ReefCleaners.org

Kimber's Contest Pico - The End of Bad Crab

kimberbee

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

OMG... I'm usually on mobile so I didn't see your signature until just now... :lol:

If you turn your phone to landscape it shows the signatures 

I had a curlique nem and red snapping shrimp pair once.  They are cool but the shrimp stays hidden in its den most of the time.  I like the idea of the maxi mini anemone and sexy shrimp best though.  You can get some nice color and texture with the nems and sexy shrimp are entertaining!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mantis. Mantis. Mantis! :flower:

(You know you wanna) :wink:

This was what I was thinking to...…….but its so small I feel bad about it. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, spectra said:

This was what I was thinking to...…….but its so small I feel bad about it. 

I believe there are a few species that stay relatively small... if it can't stay in the pico, I do have a spare 10 gallon.

• Like 1

Mantis. Mantis. Mantis! :flower:

(You know you wanna) :wink:

I was thinking about one I saw the other day. Might happen if it's still there when the tanks are wet.

@kimberbee

I think those all sound like wonderful stocking ideas

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I believe there are a few species that stay relatively small... if it can't stay in the pico, I do have a spare 10 gallon.

Yes  just for me hard to find them...........not a lot of rock being brought in anymore like there used to be.

Years ago had a small green one that lived in a 5 gallon and it came in on some rock to the LFS.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, kimberbee said:

Well, mantis shrimp might me out. The resource I was going to use for identifying a small species (https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/) doesn't seem to work anymore. 

ugh that sucks... 😞 I loved that website.

If you post a pic of what you find, especially of the meral spots, I can ID a fair amount of them that we see in the US except maybe the super rare ones. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you post a pic of what you find, especially of the meral spots, I can ID a fair amount of them that we see in the US except maybe the super rare ones. 

I may take you up on that if possible 

• Wow 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I've been talking with @Snow_Phoenix, and a mantis is back in the realm of possibilities!

3 hours ago, MetaTank said:

I may take you up on that if possible 

Nooooo, don't take muh idea!!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I've been talking with @Snow_Phoenix, and a mantis is back in the realm of possibilities!

Nooooo, don't take muh idea!!

Oh I won’t, if you and I both get one, I won’t put mine in the contest tank, how ‘bout that? 😁

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I feel left out... 

20190330_210709.thumb.jpg.cd8faf0ba38b85b714901771761d9ded.jpg

This-Is-Where-Id-Put-My-Trophy-If-I-Had-One.jpg.03405a3946194f76e5df7024036f9ac0.jpg

Hopefully Monday... 

Fingers crossed for you. But don’t feel left out - I still haven’t posted anything yet! 

Still getting my ducks...er..coral in a row...

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

I can access Roy's website. (Just checked).

If you need some help looking up a mantis species, just lmk and I'll screenshot the page for you and post it here/DM you (whichever you prefer). 🙂 

Edit: Just checked even deeper and most of the pages and links are toast. Sorry. 😞

If I find another good mantis ID site, I'll let you know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
MainelyReefer
On 3/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, kimberbee said:

1. A curlique anemone and red snapping shrimp

A Curlique anemone rode in on my KP Aquatics liverock as a hitchhiker.  It grows to fill 1/4 of my IM10 when I feed it.  I’ve had it in the free section on my local forum for months with no takers.  If you go this route I would seriously pay to ship this thing to you.  At this point I just feel bad for it and keep it alive as it’s my responsibility until I pawn it off.  I’m not sure you want one of these!  It will fill that tank and kill every coral it pleases to.  It is absurdly hardy and easy to keep though, this picture is from it’s  biggest when I fed it heavily for fun.  5A75EB13-4D9D-4B5D-8E9F-B44090397163.jpeg.a9652ff775e0945b7a6e72e06c49f1f8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

I can access Roy's website. (Just checked).

If you need some help looking up a mantis species, just lmk and I'll screenshot the page for you and post it here/DM you (whichever you prefer). 🙂 

Edit: Just checked even deeper and most of the pages and links are toast. Sorry. 😞

If I find another good mantis ID site, I'll let you know.

Put the link in the Wayback machine.  It can often pull them out.  https://archive.org/web/

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

A Curlique anemone rode in on my KP Aquatics liverock as a hitchhiker.  It grows to fill 1/4 of my IM10 when I feed it.  I’ve had it in the free section on my local forum for months with no takers.  If you go this route I would seriously pay to ship this thing to you.  At this point I just feel bad for it and keep it alive as it’s my responsibility until I pawn it off.  I’m not sure you want one of these!  It will fill that tank and kill every coral it pleases to.  It is absurdly hardy and easy to keep though, this picture is from it’s  biggest when I fed it heavily for fun.  5A75EB13-4D9D-4B5D-8E9F-B44090397163.jpeg.a9652ff775e0945b7a6e72e06c49f1f8.jpeg

Orly?? 🤔

Has it killed corals in your tank? I was hoping to add macros, mushrooms and a couple tiny toadstool frags. If you talk about it in a thread, can you link me? The little one is in my lap, so I'm having a hard time searching!

MainelyReefer
52 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Orly?? 🤔

Has it killed corals in your tank? I was hoping to add macros, mushrooms and a couple tiny toadstool frags. If you talk about it in a thread, can you link me? The little one is in my lap, so I'm having a hard time searching!

Yea, frogspawn, hammer, monti, Acan, mushrooms it even kills GSP and Xenia this thing is boss of the Mantis  tank, unfortunately I don’t have a very good thread detailing it’s life but I keep it in a breeder box now to keep it contained.  Not reef safe  IMO.  I just researched the red snapping shrimp relationship that is really neat.

• Like 1