SaltCritters.com

Montipora Fields of Bikini Bottom 🗿 Old School Mullet

seabass

I got goodies from Unique Corals today.

042519a.jpg

This was part of their anniversary live sale.

As part of the event, they included some coral glue with every order.

042519b.jpg  042519c.jpg

I removed the plugs and dipped the corals for 20 minutes in â…” cup of saltwater and 10 ml of Bayer.

042519d.jpg  Sterile.png

As you can see not all of these are montiporas, so not all are for this tank.
042519e.jpg

I'm still not yet sure which ones will end up in this pico, but the Superman Monti most likely will.

A few weeks ago, I received a previous order from Unique.

042519f.jpg  042519g.jpg

I'll stock the Montipora Fields with corals from these two orders.

• Like 14
  • Wow 3

Stupid diatoms are still blooming.  I thought I got past this stage in my bucket; but I think by moving everything, along with the new light, rejuvenated it.

042619a.jpg

I don't like keeping corals through this stage.  Looks like my 40 gallon tank will house the corals for awhile longer.  Although I still want an April FTS with the corals in place.  I guess we'll see if it works out that way.

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
44 minutes ago, seabass said:

Stupid diatoms are still blooming.  I thought I got past this stage in my bucket; but I think by moving everything, along with the new light, rejuvenated it.

I don't like keeping corals through this stage.  Looks like my 40 gallon tank will house the corals for awhile longer.  Although I still want an April FTS with the corals in place.  I guess we'll see if it works out that way.

At least it isn’t dinos 😂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Can we at least see some pics of your frags with polyp extension & colors?

Ya know just so we get an idea what you have going into your pico (;

• Haha 1
On 4/26/2019 at 2:11 AM, seabass said:

042619a.jpgI don't like keeping corals through this stage.  Looks like my 40 gallon tank will house the corals for awhile longer.  Although I still want an April FTS with the corals in place.  I guess we'll see if it works out that way.

Keep stirring that sand...burn up the silicates.

I’m just hoping I have an April FTS with water in the jank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FTS: 04/30/19

043019a.jpg

I broke up an orange Digitata ($39).

043019b.jpg

Also a purple Digitata ($34).

043019c.jpg

Here's the orange portion of a grafted orange and green Monti Cap ($59.00).  The mixed portion will go into another tank.

043019d.jpg

Part of an orange Setosa ($39.00).

043019e.jpg

I also broke up part of a Superman Montipora ($39.00).

043019g.jpg

• Like 14
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking good!

Is that the rock you got from the LFS that had all the vermitid snails or some from your other tanks? Either way, it’s nice and even has coralline! 

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Is that the rock you got from the LFS that had all the vermitid snails

Yep, been scraping them off with a dental scaler for a month.  Also removed about a dozen asterina stars, and three unidentified limpets.  This is the only true live rock I have.  Everything thing else in other tanks started off dry.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate it.

Here's my heating solution (with the heater cord and probe exiting the intake tube opening).

050119a.jpg

Both the heater and probe sit behind the filter cartridge.

050119b.jpg

I thought about cutting an opening in the top for the cords, but routing it out the intake opening worked just as well.

• Like 8

I don't hate my light fixture; but compared to my T5 fixtures, I'm not really in love with the spectrum either.  So I've been looking into switching some of the diodes (basing it loosely on a SB Reef Lights layout).  I'd like to remove most the warm whites and red diodes, as well as adding 420nm and more cold white diodes.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I purchased five 20,000K, five 12,000K, and five 410-420nm beads.  I'm shooting for less red and more white (with the white leaning more towards blue).  However, I'm not 100% sure how I'll use them yet.

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

A thank you to @jedimasterben for his suggestions about my black box mods.  He suggested that I replace the original red and green LEDs and see what that looks like.  Also, that red, amber, and green spectrums are important, but are better provided by warm whites, than dedicated red and green diodes.

He said the manufacturer probably used more 460nm than 450nm LEDs to save money (although 450nm is preferred).  However, I can't tell the difference by looking at them, maybe they are all the same.  He suggested more 450nm and maybe a few 470nm (ice blue).  So I guess I'll keeping the current white LEDs and replace the red and greens.

• Like 4

I'm still not sure enough of my electrical engineering skills to attempt something like this yet...lol.

Or maybe I just need to buy a soldering iron 🤣

I like the proposed changes. Hopefully you achieve the desired spectrum with the new LEDs!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a bit of build up on the glass.  So I did a complete water change and cleaned the sand and glass walls.

050819a.jpg

Here's a natural daylight FTS after the cleanup.

050819b.jpg

• Like 12