Cultivated Reef

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion

Snow_Phoenix

Derp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix

Well, I decided what the heck - might as well pull the trigger and introduce my hermit tonight itself. I named/renamed him Derp, because quite frankly, most hermits are jerks anyway. 

He lost a claw during a molt a few days ago, but is otherwise in high spirits. I turn my back from the tank for about 2 minutes and I already caught him munching on some algae on the rocks with Grump. Good to know they became fast friends. :happy:

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Cute

Thank you! I think he's under the Calcinus genus, but I'm not sure what species name, exactly. He was sold to me as a brown legged hermit. I classify him as my 'unique specimen' for this tank. :happy:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Thank you! I think he's under the Calcinus genus, but I'm not sure what species name, exactly. He was sold to me as a brown legged hermit. I classify him as my 'unique specimen' for this tank. :happy:

That's really interesting, did you buy from a chain store or local LFS? Also how is the search for spare shells? I am seriously struggling. My plan of using FW Shells has failed as my Assassin Snails seems to have gone into a period of Pacifism..... 

Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That's really interesting, did you buy from a chain store or local LFS? Also how is the search for spare shells? I am seriously struggling. My plan of using FW Shells has failed as my Assassin Snails seems to have gone into a period of Pacifism..... 

I bought it from my LFS. A lot of animals (even fish) often come mislabeled in the store, so I usually pick up weird inverts that catch my eye. 

Have you tried visiting those beachfront stores for tourists? They sometimes sell these empty seashells in little netted bags for kids. I notice some of the shells can be used by the hermits (not all of them will be accepted, most will be rejected by the crab). Just rinse the shells thoroughly in tap water, and then saltwater, and then place them around your tank. If you don't like staring at empty shells, hide them in the back, behind your rocks. 

Assassin snails have spiral-shaped conical shells which are usually not accepted by saltwater hermits. That's probably why it didn't work. Babylonia snail shells usually work:

743762719_Seashells1.JPG.a134f17a1d6159049295b1d7c00fa3c7.JPG

• Like 2

That's a cool way of picking up something different. I not had anything mislabelled in a while, not since my last Betta (HE was in a Sorority of sorts - severely beaten bless him) 

I meant that my Assassin snails have stopped eating. They have a colony of Ramshorn, Apple and Mystery to work through and yet nothing. I saw a very slow speed chase yesterday, must have failed. Well next week I will be in Japan for a business trip so I will be looking out for something interesting to place in the tank. No large shells have turned up in a while now actually....

Thank you for your help. I will keep an eye out, might try Ikea see if they have any as "Decor"

Snow_Phoenix
56 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That's a cool way of picking up something different. I not had anything mislabelled in a while, not since my last Betta (HE was in a Sorority of sorts - severely beaten bless him) 

I meant that my Assassin snails have stopped eating. They have a colony of Ramshorn, Apple and Mystery to work through and yet nothing. I saw a very slow speed chase yesterday, must have failed. Well next week I will be in Japan for a business trip so I will be looking out for something interesting to place in the tank. No large shells have turned up in a while now actually....

Thank you for your help. I will keep an eye out, might try Ikea see if they have any as "Decor"

Oh! Sorry for the confusion. That is strange. Have to tried introducing some MTS to them instead? The Assassins at my LFS went nuts for MTS. Ramshorns, not so much. :lol:

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Today I took a trip to the LFS, and came home with my very first lobo brain which was offered on sale, and a small frag of Rainbow Implosion zoanthids. omgomgomg

I also transferred three of my zoa frags at a go - I have present topshot view of the tank which I will upload later. 

Here are the new pieces:

The other three zoa frags don't really have an official name, I *think. One looks like dragon eyes, but the less cooler version with enormous polyps. The second is bright pink in the center with gray skirts, and also has giant polyps. The third is a very old frag that is lighter red in the center with a darker red skirt - now with multiple heads. I'm hoping the color will improve in the Pico, because I was quite sure they were peach and red when I first bought them months ago.

The lights are off for the night, but I'll give you guys a FTS. (It's not that fancy - just a bunch of random frags being thrown around). Derp keeps rescaping my shrooms. Silly little nut has been parking his butt right in the middle of my shroom pile and scattering them. The pile no longer looks pretty, because I keep have to reposition it everytime Derp messes with it, but all my corals are doing well, so I guess that's good enough.

The clove polyps popped up three new tiny heads (that was quick!) so it's nice to see something actually growing in this tank, besides my caulerpa. :happy:

Also, there's something very interesting I discovered in Miko's QT today! Turns out his little rock piece hosted not one, but TWO hitchiker crabs! I spotted the second crab today trying to scavenge for Hikari Marine S pellets that I was feeding my blenny. It's 1.5x bigger than the first hitchiker crab, Grump, that I pulled out of QT not too long ago. It appears to be the same type as Grump too, but I need to be check to be sure. If it is, I'll transfer that big guy over to the Pico as well.

So I guess we'll be having a very 'crabby' pico for this round. :lol:

I still haven't decided what type of shrimp to put into the little reef, but I guess there's plenty of time to decide so I'm not too fussed about it. I'm mostly eyeing on what other corals I can bring in - there were some Mohawk and fruit loop frags that I was eyeing at the store today too, so I *might get those if they're still there in one to two weeks. This time, I'll try sticking it to my LR in hopes that it'll grow over the rock in time. It's either that, or a frag of neon GSP. Not sure. 🤔

• Like 6

Awesome corals, I like the lobo!

With Derp's little destruction antics he confirms my thoughts on not adding a hermit crab to my pico.

They sure are entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Today I took a trip to the LFS, and came home with my very first lobo brain which was offered on sale, and a small frag of Rainbow Implosion zoanthids. omgomgomg

I also transferred three of my zoa frags at a go - I have present topshot view of the tank which I will upload later. 

Here are the new pieces:

The other three zoa frags don't really have an official name, I *think. One looks like dragon eyes, but the less cooler version with enormous polyps. The second is bright pink in the center with gray skirts, and also has giant polyps. The third is a very old frag that is lighter red in the center with a darker red skirt - now with multiple heads. I'm hoping the color will improve in the Pico, because I was quite sure they were peach and red when I first bought them months ago.

The lights are off for the night, but I'll give you guys a FTS. (It's not that fancy - just a bunch of random frags being thrown around). Derp keeps rescaping my shrooms. Silly little nut has been parking his butt right in the middle of my shroom pile and scattering them. The pile no longer looks pretty, because I keep have to reposition it everytime Derp messes with it, but all my corals are doing well, so I guess that's good enough.

The clove polyps popped up three new tiny heads (that was quick!) so it's nice to see something actually growing in this tank, besides my caulerpa. :happy:

Also, there's something very interesting I discovered in Miko's QT today! Turns out his little rock piece hosted not one, but TWO hitchiker crabs! I spotted the second crab today trying to scavenge for Hikari Marine S pellets that I was feeding my blenny. It's 1.5x bigger than the first hitchiker crab, Grump, that I pulled out of QT not too long ago. It appears to be the same type as Grump too, but I need to be check to be sure. If it is, I'll transfer that big guy over to the Pico as well.

So I guess we'll be having a very 'crabby' pico for this round. :lol:

I still haven't decided what type of shrimp to put into the little reef, but I guess there's plenty of time to decide so I'm not too fussed about it. I'm mostly eyeing on what other corals I can bring in - there were some Mohawk and fruit loop frags that I was eyeing at the store today too, so I *might get those if they're still there in one to two weeks. This time, I'll try sticking it to my LR in hopes that it'll grow over the rock in time. It's either that, or a frag of neon GSP. Not sure. 🤔

Nice looking corals. 😊

• Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
8 hours ago, yoshii said:

Wow I love those Rainbow Implosions! 😍

Excited for the FTS!

You won't have to wait long. I'll grab a pic after breakfast. Just woke up lol. And I love those zoas too. I like zoas with large, colorful polyps. 😊

7 hours ago, Wendy said:

Awesome corals, I like the lobo!

With Derp's little destruction antics he confirms my thoughts on not adding a hermit crab to my pico.

They sure are entertaining!

Problem with Derp is he is super clumsy. His 'shell' keeps bowling over stuff whenever he moves. Ugh. 🙄

But yes, he is entertaining. I had to fish him out of my macro last night before heading off to bed. Turns out he decided to dumpster dive in the wrong pile of green stuff in search for food. He was pretty badly tangled in caulerpa strands, but was otherwise alright. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Snow_Phoenix

My green yuma was looking a bit off after I turned the lights on for the day. Took me a while to realize that I've almost lost an inch of water due to evaporation. So I quickly topped it off:

20190412_103232.thumb.jpg.3dd58b928a2feefd49bd4b8f5e35c482.jpg

I only needed to use 1.5 cups of water from that bucket. I added 1 drop of dKH buffer and 1 drop of zooplankton. I know it's not shown here, but I also add a sesame-sized pinch of reef roids to the mix before stirring it with a chopstick.

This is the first time I'm feeding the corals in the tank reef roids, so I'm not sure how it will affect my nitrate or phosphate levels. I may get a bit of algae (hopefully not) or may escape unscathed (please yes!). 

Once the corals look a bit puffier, I'll give you guys a preview of the tank. 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Wish I could say that I'm all caught up, but I'll be following along from here.  Looking forward to the FTS.

Hi Seabass! Nice to see you in here. 😎

I need to catch up properly in your thread too. We have many wonderful entries this time. :happy:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

We have many wonderful entries this time.

OMG, it takes forever just trying to keep up.  I need some people to start dropping out. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Snow_Phoenix

Pics as promised:

IMG_20190412_112432_637.thumb.jpg.589e5572fb10e704fe3459f661106630.jpg

IMG_20190412_112432_638.thumb.jpg.7b686ad56911dbdc73bf22440e09e06b.jpg

IMG_20190412_112432_639.thumb.jpg.85b9065f6c2a8f0c33e9b8f87eca68a9.jpg

IMG_20190412_112432_645.thumb.jpg.82d612f1c06d41d4d812be335710bc6d.jpg

IMG_20190409_113523_989.thumb.jpg.0901e170810fcb27cbd5575744d9d20b.jpg

Only the hairy mushroom is an older pic - because right now it is a bit flopped over and not fully open yet. The rest of the pics were taken mins ago.

I just tried taking FTS but it was so bland and disappointing though. Through topshot/sideshot view, you can see almost everything. But through the frontview, my lobo blocks out my entire zoa collection, the shroom pile looks a mess and my yuma is still a bit shrunken. I'll try taking another shot in the evening. Hopefully everything will look better then. 

Next WC comes on Sunday. If anything goes awry, I'll WC immediately. I'm a bit worried about the lobo. I thought I saw a small white protusion on one side of the coral but I'm not sure. Derp had knocked my yellow yuma into it this morning so it was a little bit stung, but I didn't think it was too bad because both corals were only in contact with one another for few mins. 

I'll monitor it anyway. 

• Like 5

If you don't like a FTS from the front, can we get a top down FTS? :flower:

Is the white on the lobo the spot visible on the right side in the pic? It looks like it will return to normal soon

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
9 minutes ago, yoshii said:

If you don't like a FTS from the front, can we get a top down FTS? :flower:

Is the white on the lobo the spot visible on the right side in the pic? It looks like it will return to normal soon

Sure, I can do that. Otherwise, you genuinely can't see everything from the front.

Yeah, I was worried about that white bit. Problem is, this lobo was on sale along with a batch of dying, semi-dying lobos at the store. It's why they were all priced at around 25% of their original value. This looked perfectly fine to me at the store, and it looked fine yesterday in my tank, but I'm worried my light is too strong since it's directly under the PAR38. Otherwise I can do a bit of a switch-around and move it to the right side of the tank, and move some of my yumas back to the left side of the tank. I'm still trying to figure out placement with everything. 

• Like 1