Snow_Phoenix

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion - Stripping Down.

Derp  

18 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix

FTS on 1/7/19:

LRM_EXPORT_268700277551693_20190702_093226313.thumb.jpeg.81e0e4d379add816f1577fd3d4448eb2.jpeg

Topshot on 1/7/19:

LRM_EXPORT_1271965714513_20190702_100834619.thumb.jpeg.5f635ccb71134425871a1ed1b1d875b2.jpeg

I have a lot of negative space now. Need to fill it all up with more shrooms. Might also add a tiny NPS like a gorg to fill out the background. That, and a tiny pico-friendly shrimp. 😊

• Like 5

Snow_Phoenix

This is my oldest shroom colony to date:

LRM_EXPORT_970943431113_20190702_100333597.thumb.jpeg.4e067c6b4533a8326708c11e697e6e1a.jpeg

It is actually three average green rhodactis, but there is a red discosoma with blue bumps which originated from my previous mantis shrimp, Morpheus's tank. 

And here is my bullseye rhodactis. Need to get a few more of these because they look beautiful:

LRM_EXPORT_1109330869706_20190702_100551984.thumb.jpeg.785ef8c5a9e34921c80b57466849d2c6.jpeg

• Like 6

CalvinKlein

Very nice! I love your mushrooms! I have a mushroom tank too. But currently encountering some random melting issues.

Care to share your water params?

Mainly temp, salinity, kH and pH?

Snow_Phoenix
On 7/4/2019 at 6:12 AM, CalvinKlein said:

Very nice! I love your mushrooms! I have a mushroom tank too. But currently encountering some random melting issues.

Care to share your water params?

Mainly temp, salinity, kH and pH?

To be honest, I haven't checked anything except salinity for the past few weeks. Salinity is kept at 1.024 most of the time. Because of the high evaporation rate, it can spike up to 1.025+ so I have to top-off every two to three days. 

I'm not sure about your melting issues. Sometimes I have melting issues with my zoas in my larger reeftank, which is strange, because it only afflicts a certain type and the rest of my zoas + corals show no signs of melting. With regards to this tank, I haven't had any shrooms melt away yet. They seem to be quite hardy and tolerant of my lack of WCs. 

Snow_Phoenix

So, I know it's been a while since I updated, but just wanted to swing by and say the shrooms overall are doing quite well. I might WC again at the end of this week, and I think my leather will be less moody if I do it.

Anyhow, here's my green hairy shroom today (it's not a morning-coral :lol:😞

And this is my Yellow Yuma:

They now list yellow yumas as 'premium' at my LFS and have tripled/quadrupled the prices on one tiny head. I'm super-glad I managed to acquire this lil' guy last year before the price hike. My LFS are clearing out a lot of green Yumas though at reasonable prices. After I lost my green yuma - it just decided to shrivel, gape and detach from the rock one day - I think I'll pick one up, provided it doesn't pinch the wallet. Depending on the size of the yuma, it may either go into the Pico or my larger reeftank. Yumas can pack a sting and even though you can pile them against each other, I noticed you can't pile them against the normal rhodactis morphs. 

There's actually various types of yumas (dual/tri-colored variants) available at both my LFSes, but as pretty as they are, they're simply too expensive for me. So I'll settle for the more common, single-colored varieties instead. 🙂

T

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Snow_Phoenix

Just wanted to update: I am battling flatworms (again!). 😓

It has come to a point that this little pico, which has been my joy, has become a source of stress. I even lost Scarlet the purple hitchiker crab yesterday. 

I am genuinely thinking of scraping the whole thing off. Dipping everything again, QTing the corals and then *when they are flatworm-free, move the whole bunch into my 60G. My only concern is Miko, my TSB. Prowler can be easily slipped into my larger reef, but Miko will be up against my Starry, Thanos. 

I will definitely give it more thought. I put a lot of care and effort in this little tank - would hate to tear it down. But I am struggling with it at the same time. 😔

• Sad 3

kimdawg

So sorry about the flatworms again.  I had them also.  I dipped the rocks and did lots of cleaning to help get rid of the majority.  My little blue fish seems to have eaten the rest.  I hope you are able to keep the tank, I enjoy your pictures of the mushrooms and reading about it.

• Like 2

Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

So sorry about the flatworms again.  I had them also.  I dipped the rocks and did lots of cleaning to help get rid of the majority.  My little blue fish seems to have eaten the rest.  I hope you are able to keep the tank, I enjoy your pictures of the mushrooms and reading about it.

What type of fish is yours, if I might ask? I was honestly wondering if there is anything willing to eat the pests - I can rehome the fish later, if this can help me salvage the pico somehow. 😓

seabass
51 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Just wanted to update: I am battling flatworms (again!).

Have you tried Levamisole?  I successfully used it with a bunch of Flatworm eXit resistant flatworms.

Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Have you tried Levamisole?  I successfully used it with a bunch of Flatworm eXit resistant flatworms.

We can't get it from shops here - I tried to purchase it through online vendors, but anything with fenbendazole (or of that ilk) is sold in large cartons and almost RM 400 excluding shipping. Too expensive for me. 😞

I might try to check on the LFSes up north - maybe they have something similar. Singapore is another option, but I'll have to travel across the border and it'll be quite the hassle (and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to take meds back into my country without some form of prescription/permit, even if those are animal meds). 🤔

• Like 2

kimdawg
38 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

What type of fish is yours, if I might ask? I was honestly wondering if there is anything willing to eat the pests - I can rehome the fish later, if this can help me salvage the pico somehow. 😓

I ordered him from liveaquaria they called him a blue sapphire damselfish.  It may be the springers damsel that is reported to eat flatworms.  I know you can not order from them but maybe you can look at the picture and get something close.  I think it is the same fish that Tigah boy has in his pico that is eating flatworms.  If you read through the last page of my thread I got a lot of great advice on flatworms.  I hope some of this info will help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1