SaltCritters.com

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion

Snow_Phoenix

Derp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix

So today I added Prowler, the circus barred goby to the Mushroom Mansion.

I acclimated him for only 10 mins:

IMG_20190425_181237_678.thumb.jpg.1dd3ecbab91caef91ed75247f66ecab8.jpg

And he immediatedly settled next to my clove polyps.

IMG_20190425_181607_184.thumb.jpg.d4ae1365e8dd4a4a073c972cbd3daba9.jpg

IMG_20190425_181607_185.thumb.jpg.dd500ab72bb54481d9f59491251c10d8.jpg

Then he took shelter under my lobo and hasn't budged since. 

IMG_20190425_181809_875.thumb.jpg.483aa55574cec9a2b21d6ff8fad539e7.jpg

I favored his addition over Miko's simply because I haven't seen him eat properly in QT yet. Miko on the other hand is extremely stable, and can wait out in QT for another few weeks if need be. 

I skipped yesterday's WC because I was and still am sick. But tomorrow morning, I will perform a 90% WC as usual. 

I tore down my 20G nano today in preparation of my 60G, which should arrive some time tomorrow. While moving around all the rocks and animals into two bins, a chunk of my red pavona broke off. I didn't want to lose track of it, so I temporarily placed it next to my pink finger leather in the pico, although it hasn't been glued down yet. 

I may or may not keep it in the tank - considering the way a pavona piece grows, I might just move it back into the 60G when that tank is up and running. 

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

It is 12.40am now and look what I found wriggling in the muck of my 20G!

I'm doing an emergency transfer to the pico and saving as many of them as I can find. 😊

Good save! 😀

• Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Nice goby!  I'm tempted to add a fish now.  I was going to go fishless, but I'm jelly of all the fishies I see in all of your picos.

Get something small that has minimal bioload. I'm only putting in two fish in this and that's the max. If the tank was 5G, I could probably get away with another small one like YCG but I daren't risk it in a tank this small. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Get something small that has minimal bioload. I'm only putting in two fish in this and that's the max. If the tank was 5G, I could probably get away with another small one like YCG but I daren't risk it in a tank this small. 

what is the other fish you’re adding? So this pico will have 2 fish?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

It's now a little over 1am. I'm off for the night/morning. Here is one last shot of Derp. He just molted and regrew his lost claw:

IMG_20190426_005842_993.thumb.jpg.232292fccf0d559b482d954b794e8692.jpg

Night, NR! 

nighty night! Maybe he will be less derpy now that he has both claws again!

and you made me wanna add fish...lol! Have a nice evening!!

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Morning NR! 

Today I rescued another 2 spaghetti worms and half a bristleworm from the 20G and introduced them to my pico.

And I found Prowler exploring the tank - so glad he made it through his first night without any issue:

IMG_20190426_095612_425.thumb.jpg.24960759ee48bce28a59b9a24aa1f6cf.jpg

I'll be doing a 90% WC after breakfast. Both my acans were detached from top of the LR. It seems I will need more glue to anchor them properly to the rock. For now, I just loosely repositioned them in silent hope that Derp won't knock them down into my shroom pile. 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix

Morning NR! 

Today I rescued another 2 spaghetti worms and half a bristleworm from the 20G and introduced them to my pico.

And I found Prowler exploring the tank - so glad he made it through his first night without any issue:

IMG_20190426_095612_425.thumb.jpg.24960759ee48bce28a59b9a24aa1f6cf.jpg

I'll be doing a 90% WC after breakfast. Both my acans were detached from top of the LR. It seems I will need more glue to anchor them properly to the rock. For now, I just loosely repositioned them in silent hope that Derp won't knock them down into my shroom pile. 

• Like 5

So glad your cute little fish made it through his 1st night in the pico.

I hope he eats well for you & I'm jealous you got such a good lookin fish!

I'm off to bed now, so have an awesome day!

• Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
30 minutes ago, Wendy said:

So glad your cute little fish made it through his 1st night in the pico.

I hope he eats well for you & I'm jealous you got such a good lookin fish!

I'm off to bed now, so have an awesome day!

Thank you! He has reverted to his cryptic nature (as expected of his species) and is currently lurking somewhere behind my LR. 😊

Have a good night! 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix

Just completed a 90% WC about 30 mins ago. Gave the sandbed a little bit of a stir - accidently uprooted a spaghetti worm and sent it flying halfway across the tank. :unsure:

So far the corals overall are okay, but my green yuma seems to be having trouble adapting to this tank. At the prime of its health, this shroom can stretch up to 5" on a very good day. It was slowly shrinking in my nano, which is why I transferred it to my Pico in hopes it would get better. But it has remain shrunken, and the mouth is gaping a little, which is worrisome. I know Yumas don't propagate by splitting like hairy shrooms, so I'm unsure what it's trying to do exactly. For now, I'll just observe it. Maybe I'll move it out of this tank once the 60G is up and stabilized. The other three yumas are bubbly as ever.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix

Derp, victorious after his assault on one of the zoa towers:

IMG_20190426_182549_137.thumb.jpg.60060522c398600fea14bc9d24c19d54.jpg

IMG_20190426_182549_139.thumb.jpg.c2249babb2eb525c83bec4a2d31b2a6a.jpg

Just noticed this very curious black sponge with a yellow center. If Derp hadn't knocked over the rock, I doubt I would have seen it because it was angled somewhat to the back:

IMG_20190426_190056_740.thumb.jpg.882e94cb58d2d6e3ee2317c51b845a6e.jpg

Most of my galaxaura has become free-floating so I tried to salvage as many of the stems as I could by shoving them into some LR crevices. Good news is my green nepthea is finally coloring up very well:

IMG_20190426_192238_132.thumb.jpg.62568388122fb4a579c911e40a15cda7.jpg

My red mini carpet nem is still bleached but its foot is healing very, very well. I like how it angled itself towards the light source:

IMG_20190426_192404_518.thumb.jpg.2cdf626cf4a7ef89cca312275c96c5ff.jpg

Lastly, I caught Prowler hanging upside down my fern caulerpa. I startled him though when I tried to lean in to get a good look at him so he darted off behind my LR to sulk there. 🤣

I honestly wonder how I am supposed to feed him if I can't find him. Ideas, anyone? 🤔

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I honestly wonder how I am supposed to feed him if I can't find him. Ideas, anyone? 🤔

Does temporarily turning off the flow draw him out?  What are you trying to feed.  You might have to start out with something especially tasty.  Hopefully he won't require live food.  I might try frozen mysis (if that's not too big for him).  Otherwise, frozen cyclops if he's really small.  You might order a bunch of pods for him to eat until he starts eating prepared foods.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

Does temporarily turning off the flow draw him out?  What are you trying to feed.  You might have to start out with something especially tasty.  Hopefully he won't require live food.  I might try frozen mysis (if that's not too big for him).  Otherwise, frozen cyclops if he's really small.  You might order a bunch of pods for him to eat until he starts eating prepared foods.

Actually, turning off the flow seems to scare him into hiding. The tank is seeded with tons of pods, but most online sources list this fish as a carnivore. I'll give cyclops a try. The tricky part is finding him to target feed him. In my QT, I knew where he was because there were so few hiding spots. In this tank, he's practically an enigma. 

Snow_Phoenix

Quick update:

I purchased a 500ml bottle of Tisbe pods from my LFS to both seed my pico and feed my circus goby. 

I added around 250ml of pods to my Pico. The rest went into the storage bin that houses my fish from my previous 20G.

I caught Prowler darting out from behind the LR and take a few large gulps of pods, so at least I know he's eating something now, which is good. I'm hoping he'll acquire a taste for frozen, and perhaps even pellets later.

Also, this is currently the fastest growing coral in my tank: :wub:

And here are three of my four yumas - my pavona is at the back, and you can see the white underside of it:

The main two corals that are not doing well in this tank is my green yuma and my GSP (which never quite opened anyway). For the GSP, I think it might be a case of low nutrients, and for the yuma, I think it was already bleaching from my nano, and has never quite recovered from that. I moved it to the back right corner of the tank, where there are shadows from my light so that it won't bleach further. I personally don't think it'll make a full recovery - it looks really, really bad. The gaping mouth concerns me the most - I can actually see the rock underneath it, so the mouth is in effect, a small hole through the shroom. :unsure:

Everything else seems to be doing okay though. I'm slowly spacing apart my WCs. I'm hoping that in months to come and when the tank stabilizes fully, I'll be able to only perform 1 WC per week as opposed to 2.

Here's one last shot of Derp getting tangled in the weeds again: :sideeyes:

Currently I have no plans to further stock this tank - I'm devoting my attention to my 60G at the moment, and once that tank is wet and everything is moved in, I guess I'll have more time to tinker with my Pico. Sometimes, the best thing to do for a tank is to do nothing at all, and let it be. 

I will keep an eye out for more shrooms of interest though. Especially rhodactis and yuma shrooms. I still have a sandbed to cover. :happy:

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix

Oh, and this isn't exactly reef-related but I just wanted to show these two hibiscuses that my mother and I grew in our outdoor garden:

We're still looking out for different color morphs - we currently have yellow, dark orange and the standard red ones. Our neighbor has some wonderful white ones, but she's a bit weird and doesn't talk to us much, so we can't get a cutting from her to plant. I requested for a purple one - which is super rare, and the last time I checked, grows to the size of dinner plates on the highlands up north. 

So right now we're on the lookout for different colors, just for collection, pleasure and aesthetic purposes. :happy:

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I purchased a 500ml bottle of Tisbe pods from my LFS to both seed my pico and feed my circus goby. 

Do you mind me asking how much the LFS charged you? I need some neither tank I am running has any.

Snow_Phoenix
35 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Do you mind me asking how much the LFS charged you? I need some neither tank I am running has any.

I live in Malaysia - the charges will be very different from where you're currently located. I usually pay RM 18 for a 500ml bottle. 3 bottles will cost RM 50 (discounted rate). But since I know the manager well, and I did literally spend more than RM 2K+ in the shop this past month, he gave me 1 bottle for RM 15 today. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I ordered 3 kinds of pods from AlgaeBarn.com to boost my pod population.  Those pods are born and raised in Colorado!  

• Like 2