MetaTank

MetaJANKs Old School Polished Turd

This guy is extra salty

Ooo invisible surface skimmer box!

call the skimmer police 🚔!

🤣 

MetaTank
3 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Impressive!  If I ever have GHA I may be asking to borrow that guy.  Lol.  

Yeah, and he moved to the plug next to it in the picture for "reference" when he was done with the first plug...It's like I put him down on the plug, and he said "What strange delicacy is THIS that you have presented to me....Al-Gee? YUM"

3 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Also looks like you could peel those zoas off those hairy plugs easily if you were so inclined.  Haha. 

Yeah, I probably could, but with this Astrea snail feasting on the algae, then I see no need currently. I peled off the zoas that are going into the Pico, because they were attached to a little rock, but I still get anxious about slipping a razor blade under them and peeling the mat...lol

2 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Ooo invisible surface skimmer box!

call the skimmer police 🚔!

🤣

Pretty sure you ARE the skimmer police at this point...LMAO :slap:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

MetaTank

The plug in the foreground he finished in a little under 24 hours, and moved on to the new plug a few minutes ago? Could been hours ago, it’s a snail after all...lol

But the clean plug in the foreground looked like the plug its currently on before I got it...lol...little lawnmower!

6F082EE1-FD81-4029-A985-09E0983FEF46.thumb.jpeg.39f27eac5acf732b686765ee70e143e6.jpeg

• Like 2

MetaTank

Couple hours later, he made a ton of progress on the 2nd frag plug...lol. He’s just working on the sides now. Good snail

64E8771E-F210-4714-B4BC-F0B60136FEF6.thumb.jpeg.f5d9b7984e0255a0e2b5db8edda207fa.jpeg

• Haha 2

Tigahboy

That snail deserves a raise and/or promotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MetaTank
17 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

That snail deserves a raise and/or promotion.

I haven’t been home to check, but if he moved on to the third plug I put near him, he gets the Key to the city

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

MetaTank

So I had purchased a coral a little over a week ago, from of all places...Petco. Don't Judge Me.  I went in for kitty litter, and noticed they had a saltwater section, and they had a few cheap frags. This particular stylophora, looked VERY brown under their 6500k T8, but I had a suspicion it would have theyse nice green polyps, and I thought maybe I could bring some color back to it.

It had ALSO encrusted 90% of the plug it was on, surprisingly enough. So I pulled the trigger and bought this thing. 

BF4E9FA1-B3B1-4634-BE9E-AD01C480F6F3.thumb.jpeg.11ca218f76c258a3c540f42e0eeed227.jpeg

It was 15 bucks. And has some nice branching. Well, when I brought it home, I decided to snip off part of the base of the frag plug, but dropped the coral in the process. After my fumble into a 5 gallon bucket, a little branch was dangling, and I quickly put the whole thing in my 7 gallon tank immediately after I dropped it. I shook it a little till the piece that broke off fell INTO my rock (RIP).

Now here's the funny part. Aside from the little branch I had just shaken off, there was ANOTHER branch that broke off, and I couldn't locate it. I successfully glued the mini colony to my rock, and checked the bucket I was cutting over...Nothing. So I cleaned up,and about 30 minutes after I had noticed the second missing branch, I found it, on the carpet. LOL. So I glued it back to a frag plug, and threw it into the Pico. It was pretty pissed for a couple days, but then.....

FCFE1BB9-C22B-4787-8618-B4E35222EFF7.thumb.jpeg.86b000b2b16a99b08fdcea814e37c116.jpeg

Awesome polyp extension! So I'm stoked. I successfully (and accidentially) fragged my first piece of SPS...haha!

48AE80EF-13C8-49A7-BAF4-9A3E42A0FE78.thumb.jpeg.48626177207f702a1cc17d9b565f3b70.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

MetaTank

I will confess, they had (what I think is) a purple stylophora, also looking very brown but healthy. I may try to pick that up as some point. It's clear that some of these frags sit in that tank for a while. What is looking brown now, will hopefully regain some of it's color in the coming months.

Also, the snail, Snapper, is a beast. He cleaned all the frag plugs that had GHA on them, and then moved onto the rock to keep working. Best $2 reef purchase, ever.

• Like 1

748S911

Metatank your pico is looking amazing so far... I need ur diy skimmer plan for ac20.  I got this oil slick on the surface, but its acting as an additional diffuser at this point!!! lmao.  

• Thanks 1

MetaTank
2 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Metatank your pico is looking amazing so far... I need ur diy skimmer plan for ac20.  I got this oil slick on the surface, but its acting as an additional diffuser at this point!!! lmao.  

Thanks! The skimmer just happened to work perfectly. It was just the plastic that the aquarium cling came in, and I cut some notches in it, drilled a couple holes and jammed some suction cups into the holes...lol

I didn't even have to cut the intake or anything. I know some people would want to, but I think the skimmer functions better this way when it extends all the way to the normal intake position on the HOB. I just made sure the notches were wide enough, and deep enough, that the skimmer can handle the multiple flow speeds flow from  the AC50. It's really been awesome so far.

• Like 2

MetaTank

Well,  both UPS and USPS came by my neighborhood, no CUC today 😢 

• Sad 4
  • Wow 1

MetaTank

Pretty much hate my power company right now...

822BBED7-7C28-4462-9DF6-B10C6FD97D9B.thumb.jpeg.723c052bdc5ebcf26f3471a0bfd9ab62.jpeg

• Wow 4

748S911

bust out the wooden spoon, every 15 min stir... lmao

MetaTank
Just now, 748S911 said:

bust out the wooden spoon, every 15 min stir... lmao

Problem is I pick up my daughter early Tuesday mornings, and I have to be asleep at an appropriate time on Monday nights. I may have to break down, buy a battery powered air pump or something. I really wish I had purchased a generator the other day when I was thinking about it...lol

748S911
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Problem is I pick up my daughter early Tuesday mornings, and I have to be asleep at an appropriate time on Monday nights. I may have to break down, buy a battery powered air pump or something. I really wish I had purchased a generator the other day when I was thinking about it...lol

pico generator? 🤔 what's that even look like?

car battery?

MetaTank
1 hour ago, 748S911 said:

pico generator? 🤔 what's that even look like?

car battery?

No, like an actual generator. LOL...This isn't the first time this has happened, and I reckon it won't be the last.

Wingy

Do you have a sun tea jar that you can set to a super slow drip.  If you set the jar up high above your tank that drip will create quite a bit of water movement.  You have a few days yet to look around and try things out.  

MetaTank
4 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Do you have a sun tea jar that you can set to a super slow drip.  If you set the jar up high above your tank that drip will create quite a bit of water movement.  You have a few days yet to look around and try things out.  

I think I'm just gonna blow bubbles in the tank with a turkey baster for 5 minutes before I go to sleep, and again when I wake up if the power is still off. But I dunno. At least I don't have a bunch of fish or anything

748S911
3 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I think I'm just gonna blow bubbles in the tank with a turkey baster for 5 minutes before I go to sleep, and again when I wake up if the power is still off. But I dunno. At least I don't have a bunch of fish or anything

I would just bite the bullet and get a batt operated air pump on amazon and run it overnight 

Wingy
11 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

What fun is that.  Come on, channel your inner MacGyver.  

pricewayne

Wonder if anyone here in LA has a generator you could borrow for the night? Maybe a post in general discussion to ask? If I had one I’d definitely let you borrow.

pricewayne

May even try calling a local fish store and see if you could borrow — they’ve got to have some on hand if any are nice enough to lend ya.

MetaTank
3 hours ago, pricewayne said:

May even try calling a local fish store and see if you could borrow — they’ve got to have some on hand if any are nice enough to lend ya.

I think it'll be okay, I'll just get water ready for a water change, but the power SHOULD only be off for 10 hours or so, and I may get some heat packs and place them around the tank, or float bottles of warm water in the tank to keep the temp up.

In other news, I checked to make sure I can still deliver for Postmates tonight, and I will have the ability to make a little money that way while I'm looking for something real. So....yay!

• Like 1

Tigahboy
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I think it'll be okay, I'll just get water ready for a water change, but the power SHOULD only be off for 10 hours or so, and I may get some heat packs and place them around the tank, or float bottles of warm water in the tank to keep the temp up.

Just set your alarm to wake up every hour and turkey baster blast each time.   😂

• Haha 1

MetaTank
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Just set your alarm to wake up every hour and turkey baster blast each time.   😂

Yeah, I may do that, set an alarm to make sure I hit it with the baster at like 3AM...lol

• Haha 4