Cultivated Reef

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion

Snow_Phoenix

Derp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix
2 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Nice hairy shroom.  Those will fill the tank with color quickly.

I have a blue version in my nano but it has remained tiny throughout the months. Not sure why. 🤔

I've seen hairys extend as wide as small plates over time. I used to own a green hairy shroom many years ago that was easily 8" across on a good day. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
Snow_Phoenix

Just wanted to swing by and say I performed my first WC on the pico about 3 hours ago using Fritz RPM. I couldn't drain my tank all the way because my siphon is large and actually meant for larger tanks. So I could only drain 90% of the tank, and do a 90% WC, but I think that's alright.

I also spotted this mini striped conch-snail creature with a red foot in my nano. It's very tiny, but I know it's very, very good at eating film algae. So I transported it into the Pico and it moved so fast behind the rock before I could snap a pic of it in the tank. Here's a very old pic of it in my nano however:

I'm also looking into getting some sort of shrimp for this tank in the far future. There was a very, very unique specimen from a LFS up north, but I couldn't get a hold of it due to the shipping cost/clause. I'm still trying my best to get a hold of a Sugarcane shrimp, but it often comes mislabeled in shipments, so it's a sort of 'your luck' kind of thing, and can't be ordered. Another option was either a Female/Male White Spotted Nem shrimp or another Saron. I have owned both types, and I currently still have a Saron in my nano. I love how he's able to change colors every night like a chameleon, and the ones we get here so far have been reef safe. 

I'm not planning on getting Sexy shrimp. They too small and too costly for their size. 

• Like 8

I like that little snail! Maybe a whelk? Either way it's neat! I have a thing for snails, some of my favorite things in the hobby.

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
9 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

I like that little snail! Maybe a whelk? Either way it's neat! I have a thing for snails, some of my favorite things in the hobby.

Could be a whelk. 🤔

It came in as a hitchiker, so I honestly don't know what it is. A close-up pic makes it look more conch-like than snail-like. It's roughly the size of half a pea, and hasn't grown at all since I had it. 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Tomorrow I'll be transferring over some more mushrooms - rhodactis, this time, which are much, much smaller in size as compared to my Hairy shrooms. The Yumas should be transferred sometime next Tuesday. And then I'll pull over my 'sickly' discolored Acro frag, and a few of my zoas. I'll also add the clove polyp somewhere in between. I'll give a FTS once I transfer the rhodactis shroom pile over. Hopefully it'll look okay.

Tank is otherwise doing alright. 🙂 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix

So I transferred over my Rhodactis shrooms to the pico:

I am however, not to sold on the 'arrangement' so I might fiddle around with the pile later if I don't like the look of it. In the meantime, my Yumas aren't as fluffy or bubbly as before in my nano, so I'm planning on transferring them in next - possibly around Tuesday (?), alongside with a small frag of orange clove polyps. The zoa frags should come in on Friday next week, and I *might pull over my neon GSP frag too. That frag was partially roasted under my Prime, so I'm hoping given time, it'll recover in the Pico. Sickly Acro frag will be transferred as well. 

Once this first 'batch' of transfers are complete, I'll post a FTS so that you can see how the tank looks like. It's nothing too fancy, tbh, but the shrooms do add a burst of color. 

When I tear down my 20G nano to be upgraded, I'll move over a small pink leather finger that I fragged myself, as well as two small leather coral pieces* (*tentatively - I might not end up moving these two if the tank looks too crowded). My main focus will always be the shrooms. I'll be hunting down other shroom colors - such as pink and orange yumas, blue/red/teal/dark purple rhodactises etc. The more assorted variety, the better, I feel. Stay tuned. 🙂

Also, this tank is officially known now as the 'Mushroom Mansion'. Once my blenny goes in, it'll be renamed to 'Miko's Mushroom Mansion', because this will be his tank. (No plans to add him soon, so don't worry).

My hermit will be added some time tomorrow - I think the GHA strands on my grape caulerpa needs to be tackled before it gets out of control. 

• Like 7
Snow_Phoenix
3 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Looks good, i like the pile o shrooms lol

Thank you! More piles to come, in weeks to come! I'm planning on filling up that sandbed with as much color as possible. :happy:

• Like 1
On 4/4/2019 at 9:44 PM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Could be a whelk. 🤔

It came in as a hitchiker, so I honestly don't know what it is. A close-up pic makes it look more conch-like than snail-like. It's roughly the size of half a pea, and hasn't grown at all since I had it. 

Euplica scripta I think...

Very good algae eater snail if so...and breeds in our tanks. 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Euplica scripta I think...

Very good algae eater snail if so...and breeds in our tanks. 

I only have one of it - so I don't think it can breed on its own. Lay unfertilized eggs, maybe, though. 🤔

Snow_Phoenix

It appears I have two variants of grape caulerpa. The first variant is a much darker shade of green with smaller 'grapes' that cluster together in true grape fashion. 

20190406_184645.thumb.jpg.13a7ed3f86042f25e52b90ed2c96c0f4.jpg

The second variant is larger and lighter green, with each 'grape' usually spread out in a thicker strand. The roots are also stubbier.

IMG_20190406_154517_394.thumb.jpg.9fcf50d38c435994c24fb7350e7c6fae.jpg

Oh, and lastly. I added another forked-stick-rock with my ultra green zoas in the pico. My scape is now officially all over the place and a mess. I like it though. 

Tomorrow should be another 90% WC day. 😊

IMG_20190406_154249_444.jpg

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
31 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I think with all the additions, we need a fts!!

I was planning on doing a proper FTS once I transfer the yumas + zoa frags + clove polyps. (Should take about ~1 week)

Keep everyone in suspense until then! 😈

(Otherwise, tank is still empty - we just have macro + shroom pile). 😕

Also, Dude the hermit needs to go in first! It'll be his first official tank pic! 🤔

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix

I also forgot something - I was cleaning out the QT that holds my TSB today. Nothing much except siphoning out a few stray uneaten pellets in the tank. I had to lift up the lone LR piece and both the blenny and hitchiker crab bolted from the rock and into the tank. 

I thought I could scoop up the crab to get a closer look at him (since Yoshii said he *might be a baddie several posts back) so I did it and put him in a tiny cup. The crab shed one of his claws instantly! :unsure:

Dude was like: 'Here, take this, you  strange two-legged beast. Just don't eat me.'

And I'm like: 'Uhh...thanks?' :blink:

Anyway, I took a quick pic of him - I think he's some sort of mithrax. The tips of his claws are white and blunt-edged. And he's constantly pecking at the rock or scavenging for pellets. 

20190406_184324.thumb.jpg.f81eefc1bf06eeb4ff5e05f6838d77c8.jpg

I slowly put him back in QT. I know he'll regrow that lost claw but I hope I didn't stress him out too much. 

He seems to be the good sort, so I'll keep him for the pico. 

• Like 5
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

I also forgot something - I was cleaning out the QT that holds my TSB today. Nothing much except siphoning out a few stray uneaten pellets in the tank. I had to lift up the lone LR piece and both the blenny and hitchiker crab bolted from the rock and into the tank. 

I thought I could scoop up the crab to get a closer look at him (since Yoshii said he *might be a baddie several posts back) so I did it and put him in a tiny cup. The crab shed one of his claws instantly! :unsure:

Dude was like: 'Here, take this  strange two-legged beast. Just don't eat me.'

And I'm like: 'Uhh...thanks?' :blink:

Anyway, I took a quick pic of him - I think he's some sort of mithrax. The tips of his claws are white and blunt-edged. And he's constantly pecking at the rock or scavenging for pellets. 

20190406_184324.thumb.jpg.f81eefc1bf06eeb4ff5e05f6838d77c8.jpg

I slowly put him back in QT. I know he'll regrow that lost claw but I hope I didn't stress him out too much. 

He seems to be the good sort, so I'll keep him for the pico. 

He’s cute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
7 hours ago, yoshii said:

Ooh love the shroom pile!

Glad to hear the crab is a good citizen 🙂 He is cute!

18 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love the mushroom pile too.  I can't wait to see the FTS.

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The shrooms are beautiful....there is someone on Facebook selling a shrooms rock similar that I keep eyeballing.

Thank you guys so much! Hope the FTS won't disappoint. I personally don't think it is anything too fantastic lol. 

• Like 2