Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's Contest Pico - The End of Bad Crab

kimberbee

Yes, see the doc asap & hopefully it's something simple. Those feet are nothing to play around with b/c when they're messed up it jacks with your knees & back.

Hope you have a speedy recovery & plez take care of yourself!

• Like 2

Xrays showed my foot isn't broken, but I have to get an mri in order to see of it's a stress fracture (which it likely is). In the mean time, I have one of those giant boots. It makes getting anything done around the house difficult, especially carrying the little one up and down the stairs for diaper changes and naps. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
This guy is extra salty
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Xrays showed my foot isn't broken, but I have to get an mri in order to see of it's a stress fracture (which it likely is). In the mean time, I have one of those giant boots. It makes getting anything done around the house difficult, especially carrying the little one up and down the stairs for diaper changes and naps. 

That sucks! Baby pack pack?

• Haha 1
kimberbee

I officially started the cycle on April 9th, using some old filter floss from one of my other tanks (yuck) and some bacteria from Elos:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
kimberbee

I took a break-ish from posting or working on my tanks these past few weeks. Two weeks ago the pain in my foot that started at the end of March really started bothering me. It's likely a stress fracture, so I am wearing a boot, but I do not have the MRI to confirm for a few more days. Last week, I was sick with a random cold. My husband got it first, at the same time his seasonal allergies showed up, so it wasn't until I started showing symptoms that we realized the house was infected. Of course, the day after I started to feel sick, the little one was a buggery mess too. It's been a rough week being sick, but still having to take care of a baby - you don't get a day off from being a mom! 

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm able to update a few things on the tank: 

First - My husband build me a little equipment box to help hide the HOB and other cables. It still needs to be sanded, stained, and poly-ed. 

Second - I finally put the heater in. I am not happy with how it looks, but that's because I'm not a fan of suction cups, so I DIY-ed an egg-crate holder. I think it looks pretty awful... 

229330071_20190501_1504391.thumb.jpg.7ecdabd7dcf5c9ff07105db25bd21e13.jpg

1713308341_20190501_1504592.thumb.jpg.7140e40107114a560763bead872ebd0e.jpg

• Like 9

I really like the rock.  It fills the space well.  And the equipment box is nice.  I agree, the heater stands out.  Any chance of getting a heater that fits in the filter?

• Like 2
kimberbee
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I really like the rock.  It fills the space well.  And the equipment box is nice.  I agree, the heater stands out.  Any chance of getting a heater that fits in the filter?

I wanted to save by not buying another heater. While this heater technically does fit, the cord means I can't use the AC lid. I wanted to keep that to help with evap and any splashing. I also wasn't sure about the heater touching the eggcrate and filter floss I have in there. Though, if the heater only gets to 80 degrees it shouldn't be a problem, right?

The heater will get substantially hotter than 80 degrees.  Not sure that poses any problem though.

I use this tiny little heater with a temperature controller:

https://www.amazon.com/Bettastik-Submersible-Betta-Heater-7-5watt/dp/B006QOFST2/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=bettastik+heater&qid=1556756302&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

At 7.5W, it couldn't melt anything.  I just stuff in in back of the filter cartridge:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404831-montipora-fields-of-bikini-bottom-🗿-old-school-mullet/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-5814687

• Like 4

Looking good!

If you're keeping your background white then that equipment box would even look fantastic painted white imo.

Hope everyone in your home is feeling better now!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, seabass said:

The heater will get substantially hotter than 80 degrees.  Not sure that poses any problem though.

I use this tiny little heater with a temperature controller:

https://www.amazon.com/Bettastik-Submersible-Betta-Heater-7-5watt/dp/B006QOFST2/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=bettastik+heater&qid=1556756302&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

At 7.5W, it couldn't melt anything.  I just stuff in in back of the filter cartridge:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404831-montipora-fields-of-bikini-bottom-🗿-old-school-mullet/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-5814687

I am running this in a AC 30 and works great............nothing in the display to look at............

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PSPCNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3
kimberbee
12 hours ago, yoshii said:

Could you cut a hole in the AC lid to make space for the heater?

Hope you're feeling a bit better!

I *could* but I don't generally like to modify things in a way that can't be unmodified. 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I *could* but I don't generally like to modify things in a way that can't be unmodified. 

I totally felt the same way, so I ordered a spare lid on eBay and cut that one up...lol

Of course, now I can’t find the original lid... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Month One Update Vid:

Yes, it took me a week to get this edited and uploaded. Let's just say I've been in a "mood" about my foot. I joke that I'm cold blooded and photosynthetic. I need the sun. I haven't left the house much in the past two weeks trying to relax and heal. Great for my foot, awful for my mood. 

• Like 13
9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Month One Update Vid:

Yes, it took me a week to get this edited and uploaded. Let's just say I've been in a "mood" about my foot. I joke that I'm cold blooded and photosynthetic. I need the sun. I haven't left the house much in the past two weeks trying to relax and heal. Great for my foot, awful for my mood. 

Its ok kimber, I hate testing also. 😆

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
On 5/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, kimberbee said:

Month One Update Vid:

I demand Barbie or Elsa to be in any new video updates 🤗

• Haha 4
This guy is extra salty
On 5/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, kimberbee said:

I took a break-ish from posting or working on my tanks these past few weeks. Two weeks ago the pain in my foot that started at the end of March really started bothering me. It's likely a stress fracture, so I am wearing a boot, but I do not have the MRI to confirm for a few more days. Last week, I was sick with a random cold. My husband got it first, at the same time his seasonal allergies showed up, so it wasn't until I started showing symptoms that we realized the house was infected. Of course, the day after I started to feel sick, the little one was a buggery mess too. It's been a rough week being sick, but still having to take care of a baby - you don't get a day off from being a mom! 

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm able to update a few things on the tank: 

First - My husband build me a little equipment box to help hide the HOB and other cables. It still needs to be sanded, stained, and poly-ed. 

Second - I finally put the heater in. I am not happy with how it looks, but that's because I'm not a fan of suction cups, so I DIY-ed an egg-crate holder. I think it looks pretty awful... 

229330071_20190501_1504391.thumb.jpg.7ecdabd7dcf5c9ff07105db25bd21e13.jpg

1713308341_20190501_1504592.thumb.jpg.7140e40107114a560763bead872ebd0e.jpg

At least you have a holder for your heater! mine is just sitting in the sand 😂 

i like the white background of your tank, matches the side box 

Im doing something similar with mine I’m figuring out where to hide the cables

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Sancho said:

I demand Barbie or Elsa to be in any new video updates 🤗

I really was going to, but then I got lazy. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Lingwendil

If you can scrounge ~$11, grab one of these, very compact, mine fits in my Azoo filter (much smaller than an Aquaclear!!!) quite nicely-

https://www.amazon.com/Marina-C10-Compact-Heater-10-Watt/dp/B003TLWWOO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=29SRB1JK47EEQ&keywords=marina+c10+submersible&qid=1558020836&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=marina+c%2Cpets%2C184&sr=1-1

IMG_20190331_094546.thumb.jpg.771c9a904fe11e57e51b62e868d63759.jpg 

I was even able to bring the cord out from under the lid without cutting anything-

large.IMG_20190402_182009.jpg.4303e7ada38bce5707cd9978c33cc7b4.jpglarge.IMG_20190331_094915.jpg.88abca6c266724e96f5887e4eab1aac9.jpg

• Like 1