Pod Your Reef

Snow's 2.9G O.S.P.R. Mushroom Mansion

Snow_Phoenix

Derp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Derp stay, or should he be booted out of the Mushroom Mansion? Pick wisely, your answers *might* determine his future!

• Keep Derp. It's fun to watch him wreak havoc in your Pico.
    • Toss the bugger out. Hermits suck anyway.
    • Watch him for a while - if he keeps feeding one coral to another shroom again, kick him out!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2020 at 04:00 PM

Snow_Phoenix

Just one last shot before bed - water is crystal clear now: 

20190331_230703.thumb.jpg.14f2c8ae69c2ec3bfaa4927aa2eb5b6b.jpg

I know my scape isn't glorious or fantastic by any means, but Miko's mobile-rock-home will be moved into the tank once it's safe enough to add him. Plus, I do need whatever extra room I have to stock it with frags. :happydance:

Tomorrow I will began transferring my macro into the tank. (Some spaghetti worms will also be teleported into the tank over the next few days if levels look good. :ninja:)

So now it is a matter of patience and self-control - two things I'm not very good at in reefing, unfortunately. It is extremely tempting to just transfer everything over in one week, but this is a Pico, not a nano = less wiggle room to do such things due to the small water volume. So yes. Patience. 

tenor-1.gif.49d561d616fc7c748c6fa77038fb1862.gif

And I'm off to bed again. 'Nite, NR! 

rvumuv9q9fc11.gif.4b839b4d2e5ff63b38f2d1259f906917.gif

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix

Okay. So I have just added 3 different types of macro to this tank: Galaxaura, Grape Caulerpa and Fern Caulerpa. I skipped out on adding the chaeto because it was knotted with a bit of GHA. 

20190401_103005.thumb.jpg.51b83783d58ec5d15d3f020fa06e9516.jpg

I used a tiny wooden chopstick to help me 'plant' my macro. The tank is too small for me to keep both my hands in at once without bumping against the edges/rock/HOB (and even the light). 

So here is an official FTS on 1/4/2019:

20190401_102955.thumb.jpg.d1cd699900ec3ab434be6d975f0affff.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out the safest way to transfer some worms into the sandbed. I'm was thinking of using a tiny plastic spoon with the assistance of my baster, but I hope this won't injure them. 

The macro themselves have their own hitchikers, but I'd love to have a greater diversity of inverts, if possible. 

• Like 7
Snow_Phoenix

So I figured out a quick and safe way to transfer my worms. I have a small brine shrimp net that I keep in my bedroom in the fish cabinet under my 20G nanotank. The mesh is very, very fine and perfect for scooping up live BBS:

20190401_104522.thumb.jpg.5138c49b7edd41e51c6809009318c68f.jpg

So I used the net to gently scoop up the worm and a bit of LS from my nano into a plastic cup. You can see the tiny cherry red worm here: 

20190401_104933.thumb.jpg.d9b15b3e2a30e64d4fabaa8c8c784159.jpg

Since my pico is just across my nano and by the foot of my bed, I could quickly transfer the worm to my pico's sandbed. The worm immediately sunk into the sand and began extending its tentacles/feelers (?) to filter feed. 

20190401_105139.thumb.jpg.c9aa9d5a61419dd3351cc358e272bf33.jpg

I did this with two worms so far. I'll try transferring another 2 or 3 more later. Hopefully, in time, they'll reproduce and populate the sandbed naturally. 

• Like 6
Snow_Phoenix

I just realized I have several very, very tiny baby snails that have hitchiked on my fern caulerpa:

It's really hard to tell what sort of snails they are, but their shape reminds me of Nass. snails. :happy:

Can't wait to see what other little surprises this little tank springs on me. Looks like setting up this Pico was a good thing - I kinda missed the joy/thrill of setting up a new system. 

Also, if everything goes well, the first coral to be added into the tank will be a shroom this Friday/Saturday. 

• Like 6

Wow Snow, good move with tranferring the worms!  And fortuitous to have found the snails!  You are well on your way with the little cuc and macro algaes.

• Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
25 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Wow Snow, good move with tranferring the worms!  And fortuitous to have found the snails!  You are well on your way with the little cuc and macro algaes.

Thank you! I'm thinking of moving my pink legged hermit into the tank some time this week though. Do you think that's too fast? My 20G hit a bump - I've had some corals brown out and lost two pieces in the last three days. I'm just worried - my shroom collection appear to be okay except for one of my green hairy shrooms which is a bit shriveled because I pushed it under my rock-overhang. I was thinking of moving that to the Pico as my first official coral this week, in hopes that it will get better and heal up. 

I'm just a little bit worried I'm going too quick. Using cured LR might have given me a step up, but it still won't prevent any possible diatom blooms from happening or even NTS, for that matter. 

Snow_Phoenix

Miko finally (!) began eating in the QT today evening. He's still very skittish and prefers to hide rather than perch, but I hope that'll he'll feel more comfortable with the natural setting in the Pico when it's ready enough to hold him. 

• Like 5

I think coral and macro algaes will be ok in the pico.  They can deal with some ammonia.  I might wait on moving any inverts over however.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
3 hours ago, Wingy said:

That is a relief.  I always worry when critters I am responsible for aren't eating.

Me too. Fish are tricky for me. But once they start eating, it's a step up and a huge relief. 

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I think coral and macro algaes will be ok in the pico.  They can deal with some ammonia.  I might wait on moving any inverts over however.

So far there hasn't been any ammonia, which is a bit strange. I did ghost feed the tank with a few pellets though. 🤔

I'll keep working on transferring any worms from my major tank to this one. I saw some pods scuttling along the glass and in the macro, so I think that's a good sign. I'm also thinking of moving this tiny LR piece (which looks like a forked stick) into the tank today. It has some unique purple and gray sponges on it with a few scattered zoa polyps here and there. 

1 hour ago, 748S911 said:

Great progress.

Thank you. 😊

• Like 3

Nice progress!  And yay for another non-jank tank.  🙂

You definitely are WAY ahead of most of us in terms of stocking.  I'm gonna start stocking my tank at like month 6 at the rate I'm going.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix
11 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Nice progress!  And yay for another non-jank tank.  🙂

You definitely are WAY ahead of most of us in terms of stocking.  I'm gonna start stocking my tank at like month 6 at the rate I'm going.  

Well, I'm not racing or anything lol. It is just that my 20G is full of tiny frags and clumps of macro, some of which are not doing so well. So my pico would be ideal as a growout tank for any macro or small corals and can double up as a 'recovery/healing' tank of sorts. 

Right now I'm just enjoying the ride. 😊

I have decided to focus more on shrooms however, although there will be a bit of everything in it later. Shrooms are very easy to come by here, and most of them are affordable and suitable for a tiny budget reef. :happy:

Btw, I love your volcano. 👍

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mine were hitchikers. I still don't know what type of snails they are. 🤔

Hopefully not colonista snails! 

But I’m a little nervous/jelly that everyone already has their tank “wet/cycling”.. I better put my butt into overdrive 😂 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Well, I'm not racing or anything lol. It is just that my 20G is full of tiny frags and clumps of macro, some of which are not doing so well. So my pico would be ideal as a growout tank for any macro or small corals and can double up as a 'recovery/healing' tank of sorts. 

Right now I'm just enjoying the ride. 😊

I have decided to focus more on shrooms however, although there will be a bit of everything in it later. Shrooms are very easy to come by here, and most of them are affordable and suitable for a tiny budget reef. :happy:

Btw, I love your volcano. 👍

Solid plan!  Who doesn't like shrooms?

I've been nerding out over that volcano for too long.  Need to focus now on the real stuff!  LOL.

Snow_Phoenix
3 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Hopefully not colonista snails! 

But I’m a little nervous/jelly that everyone already has their tank “wet/cycling”.. I better put my butt into overdrive 😂 

Take your time. It's a contest, not a sprint to see who stocks their tank first lol. Plus, I'm just treating this like a mini project to learn. I have kept picos before but never one this small. So the challenge is on! 

Just now, Tigahboy said:

Solid plan!  Who doesn't like shrooms?

I've been nerding out over that volcano for too long.  Need to focus now on the real stuff!  LOL.

Shrooms are always overlooked in favor of sticks. But I love shrooms and they are much more forgiving (usually) and easier to keep. 😋

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Take your time. It's a contest, not a sprint to see who stocks their tank first lol. Plus, I'm just treating this like a mini project to learn. I have kept picos before but never one this small. So the challenge is on! 

😂 I have built my whole setup from scratch, including HOB filter. I would have to say this contest is quite “challenging”  not spending any money

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

😂 I have built my whole setup from scratch, including HOB filter. I would have to say this contest is quite “challenging”  not spending any money

That is actually really cool. I'm not too good with DIY stuff except making mesh/plastic lids for my tanks lol. 🤣

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
5 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That is actually really cool. I'm not too good with DIY stuff except making mesh/plastic lids for my tanks lol. 🤣

You have to share some your work!

Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You have to share some your work!

Noooo, it's terrible! It's just a piece of mesh cut out to fit the top of the tank - nothing fancy lol. 🤣

• Like 1