Coral Vue Hydros

JBB's "YoUr FiLtR iS ToO cOoL" DisKolafied Old School Pico

jbb

A Little Blue
8 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I haven't done a water test yet. 

Probably should do that at some point

Go old school and test nothing like I do. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Go old school and test nothing like I do. 

Honestly these tanks are so small that 100% water changes to reset everything would be trivial. I do them on my current system and it takes about six hours to prep (making the water) and about an hour to mix the salt and do the change.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
57 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Honestly these tanks are so small that 100% water changes to reset everything would be trivial. I do them on my current system and it takes about six hours to prep (making the water) and about an hour to mix the salt and do the change.

Exactly. Or make 4-5 gallons of SW ready and do a small daily WC. If you pick a salt with DKH of around 10DKH and elevated Ca-Mg, you might even get away with dosing. 

• Like 1
jedimasterben
24 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Exactly. Or make 4-5 gallons of SW ready and do a small daily WC. If you pick a salt with DKH of around 10DKH and elevated Ca-Mg, you might even get away with dosing. 

meh, smaller changes are significantly less effective than single larger changes for most use cases. Not necessarily with dosing, though, corals that need dosing tend to dislike swings.

With the invention of the Big Gulp cup or other similar sized water vessel, large partial water changes are very easy on such small tanks 🙂

I don't see the point in doing anything smaller than maybe ~30-50% on tanks this small. You're already there anyway, just scoop or drain out a smidge more, easy peasy. Use a gallon container or similar so it's easy to measure replacement water.

The plan will most likely be 50% every Sunday. That should keep anything in the tank happy. The plan is to keep it simple.  

I plan to run a pump / heater / light / ato and that's it. Nothing fancy on this one. 

A Little Blue

5gallons which I kinda suggested (as a starting point) equals to 2X total water volume of 2.5gal. pico tank (probably more). With that being said, I do agree that larger, one time water change might be more effective in bring up stability, chemistry, replenish depleted trace element and lower NO3PO4 levels in troubled tank. What I meant was a constant, stable way to keep your pico in top notch shape. And if any issues do arise, then sure, larger WC still applies as a quick reboot solution. 

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

meh, smaller changes are significantly less effective than single larger changes for most use cases. Not necessarily with dosing, though, corals that need dosing tend to dislike swings.

A Little Blue
51 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

The plan will most likely be 50% every Sunday. That should keep anything in the tank happy. The plan is to keep it simple.  

I plan to run a pump / heater / light / ato and that's it. Nothing fancy on this one. 

Except that damned filter. 

3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Except that damned filter. 

Lol as it sits it can't even hold filter media. It's just a surface skimmer and a place to hide the ato sensor 

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Lol as it sits it can't even hold filter media. It's just a surface skimmer and a place to hide the ato sensor 

Why not? Use MarinePure brick or spheres. Cut them to size and toss it in there. You’re welcome. 🤣

9 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Why not? Use MarinePure brick or spheres. Cut them to size and toss it in there. You’re welcome. 🤣

There are no baskets / shelves to hold anything right now. I would just be tossing it in and hoping for the best. 

I was going to make an adjustable magnetic tray like I did in my old fusion 20 

A Little Blue

P.S if you want to use carbon, you can do something like this.....

take a thin (1/8” or 1/16”) acrylic, spread super glue or silicon on both sides and sprinkle coarse grain carbon over. Wait till it’s cured then proceed to the othe side. 

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

There are no baskets / shelves to hold anything right now. I would just be tossing it in and hoping for the best. 

I was going to make an adjustable magnetic tray like I did in my old fusion 20 

All MarinePure needs is some flow.  It doesn’t need water to rush through it. 

Just toss it in there. That’s all. It’s not like you gonna remove it anytime soon..... or ever. 😉

• Like 1
jedimasterben
36 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

5gallons which I kinda suggested (as a starting point) equals to 2X total water volume of 2.5gal. pico tank (probably more). With that being said, I do agree that larger, one time water change might be more effective in bring up stability, chemistry, replenish depleted trace element and lower NO3PO4 levels in troubled tank. What I meant was a constant, stable way to keep your pico in top notch shape. And if any issues do arise, then sure, larger WC still applies as a quick reboot solution. 

If you did, say, 10% daily, then after seven days you will have only changed ~52% of the water in the tank. Stretching to 30 days you're still only at 95% changed of the original volume. Not a bad thing if you're going for small changes, but yeah, doing a full change in a hurry can help more situations than it may hurt. Especially if you had mixed, say, 20-30 gallons at one time so that every water change you do will always bring you back to one set of parameters, that way there won't be any variance 🙂

but really, that's a lot of math, I think we are overcomplicating things 😁

• Haha 1
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

If you did, say, 10% daily, then after seven days you will have only changed ~52% of the water in the tank. Stretching to 30 days you're still only at 95% changed of the original volume. Not a bad thing if you're going for small changes, but yeah, doing a full change in a hurry can help more situations than it may hurt. Especially if you had mixed, say, 20-30 gallons at one time so that every water change you do will always bring you back to one set of parameters, that way there won't be any variance 🙂

but really, that's a lot of math, I think we are overcomplicating things 😁

I don’t think we are. We both agree that water changes, big or small are beneficial. 

In general.....

Either way, it will help your 2.5 pico thrive. 

Unless you’re super confident in your reefing skills, filtration and luck. 🤭🤣

19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I don’t think we are. We both agree that water changes, big or small are beneficial. 

In general.....

Either way, it will help your 2.5 pico thrive. 

Unless you’re super confident in your reefing skills, filtration and luck. 🤭🤣

oh, well mine is 3g so this rule doesn't apply to me :happydance:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, asting said:

Update?

Sitting in the same spot it was last time he posted...……..am sure he hasn't done a thing...…...

Hell am sure he has had time to stick a snack in his pie hole by now but not the tank I guess :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been out of town all but 3 days for work since 3/31. Had time to fill the ato and wash my panties then back on the road. 

18 hours ago, spectra said:

Sitting in the same spot it was last time he posted...……..am sure he hasn't done a thing...…...

Hell am sure he has had time to stick a snack in his pie hole by now but not the tank I guess :unsure:

Every part is highly accurate ☝️

11 hours ago, seabass said:

I like the pace of this build.

I should probably slow down a bit so people can follow along. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7