sorta worked out that way...lol. The surface skimmer is too low in my tank right now, but it works well. In my haste yesterday to set up, I neglected to make sure it was at the top, and so when I do my first water change I'm gonna raise it a tad. But I like it, it works well when the height is set at the correct level. Check back in a few days, once I dial in the height. I'll probably be thinking about it non stop now and just fiddle with it within minutes after posting this...haha

• Haha 2

I think the zoas are starting to open. I'm surprised, since they have been in the dark for weeks now...lol. I do have the lights turned way down to avoid blasting them too much after being in the dark for so long

• Like 1

So I was gifted this rock from someone who works in a coral store. It was just in his sump, but it had a frag disk on it, and apparently the zoas on the disk moved on to the rock, lol. I really didn’t have any expectations that they would open, but they seem to slowly be acclimating to the lights again after being in the dark for so long

This is the rock

594ADB2B-54BF-42B3-B64F-C7BA767BD383.thumb.jpeg.9948de2642063e13f77e679c64d82785.jpeg

They look more open today than they did yesterday, so that’s promising. Still not holding my breath tho...lol

DA23EA53-970C-422C-8D7F-193774B19430.thumb.jpeg.930332ef8ef34b9a6217d0c2f5fbd7c6.jpeg

Cant wait to get a proper phone filter, and maybe a better phone. LOL...The iPhone 6s camera just isn't cutting it anymore...:rant:

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks promising.

It's getting there, taking my time a bit. Just trying to get my hands on some corals now.......

Yay! Wet tank! I like the scape,, the rock with the zoas on it is pretty cool, I hope they continue to open up. What other corals are you planning on adding?

On 4/13/2019 at 4:31 PM, MetaTank said:

So I was gifted this rock from someone who works in a coral store. It was just in his sump, but it had a frag disk on it, and apparently the zoas on the disk moved on to the rock, lol. I really didn’t have any expectations that they would open, but they seem to slowly be acclimating to the lights again after being in the dark for so long

This is the rock

594ADB2B-54BF-42B3-B64F-C7BA767BD383.thumb.jpeg.9948de2642063e13f77e679c64d82785.jpeg

They look more open today than they did yesterday, so that’s promising. Still not holding my breath tho...lol

DA23EA53-970C-422C-8D7F-193774B19430.thumb.jpeg.930332ef8ef34b9a6217d0c2f5fbd7c6.jpeg

Cant wait to get a proper phone filter, and maybe a better phone. LOL...The iPhone 6s camera just isn't cutting it anymore...:rant:

Buy a rosco filter pack!

Nice rock. I've got one in the 20L i'm tearing down with a bunch of green palys that have spread. Not sure what i will do with that, but don't really want it anywhere else.

A Little Blue

Do you have enough room on both sides for your glass cleaner? Looks good but it seems as if rocks are almost touching the glass. Or perhaps it’s just the camera?

5 hours ago, yoshii said:

Yay! Wet tank! I like the scape,, the rock with the zoas on it is pretty cool, I hope they continue to open up. What other corals are you planning on adding?

Well, some more zoas, maybe some mushrooms, acans, candy canes. Not really sure, just got a killer deal on a bunch of Rasta frags and kryptonite candy canes right now

41 minutes ago, asting said:

Buy a rosco filter pack!

Nice rock. I've got one in the 20L i'm tearing down with a bunch of green palys that have spread. Not sure what i will do with that, but don't really want it anywhere else.

I hope these continue to open, they are really bright so far!

34 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Do you have enough room on both sides for your glass cleaner? Looks good but it seems as if rocks are almost touching the glass. Or perhaps it’s just the camera?

I will indeed be cleaning that section of the glass with a hemostat and sponge, it’s a little close, but I’m okay with it. Not hard to get in there and clean it since it’s only a few inches down 

A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Well, some more zoas, maybe some mushrooms, acans, candy canes. Not really sure, just got a killer deal on a bunch of Rasta frags and kryptonite candy canes right now

I hope these continue to open, they are really bright so far!

I will indeed be cleaning that section of the glass with a hemostat and sponge, it’s a little close, but I’m okay with it. Not hard to get in there and clean it since it’s only a few inches down 

You could probably move the rock a bit in case you need more aggressive scraping. 

Soooo...I just met with a guy who has his frag tank in the garage, and he’s just trying to get rid of everything in the tank before summer cause he can’t cool it. SoCal garage in the summer is well above 100F

He gave me 4 kryptonite candy cane frags, and 4 frags of rastas(3-6 polyps each) for 40 bucks. And then he threw in a golf ball sized chunk of GSP too, lol, may be regifting that one, maybe not

I also went to a couple LFS in Pasadena, picked up an orange ricordea, an acan frag with three heads, a green rhodactis shroom

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2