Innovative Marine Aquariums

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion

Snow_Phoenix

Derp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix

IMG_20190412_120013_732.thumb.jpg.cf481771d9fe0168503de0b8af5c6a19.jpg

Topshot view without any lens filters. It's a mess, I know. :blush:

But when the shrooms expand fully, they overlap one another and it usually looks much better. I'll see if an evening shot makes any difference. And move that lobo to the right-ish. 

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

So many corals already! 🙂 Looks good

Do you have to move the PAR to the side to take top-downs or is it normally off-center?

It is normally off-center. Because the holder is long and curved awkwardly, the light sits a good distance away from the clip. I tried clipping it on the back of the tank but it left the back half of my tank shadowed and a lot of excess light was reflected on the carpet below. This was the only way I could use the light as effectively as possible without making a special DIY clamp-holder-cabinet-thingy. :unsure:

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Anyone wants moar pics? :ninja:

Derp:

Hardworker:

New guy/hitchiker:

Miko: :wub:

I also rearranged some things around the pico - mainly took Yoshii's advice regarding the lobo. I *think the tank looks better now. New FTS and topshot views will be uploaded later. 🙂

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix
8 hours ago, yoshii said:

Yay FTS! Shrooms look happy! I really like the shroom garden look you have. Are you planning to keep most of your corals on/near the sandbed?

Yeah most likely, although I will try to fill up the top of the LR with something. LFS suggested some form of SPS, but I think the tank might be too young for sticks. 

• Like 1

I love the look of this tank.  I think I made a mistake when I glued my frags to bigger rocks.  It makes my tank look jumbled with so many big rocks, while your tank looks very sleek.

Snow_Phoenix
15 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I love the look of this tank.  I think I made a mistake when I glued my frags to bigger rocks.  It makes my tank look jumbled with so many big rocks, while your tank looks very sleek.

I actually think mine looks a bit messy, especially from a topshot view. 😋

But I like it when it is a bit disorganized. I originally thought of gluing my present zoa frags to my LR but I was worried they might just melt and I'll be stuck with an empty frag plug clinging on to my LR. I did see more stable, older frags at the store though - so maybe those might be safe to glue on the rock...?

I still plan on doing at least one small leather in this tank. It is a toss up between my pink finger frag or my green nepthea frag in the nano. I just need to transfer it over and find a suitable spot for it. Might get started on the whole thing some time next week only. 🤔

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

A mixture of both good and bad news here:

We'll start off with the good bits first.

My Clove Polyps are really kicking it off and has sprung up three new polyps, which are growing very quickly. 

My green zoas have also started to multiple and bopped out a new tiny head:

But, my tank is currently crawling with too many pods, which are troubling my other zoas and making them close up (especially the pink ones). With nothing to eat them, the pods have pretty much multiplied to plague-like proportions and are covering my glass, corals, rocks etc. etc. I guess introducing half a cupfull of tisbe pods into the tank wasn't exactly the brightest idea I've ever had in this hobby. :unsure:

My 20G nano is coming down sometime next week, so I slowly took out my pink leather frag from my nano and transferred it to my Pico late last night:

Now, on to the bad bit. This little pico is very, very young, but because I perform two large WCs twice a week, I have managed to keep the kH level relatively stable at around ~9, and kept the PO4 at almost 0ppm and nitrates at undetectable levels. I noticed sometime during the evening that my purple encrusting monti in my nano was bleaching (or so I thought) rather badly. By nightfall, half the coral was white as bone, and I knew it was RTNing. So I quickly detached it from my LR and did an emergency transfer to the pico in hopes to save it. 

Today morning I woke up to this:

The dead half is still dead, but the living half actually had PE! So I've decided to temporarily keep it in the Pico until I can get my larger system up and running (which should be within 1 to 2 weeks) and stabilized (which should be within a month). I had no plans on doing any form of SPS in this tank this soon, tbh. I did transfer my sickly Acro frag into this tank once while I was trying to figure out coral placements, but I returned it to my nano within a day. Otherwise, I was thinking of abstaining from any hard coral until my tank has matured long enough to hold a stick. 

I hope this little frag can bounce back in full in the pico though. Purple montis are extremely hard to come by at my LFS, and I was lucky to even get this frag-let. 

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix

Came back home to find Derp had fed my purple monti fraglet to my green hairy shroom. Had to gently extract the monti from the severely pissed off shroom while the perpetrator watched on with twitchy eyes. :sideeyes:

Anyhow, I did a 90% WC today and moved one of my melting Aussie acans from my nano to the pico. The coral looks better in the shroom mansion, although it is still too early to tell.

In the meantime, here's my little setup with the janky DIY lid and crooked light. 

20190414_200855.thumb.jpg.6afd339185b4e857a701f50544824d59.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
Snow_Phoenix
9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Hope your purple monti makes it. It is so pretty.

I know - and it took me a while to get it. I'm still hunting around for a purple cap for almost a year now. Derp really needs to stop rescaping. I mean, I know it's his tank and all, but he's being such a douche clown about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Snow_Phoenix

Well, Derp has been really pushing it from morning:

IMG_20190415_094636_299.thumb.jpg.80da26f1d5addee7f7e97e7f914ac1f4.jpg

Until evening:

IMG_20190415_185620_486.thumb.jpg.4dfbc45aed611c7a9156d87853940c73.jpg

If he wasn't so pink and adorable, I'd have booted him back to the nano by now. 🙄

As it is, I think I should practice some form of meditation. Or maybe eat a whole bar of Snickers. Maybe both. 😕

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
Snow_Phoenix

Derp and his early morning antics:

Waking up on a workday be like:

I think the purple monti is toast. I will have to check but Derp pretty much offed it when he fed it to my shroom. Tomorrow I will be performing another 90% WC. Overall, most of the pieces are doing very well with the exception of the purple monti and one small red acan head I was trying to salvage from my nano. The only issue I'm actively facing is the overpopulation of pods. Other than that, everything seems to work fine in close proximity. 

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Derp and his early morning antics:

Waking up on a workday be like:

I think the purple monti is toast. I will have to check but Derp pretty much offed it when he fed it to my shroom. Tomorrow I will be performing another 90% WC. Overall, most of the pieces are doing very well with the exception of the purple monti and one small red acan head I was trying to salvage from my nano. The only issue I'm actively facing is the overpopulation of pods. Other than that, everything seems to work fine in close proximity. 

That’s a shame about the monti. ........Derp is a punk  😄

• Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix
31 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That’s a shame about the monti. ........Derp is a punk  😄

I just checked the monti - the very edge of it still has a bit of purple left. So not all hope is lost. Derp isn't a punk - he's a downright a$$. 🤣

• Haha 2
Snow_Phoenix

By happenstance, I was walking past the library when I saw something scuttling at the bottom of my QT. Turned out to be the pebble crab I've been trying to fish out (very unsuccessfully) for the last couple of days.

I quickly pulled the lid off and scooped the little bugger out and plopped 'her' (I actually don't know if it's a she or he) into a cup.

Snapped a quick pic and realized this wasn't a 'pebble' crab as I'd originally thought, but had wicked cool red demon eyes, but blunt-edged claws and hairy legs. I named her Scarlet.

I know from experience the crab got along great with the Blenny because they were both sharing the same rock, and I've seen this crab pick pellets side-by-side with Miko. So I decided to introduce her to my Pico right away.

Three seconds in and she's already learnt the art of rescaping from Derp. I swear he's a bad influence. :sideeyes:

But then she found a spot she loved under my Yuma, and decided to crouch down there for a little while. 

So now we have three crabs (that I know of) in this tank: Scarlet, Grump & Derp. 

I still haven't decided what type of shrimp to do in my Pico. I'm personally torn between a White Spotted Nem Shrimp and a Pistol, but I guess this is subject to availability. Miko is definitely very restless in the QT. One very curious thing happened just now, while pulling out Scarlet, he quickly swam up and sat on my fingers (I had them cupped, because I was trying to get the crab out). I think he really didn't want me to remove his little crab-buddy without him.

He sat there quite a while too - I had to lower my whole hand back towards the rock before he swam off and decided to perch on it instead. 

Looks like we have the makings of a good friendship somewhere hidden there. I'll reunite them at the end of April, if the tank continues to operate smoothly. 🙂  

• Like 5
  • Wow 1