Coral Vue Hydros

MetaJANKs Old School Polished Turd

MetaTank

pricewayne
8 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Latest FTS. I have a bunch of frags in the sand that I need to deal with. Looks messy. I wanna pull the stylophora off the frag disc and glue it to the rocks directly, but Im being chicken because there really isn't anything to "hold on" to when I glue it down except the area the polyps extend from, and I don't know i that will damage it. 

The new blasto is exceptionally happy, and I'm willing to bet it's NEVER been open as much as it is now. And I glued down a new little acan the other day, it has like 4 baby heads on it, so I'm hoping it fills out a little. I had trouble gluing it down, and ended up with an unsightly glue patch around the base, I'll be happy when that colors up with algae or coraline eventually, The acan is adjusting, and I will monitor it to see if if it's happier after a couple feedings, but it extends it's tentacles slightly, so I know it'll accept food.

image.thumb.jpg.dbdad1944a3404bf5f1f30e1829f16bc.jpg

Looking great!! Are the zoas on the top right rock the ones you had from the start? It looks like they’ve multiplied!

• Like 2
Just now, pricewayne said:

Looking great!! Are the zoas on the top right rock the ones you had from the start? It looks like they’ve multiplied!

Yeah they are the ones that were already on the rock, and pretty sure they are going to take over that entire rock, just gluing a few things to it while I still have time. LOL. They have definitely multiplied. Also, checked out Golden State Corals today, thanks for turning me on to that spot! I had a really great conversation with the owner, and I will be picking up some stuff from them soon!

• Like 1
pricewayne
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Yeah they are the ones that were already on the rock, and pretty sure they are going to take over that entire rock, just gluing a few things to it while I still have time. LOL. They have definitely multiplied. Also, checked out Golden State Corals today, thanks for turning me on to that spot! I had a really great conversation with the owner, and I will be picking up some stuff from them soon!

Think that’s who helped me when I was there. Really great guy it seemed and very helpful answering (all) my questions. I want to go back for some more alveopora.. maybe this weekend.

• Like 1

Yeah, he was super nice, I was asking about the show in SD on Sunday that @Tigahboy attended. He also let me snap a few pics so I wrote him a nice yelp review 

B3DF21EF-A7A5-487B-8FAC-75E89D65ACE3.thumb.jpeg.43c5092ccc5f7a675151f3982d145b3a.jpeg

EA5D055D-6DB8-4890-BB36-851D26629F93.thumb.jpeg.ad30e83c1abc65ee9ab958a4a5fd554e.jpeg

BB8766CC-685E-4561-8B99-2FD328BD54B0.thumb.jpeg.1f8ac72b8d57ca2740b3c3d919a2d9bc.jpeg

45A9F7F6-E147-49B2-A4D4-50EAADF9CD30.thumb.jpeg.aecc634334bcc3fa5fc6939764c75083.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah they had really nice stuff at the event.  Including that crazy bounce mushroom.  I love that thing.  Lol.  

Yeah, it’s sick. They have some nice stuff, and their shop is really just their grow out facility that they ship from in a business park...but it’s a good spot to know about. Can’t believe it’s been right under my nose this whole time! 😂 

• Like 1
pricewayne

They have a black widow BTA WYSIWYG on their site that looks killer. It’s hot pink. I want it but BTA is a no-go with my pipefish. Le’sigh 😪

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

They have a black widow BTA WYSIWYG on their site that looks killer. It’s hot pink. I want it but BTA is a no-go with my pipefish. Le’sigh 😪

Yeah, and he just picked up a Colorado Sunburst at the show in SD, and another one that was equally stunning but a little more pink than the sunburst called Nuoc Nam....lol...Fish Sauce BTA... He's gonna try to propogate them as well. The patterns on them is insane, I shoulda taken a pic of those

But I saw the Black Widows today, they were pretty awesome!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Yeah, he was super nice, I was asking about the show in SD on Sunday that @Tigahboy attended. He also let me snap a few pics so I wrote him a nice yelp review 

B3DF21EF-A7A5-487B-8FAC-75E89D65ACE3.thumb.jpeg.43c5092ccc5f7a675151f3982d145b3a.jpeg

EA5D055D-6DB8-4890-BB36-851D26629F93.thumb.jpeg.ad30e83c1abc65ee9ab958a4a5fd554e.jpeg

BB8766CC-685E-4561-8B99-2FD328BD54B0.thumb.jpeg.1f8ac72b8d57ca2740b3c3d919a2d9bc.jpeg

45A9F7F6-E147-49B2-A4D4-50EAADF9CD30.thumb.jpeg.aecc634334bcc3fa5fc6939764c75083.jpeg

When im in town I def wanna go to these places!

• Like 2
Just now, 748S911 said:

When im in town I def wanna go to these places!

For sure, let me know when you're gonna have a day to dedicate to it, There are a few good stores in the Valley that have some great coral selections.

13 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Things are really coming along nicely. Digging that blasto.

Good luck with getting everything into a nice spot

Thanks, I’m loving the Blasto, I think it’s happy there too, hopefully. It sure is fully expanded and looking plump.

And I’m sure I’ll find a spot for everything. I’m in no rush, I want it all to feel natural, and I want the corals to be happy where they are placed once I glue them down

• Like 3

New Acan with 4 baby heads. Two on one side (you can see them in the shadow) and two on the other side that are bigger than the visible ones. Should turn into a nice little cluster 👍🏻 

image.thumb.jpg.6f747a38bedaa747ab8ba87b9ad198bd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
On 5/21/2019 at 12:15 AM, MetaTank said:

Latest FTS. I have a bunch of frags in the sand that I need to deal with. Looks messy. I wanna pull the stylophora off the frag disc and glue it to the rocks directly, but Im being chicken because there really isn't anything to "hold on" to when I glue it down except the area the polyps extend from, and I don't know i that will damage it. 

The new blasto is exceptionally happy, and I'm willing to bet it's NEVER been open as much as it is now. And I glued down a new little acan the other day, it has like 4 baby heads on it, so I'm hoping it fills out a little. I had trouble gluing it down, and ended up with an unsightly glue patch around the base, I'll be happy when that colors up with algae or coraline eventually, The acan is adjusting, and I will monitor it to see if if it's happier after a couple feedings, but it extends it's tentacles slightly, so I know it'll accept food.

image.thumb.jpg.dbdad1944a3404bf5f1f30e1829f16bc.jpg

Looking really nice. Love the new monti and blasto!

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Looking really nice. Love the new monti and blasto!

Yeah that Blasto is a hit, I love the placement. And I’m struggling to find a good place for the monti at the moment, but it’ll come to me

4 minutes ago, Noah C Peterson said:

The tank is really coming together, hard to believe it's only a month old! 

You’re tellin me! My corals are growing too! I did sort of end up going hard on coral frag purchases, since I had a couple tanks to stock. And of course, still not done with stocking this little pico 😉 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

So I just noticed something growing on the side of my rock in the 7 gallon tank. I never look at this side of the tank, cause it’s obscured, but I may have to change that...lol

this is quite the surprise. The red started peeking around to the front, and there’s another small patch growing from the back of the rock towards the top too. Assuming it’s a monti

image.thumb.jpg.ed3167baa1e110e26644fae3bf4338e1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 4

Wow, your lil tank is looking awesome!!!

You say you're not done with stocking corals... Where are you going to put more once you have the current stuff glued down??? 

You already have some really nice pieces & excited to see the grown you get!

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Wow, your lil tank is looking awesome!!!

You say you're not done with stocking corals... Where are you going to put more once you have the current stuff glued down??? 

You already have some really nice pieces & excited to see the grown you get!

Well, I think I have an idea of where I want the last 2 pieces to go, then that makes room for a couple more frags to go into the “sand bed holding pattern” while I figure out a place for them too...lol

I think the rock on the left has a couple good spots left on it, and the rock on the right has that big blank space under and around the Blasto, as well as a couple little ledges on it that would be perfect for a tiny piece of sps or something. I dunno, I take my time glueing things down. No rush, I just want the placement to feel somewhat “natural”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The “thing” on my monti... Lol. Will be monitoring it closely, though I’m fairly certain it’s not an animal, so probably not a reef bug. I am resisting the urge to pick it off with the tip of a needle 

BCAEC688-E7E6-475A-9AA0-966870F0EB35.thumb.jpeg.2ecc5d76a5dc09d2807a773ab2ff5585.jpeg

C5C81790-7B6E-4FD8-8247-A7EC45C376D6.thumb.jpeg.a7ef671912ebb7e2a5234e82a8b4e953.jpeg

• Like 1
pricewayne
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

The “thing” on my monti... Lol. Will be monitoring it closely, though I’m fairly certain it’s not an animal, so probably not a reef bug. I am resisting the urge to pick it off with the tip of a needle 

BCAEC688-E7E6-475A-9AA0-966870F0EB35.thumb.jpeg.2ecc5d76a5dc09d2807a773ab2ff5585.jpeg

C5C81790-7B6E-4FD8-8247-A7EC45C376D6.thumb.jpeg.a7ef671912ebb7e2a5234e82a8b4e953.jpeg

It may be macro algae that's actually growing from the monti -- my birdsnest has a macroalgae growing from one of its branches... it's growing fast and it is seriously rooted to the coral. I've thought about clipping the branch off completely to keep it from overtaking the frag, but prob just going to watch it for a few more weeks.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

It may be macro algae that's actually growing from the monti -- my birdsnest has a macroalgae growing from one of its branches... it's growing fast and it is seriously rooted to the coral. I've thought about clipping the branch off completely to keep it from overtaking the frag, but prob just going to watch it for a few more weeks.

That’s sort of what it looks like to me, but I have set up my jewelers loupe with 30x magnification as a viewing port from which to monitor the situation...lol

image.thumb.jpg.aaa1c51a2395af9fa42d1556c83745e2.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
pricewayne
5 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

That’s sort of what it looks like to me, but I have set up my jewelers loupe with 30x magnification as a viewing port from which to monitor the situation...lol

image.thumb.jpg.804d86d1c967cfd950633a65f0bc2c03.jpg

Ah, yes. Much fancier than my view port

IMG_3203.thumb.jpg.ec669db23bb3a996371766e8dcda2b00.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Just now, pricewayne said:

Ah, yes. Much fancier than my view port

IMG_3203.thumb.jpg.ec669db23bb3a996371766e8dcda2b00.jpg

But yours is much more aesthetically pleasing. The loupe wasn’t actually intended for reef use, I use it in my other hobby, but it turned out to be the right tool for the job here!

• Like 1