Top Shelf Aquatics

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion

Snow_Phoenix

Derp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix

Looks like I have more or less figured what sort of crab Scarlet is: Paractaea monodi. 

Screenshot_20190506-101700_Dolphin.thumb.jpg.f35b3c30047c4cf24132166d7f56bf06.jpg

(Pic taken from wetwebmedia for reference)

It is a type of xanthid crab, apparently. 

My red mini carpet nem is also showing signs of improvement. It is still bleached but more pink than before and has doubled in size. 

IMG_20190506_100910_213.thumb.jpg.f3f361af84025798674cf6add1aff766.jpg

I still haven't figured out what sort of crab Grump is though, but I will keep looking. Scarlet can apparently grow quite large over time. So I guess when he does, I might have to shift him to the sump of my 60G. We'll see. 

• Like 6
Snow_Phoenix

I have some bad news. After the whole filter-not-turned-on-for-12-hours incident, my lobo has definitely taken a turn for the worse. I can see a bit of skeleton poking through the flesh at the rim. I'll upload a pic tomorrow morning, but it doesn't look good. 😥

I am however, still sticking to 2x 90% WCs per week. My other coral are alive and okay, but my fern caulerpa is shriveling (possibly due to low nutrients). It doesn't help that Derp keeps uprooting it and send it spinning across my tank almost every hour: :sideeyes:

Everything seems at stasis, even growth. Except for my finger leather, which is really extending bit by bit as the days move on. I'll keep documenting and update this thread if anything interesting happens. For now, with the exception of the lobo, and maybe even my GSP, all other livestock are doing fine. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Dear Lord, no! Don't encourage him!

The last thing punks like him need is encouragement lol.

Would a Lugol's iodine dip help the lobo, you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The last thing punks like him need is encouragement lol.

Would a Lugol's iodine dip help the lobo, you think?

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. It certainly helped my finger leather. 🤔

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

This is the lobo that is not doing so well 😕:

IMG_20190508_104829_559.thumb.jpg.5d8d6762efae95f458ab12a8ec658c8e.jpg

But here are two of my newest leathers showing some PE: 

IMG_20190508_104511_215.thumb.jpg.a55aaaf0f58cf84bb3d27568d813c051.jpg

IMG_20190508_104700_744.thumb.jpg.c1b6a35b38a8ce2b88659d0e97b14542.jpg

I swear this tank confuses me sometimes. 😕

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
Snow_Phoenix

I think this whole issue with the lobo going downhill was exacerbated by me feeding this tank frozen (for the first time) two days ago as well. I fed a bit of frozen brine shrimp for the sake of my goby (which never showed up to eat it anyway) and I noticed my lobo has deteriorated considerably since then. Anyhow, I am due for a weekly WC today evening, so hopefully this will help. I will give the coral an iodine dip later as well, as suggested.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
Snow_Phoenix

Hey guys. My tank is still chugging along and the lobo is still hanging on. 

But today I am updating my journal thread to share a little bit more of where I live and where I come from. I live in Malaysia, which is basically a muslim country. We are currently in the midst of fasting month, and this is the annual Ramadan Bazaar near my home:

This month is very important for Muslims, and even though I am a non-Muslim, I try to visit the bazaar as many times as I can during this period - simply because you see everyone (and I mean literally people from all walks of life here) and it is the perfect haven to go food shopping. 😋

I couldn't capture too much footage because I was nursing a bad headache yesterday, and some of the traders don't like it. But here is a small slice of my home. 

And I just thought to share it with all of you. 🤗

• Like 12
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hey guys. My tank is still chugging along and the lobo is still hanging on. 

But today I am updating my journal thread to share a little bit more of where I live and where I come from. I live in Malaysia, which is basically a muslim country. We are currently in the midst of fasting month, and this is the annual Ramadan Bazaar near my home:

This month is very important for Muslims, and even though I am a non-Muslim, I try to visit the bazaar as many times as I can during this period - simply because you see everyone (and I mean literally people from all walks of life here) and it is the perfect haven to go food shopping. 😋

I couldn't capture too much footage because I was nursing a bad headache yesterday, and some of the traders don't like it. But here is a small slice of my home. 

And I just thought to share it with all of you. 🤗

Looks yummy! Thank you for sharing. 😊

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
5 minutes ago, ef4life said:

I heard there are no speed limits on the roads in Malaysia is that true? 

:blink:

There are speed limits. Even in the highway, there are limits (usually 110 km/h). People exceed them at times, and they do get caught by the traffic police and are issued a 'saman' - 'ticket' for speeding. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

:blink:

There are speed limits. Even in the highway, there are limits (usually 110 km/h). People exceed them at times, and they do get caught by the traffic police and are issued a 'saman' - 'ticket' for speeding. 

👍 the person that told me that was lying then. He and his wife went there as missionaries for a few months. He didn’t like the food there, but everything you showed looked great lol

Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, ef4life said:

👍 the person that told me that was lying then. He and his wife went there as missionaries for a few months. He didn’t like the food there, but everything you showed looked great lol

Thank you. I know that in the smaller backroads in the eastern side of the peninsula or areas that lead towards the jungles, the speed limits aren't very clear. But the usual acceptable limit is 40km/h to 60km/h and there are signboards for these all over. School crossings will require you to drive <20km/h, of course. The limit largely depends on the area you're are travelling in, the population density/buildings nearby (school/hospitals etc.). It varies from place to place, basically. 

Yummy, yummy! The food looks great & I'd love to try one of each please 🙂

Even though I pretty much grew up on southern cooking in Texas, I LOVE to try & eat food from other cultures! YUM!

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
8 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Yummy, yummy! The food looks great & I'd love to try one of each please 🙂

Even though I pretty much grew up on southern cooking in Texas, I LOVE to try & eat food from other cultures! YUM!

The variety is vast, and the bazaar is the perfect place to see everything you can think of in one location. It can be expensive though, so we only head down to the bazaar twice or thrice a week. Otherwise, we stick to cooking curry at home. :lol:

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

I would love to check out that bazaar and eat all the things there.  

There is practically everything there - most stuff are fried or roasted though. But I love the medley of kuih we have. I will try to snap more pics/vids when I return. 😊

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yummmmy....looks really good! 

It is! 😋🍴

• Like 2

That reminds me of travelling, the food was amazing. It hits every single sense, not just taste. 

I remember eating Bubur Lambuk and Ramly Burgers (never tasted anything like it again) and the "meaning of life" i have forgotten the word for it, those were beautiful

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix
59 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That reminds me of travelling, the food was amazing. It hits every single sense, not just taste. 

I remember eating Bubur Lambuk and Ramly Burgers (never tasted anything like it again) and the "meaning of life" i have forgotten the word for it, those were beautiful

Oh yes, the Ramly burgers are the best! Those are a must have if you ever visit the country again. 😋

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Just a quick update:

I fell behind on maintenance with my Pico so there's a lot of diatoms (and pods) all over the glass. I haven't seen Prowler for the past two days, so I am a bit worried.

Tomorrow I will try moving the main LR pieces to the front and vacuum the sandbed behind it, because I think there's a lot of trapped detritus behind there.

I also moved out all my zoa frags except 1 unknown brown zoa, 1 frag with a small, diminished UC polyp and my rainbow infusions from my tank. The other zoa frags have been moved to my larger, 60G reef to grow out there. I also moved my not-so-happy green yuma out of the pico and to my 60G. The idea behind these shifts is so that I can have more room to stock various types of shrooms in the future, since this tank is dubbed the 'mushroom mansion' for a reason. 

I'm tentatively debating on moving out my red lobo to my 60G as well, *if the coral does not show any signs of improvement in the pico. 

Oh, and I've moved out Stubby, my weeping willow toadstool leather out into my larger tank too, because I think there is some sort of chemical warfare going on between my leather frags in the tank. (Not entirely sure)

Right now, I'm mostly worried over Prowler. I have Grump, Scarlet, Derp & Zani as my CUC, and they extremely efficient at cleaning up anything in the tank. Zani, especially, has proven himself to be quite the scavenger in my QT bin in the past. So yes, tomorrow I'll lift up the rocks and *hopefully Prowler is just cleverly hidden somewhere underneath one of them. 😞 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1