Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Montipora Fields of Bikini Bottom 🗿 Old School Mullet

seabass

That is quite the contrast, if they're growing well I guess the color might totally be perception on our end and just a little spectrum-tweak away from being perfect again. (Sounds like you're already on that lol). I figured the stars must have come from another tank of yours, just about nobody sells them despite the demand many familiar reefkeepers have for such incredible little animals.
Setosa, and monti's in general, are supposed to be resilient enough to fragging to just about tolerate the old plate-frag methods (think short falls onto concrete lol) so I'm kind of blown away to hear the survival rate was so low... Maybe it had something going on which had left it borderline beforehand?

Corals are so weird... I ended up with a forest fire in my tank, but I really wanted a mandarin/orange setosa, the brilliant orange polyps and the soft pinkish-orange base (best I can tell orange are pink polyp'd and orange based while mandarins are the opposite, or maybe it's all just individuals and lights because montipora? Only bothering to explain because what I've seen in person is the opposite of what most photos of the animals show and it felt... odd XD), plus the uniquely-large polyps and branch structure, make it such a cool coral to see in person (pictures don't do it justice, but nobody local had any).

If you ever feel like shipping a few extra brittles out, let me know haha =p

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

A few pics without the lights on.

On the left you can see the Setosa and Superman are encroaching on each other.  I'm not sure which one will win (although I'm rooting for the Setosa).  I think I'll frag off a large chunk of the Setosa when I do the next water change.

072619a.jpg  072619b.jpg

On the right, the Monti Cap is working its way towards the Purple Digitata.  However, it will take several weeks before there's a problem.

Encrusting from a couple of the Digitatas:

072619c.jpg  072619d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
On 7/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, seabass said:

A few pics without the lights on.

On the left you can see the Setosa and Superman are encroaching on each other.  I'm not sure which one will win (although I'm rooting for the Setosa).  I think I'll frag off a large chunk of the Setosa when I do the next water change.

072619a.jpg  072619b.jpg

On the right, the Monti Cap is working its way towards the Purple Digitata.  However, it will take several weeks before there's a problem.

Encrusting from a couple of the Digitatas:

072619c.jpg  072619d.jpg

Getting some good encrusting there!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Purple monti is starting to show a bit of color

I've turned up the lights a bit.  I'm still not happy with the light spectrum, but the browning was most likely due to insufficient lighting.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Love the setosa, awesome coral and nice addition

Setosa at the end of April:

043019e.jpg

End of June:

062719d.jpg

End of July (after fragging it):

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/2gals/073119c.jpg

We'll have to see which one eventually wins.  But wow, the Superman lost a lot of color.

Fragged Setosa (a bit larger than the original frag):

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/2gals/073119d.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good 🙂 good polyp extension regardless of color. 

There might be hyroids on your snail though? Not sure if that is a problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Is that hyroids on your snail though?

Hmm... I've been assuming it's just fuzzy with algae. :unsure:  Maybe I'll have to look at that more closely.

• Like 1

The setosa is growing well, very cool shape to it. 

Nice job on the snail. I always wanted to give a few of mine a peroxide brush down but wasn't sure it was safe. 

Now I know, so thank you!

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

I have a few snails who need regular cleaning with a toothbrush. I’ve never thought to use peroxide. Thanks for the idea. 

• Like 2

When using a peroxide solution, first get the snail to retract.  Don't dip the snail in peroxide, use a rag or toothbrush to cleanup the shell.  I like to hold my finger over the opening, so that the peroxide doesn't enter the shell.  Then I rinse it in saltwater (while still covering the opening).  I've done this before and the snails seem fine afterwards.  However, I only do this when I feel it's necessary (versus discarding the snail).  I imagine how it might feel to get peroxide in my eye, and try to treat the snail accordingly.

tumblr_o65vz7vYcY1u0f08eo2_250.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a nice ugly shot.

082119a.jpg

There's a stark contrast between the dry rock up front which is covered in cyano, and the two live rocks in back which are cyano free.

I did manually clean a lot of the cyano off today.  Hopefully it'll look a little better for the August FTS.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Do you dose phyto into the tank? Just curious. 

It's been very sporadic, but yes.  I usually dose enough to tint the water green.

5 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Damn cyano! 

It looks bad, but it doesn't bother me very much.  I know it's localized, and it isn't really affecting anything negatively.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

FTS: 08/31/19

083119a.jpg

I accidentally broke a couple of digitatas off while cleaning.  Seems like I do that a lot.  But it's not anything a little superglue can't fix.

• Like 9
On 8/31/2019 at 10:31 PM, seabass said:

FTS: 08/31/19

083119a.jpg

I accidentally broke a couple of digitatas off while cleaning.  Seems like I do that a lot.  But it's not anything a little superglue can't fix.

Looks great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Clown79.  The fragged Setosa is healing over nicely.

I had more plans for this tank (LED upgrades and regular dosing); however, things got busy and I haven't gotten to them yet.  Maybe this month; although the contest is approaching its last leg.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

Hey @seabass! We're nearly there, 7 months with a pineapple under the sea! 😄 

This is a friendly reminder to post your final competition FTS and a 1 to 2 paragraph recap of your experience in the pico reef competition. Be sure to share your future plans for your pico reef as well, will it continue forward or get an upgrade? The competition ends on Sunday October 27th at midnight!

Thank you for being a part of the Old School Pico Reef Competition! ❤️ 

• Thanks 1