Cultivated Reef

Steve's "Old School Pico Reef" done cheap and sexy :D

stevejo

Hmm, having some temp issues - I have the heater unplugged, the light turned off, and we're still sitting at 79.2 - this tanks neighbor (probably 9 inches away) is an IM Nuvo 10 sitting at 76.8.  I'm imagining it's a combination of no evaporation with the lid and the heat transferred in by the questionable cheapy pump, but gonna monitor it today and see where it ends up as the day progresses.

IMG_20190401_092722.thumb.jpg.7850246ad78cd783713ef606a5e79978.jpgIMG_20190401_092727.thumb.jpg.a392024080597dc47f7c0228a416e3ef.jpg

I had no idea that these tanks had a lid sold separately.  I've wanted to set up a smaller tank for my office, but I can't justify buying an ATO for it. Can't wait to follow along. 

• Like 2
campbell_wat

A little late, but I have broken many petco 2.5g tanks going really dumb stuff that should not break a tank. So much as putting it down on an unlevel surface with a heater and filter inside. I have had amazing luck with tetra brand (the glass is a little thicker and the silicone is actually really good)... just my .02

I suspect with that light, and the lid almost COMPLETELY sealed, it may require some sort of...hmm... daily ice pack? lol

I know I am going to crank up the AC for mine, since my lid seals in a lot of heat as well. Is that an option? Keeping that room as a wine cellar or something...lol

7 hours ago, MetaTank said:

I suspect with that light, and the lid almost COMPLETELY sealed, it may require some sort of...hmm... daily ice pack? lol

I know I am going to crank up the AC for mine, since my lid seals in a lot of heat as well. Is that an option? Keeping that room as a wine cellar or something...lol

I've had the light completely off of it for 24 hours now, and it still sits at a consistent 80-81 😞  At this point, I have to blame the pump.

Gonna take the lid off today and see how much I lose to evap in 24hrs, and also see how that affects temps.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, stevejo said:

I've had the light completely off of it for 24 hours now, and it still sits at a consistent 80-81 😞  At this point, I have to blame the pump.

Gonna take the lid off today and see how much I lose to evap in 24hrs, and also see how that affects temps.

You can drill holes into your lid might look “janky” but hey whatever works right?

28 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You can drill holes into your lid might look “janky” but hey whatever works right?

It's a glass lid 😞  I feel that between my skill drilling glass and the thinness/cheapness of that particular piece of glass, that would be an idea doomed to failure.  Gonna go to the hardware store and see if I can get a piece of plexi cut today, and can just drill holes in that as needed, assuming the evaporation is more than I want to tolerate.

First time testing the tank, 48 hours from setup and 36 hours from cycle start.  Evidently, the overdose of TurboStart is doing its thing...  likely helped along by the higher tank temps the last 24 hours.

IMG_20190402_094224.thumb.jpg.985af96b44c5de36a1300fec321bc2bb.jpg

MVIMG_20190402_093912.thumb.jpg.c2cfa1854fdeab9792c4113daa23c626.jpgMVIMG_20190402_094145.thumb.jpg.b5c8fd67889fa0c0d837a23c2cccac44.jpg

• Like 2
23 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I had no idea that these tanks had a lid sold separately.  I've wanted to set up a smaller tank for my office, but I can't justify buying an ATO for it. Can't wait to follow along. 

The lid, combined with the cheap pump, appears to be causing heat issues.  I've had the heater unplugged and the lid off now, and just the pump is holding it at a steady 77 degrees. 😮

• Wow 1
7 minutes ago, stevejo said:

The lid, combined with the cheap pump, appears to be causing heat issues.  I've had the heater unplugged and the lid off now, and just the pump is holding it at a steady 77 degrees. 😮

Well, identifying the issue should help a lot! I guess thats the benefit of many HOB filters with external pumps for small tanks like these. Dang, I hope you can get a better pump or something I love the low profile look of this tank!

Just now, MetaTank said:

Well, identifying the issue should help a lot! I guess thats the benefit of many HOB filters with external pumps for small tanks like these. Dang, I hope you can get a better pump or something I love the low profile look of this tank!

Worst case scenario I'll just run it lidless and see how bad the evap is, and how much it contributes to salinity swings.  If it's survivable topping off once per day, I do that on the neighboring 10G Nuvo already anyway so it's not a huge deal.  Gonna measure salinity tomorrow morning as well as see how much has evaporated, and then go from there.  I really dig the profile of the pump and not having a HOB attached, so hopefully, all is well in both of those categories.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stevejo said:

Worst case scenario I'll just run it lidless and see how bad the evap is, and how much it contributes to salinity swings.  If it's survivable topping off once per day, I do that on the neighboring 10G Nuvo already anyway so it's not a huge deal.  Gonna measure salinity tomorrow morning as well as see how much has evaporated, and then go from there.  I really dig the profile of the pump and not having a HOB attached, so hopefully, all is well in both of those categories.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, stevejo said:

And whats the wattage on that pump??? Sorry for the double post, my bad! @stevejo

3 minutes ago, stevejo said:

It's a 4W 80GPH

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWENMAU

BUT, it fits nearly perfect in the corner, and I for the life of me cannot locate a similar small powerhead that would do the same job.

Here's one thats only 2.5w, but it's also only 47gph. Dunno how you feel about reducing flow, but it may help. If not, I'll buy it off you for cost, plus shipping...lol 😁@stevejo

Oops, almost forgot the link...lol

https://www.amazon.com/Senzeal-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-SM-018/dp/B07DVL7F6P/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2.5w+pump&qid=1554234896&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3

1 minute ago, MetaTank said:

Here's one thats only 2.5w, but it's also only 47gph. Dunno how you feel about reducing flow, but it may help. If not, I'll buy it off you for cost, plus shipping...lol

Missing a link, but I would assume you mean something like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Senzeal-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-SM-018/dp/B07DVL7F6P

The GPH ratings are generous, TBH - this little guy I think just achieves enough flow.  That said, something smaller will likely be my backup plan, and I have no idea how it will go with livestock in the tank.  For now, it barely moves any sand, and just has enough juice to clean sand off the top of the rockwork.  Maybe when I get the shrimps in there it will launch them around and I will have to reduce flow anyway, which will let me move to the smaller pump.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, stevejo said:

Missing a link, but I would assume you mean something like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Senzeal-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-SM-018/dp/B07DVL7F6P

The GPH ratings are generous, TBH - this little guy I think just achieves enough flow.  That said, something smaller will likely be my backup plan, and I have no idea how it will go with livestock in the tank.  For now, it barely moves any sand, and just has enough juice to clean sand off the top of the rockwork.  Maybe when I get the shrimps in there it will launch them around and I will have to reduce flow anyway, which will let me move to the smaller pump.

Now I have this image in my head of the shrimps lining up to take "powerhead rides" on the flow...lol

13 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Now I have this image in my head of the shrimps lining up to take "powerhead rides" on the flow...lol

Like a little sexy shrimp waterpark!  Haha!

Image result for shrimp waterslide

• Haha 4

So initial measurements (and indeed the mix goal for most of my saltwater) was at 34.5PPT, or 1.0260.  This morning, I'd lost about 6 ounces to evaporation in 24 hours and was reading 36.6PPT, or 1.0276.  I'm going to do some research and see if either or both a higher salinity or a higher temperature would truly affect RFAs, sexies, or softies/LPS.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, stevejo said:

So initial measurements (and indeed the mix goal for most of my saltwater) was at 34.5PPT, or 1.0260.  This morning, I'd lost about 6 ounces to evaporation in 24 hours and was reading 36.6PPT, or 1.0276.  I'm going to do some research and see if either or both a higher salinity or a higher temperature would truly affect RFAs, sexies, or softies/LPS.

This is why i think im goimg to run 1.024 to allow for small swings

• Like 1
Just now, stevejo said:

Nitrates are coming up, rest holding fairly stable.  Crossing my fingers for a week or less cycle 🙂

IMG_20190403_145303.thumb.jpg.3bc4fa3cb8230fcffe48a0863a915716.jpg

Fingers crossed!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Steve's "Old School Pico Reef" done cheap and sexy :D