Jump to content
kimberbee

Kimber's Contest Pico - Salinity issues

Recommended Posts

kimberbee
11 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Best drawing ever!

why don’t you have an ATO?

Because they are generally expensive (compared to the cost of other 'nano' items), I've tried the DIY route and failed, and I'm only topping off 1/4 cup manually every 24 hours. I think I'd still have some salinity swings with the current lid because it's not just evaporation, it's the splashing too. 

 

I had tried taking the lid off at the beginning  of the contest, but my cat went right for the water. 😑

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
On 9/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, kimberbee said:

Because they are generally expensive (compared to the cost of other 'nano' items), I've tried the DIY route and failed, and I'm only topping off 1/4 cup manually every 24 hours. I think I'd still have some salinity swings with the current lid because it's not just evaporation, it's the splashing too. 

 

I had tried taking the lid off at the beginning  of the contest, but my cat went right for the water. 😑

I saw a water bottle attachment that rests on the rim of the tank that’s a gravity fed ATO. Have you thought about that?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
kimberbee
22 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I saw a water bottle attachment that rests on the rim of the tank that’s a gravity fed ATO. Have you thought about that?

That probably would have worked great and helped keep salinity a bit more stable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

Salinity issues...

 

Heater issues...

 

And the latest - light issues...

 

The Duo over my 25 gallon went out sometime Friday. So I had to take the Tide from my 20 gallon so the tank wouldn't be without a light. That means the par bulb over the pico had to be taken to use over my 20 gallon. I'm waiting to hear from Dave about my Duo, but it looks like I will have to fork out some money for it's repairs. 

 

Had to take this little guy down. I don't have the spare cash to repair a light, buy a new heater, AND stock the pico by the end of October. 

 

Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Salinity issues...

 

Heater issues...

 

And the latest - light issues...

 

The Duo over my 25 gallon went out sometime Friday. So I had to take the Tide from my 20 gallon so the tank wouldn't be without a light. That means the par bulb over the pico had to be taken to use over my 20 gallon. I'm waiting to hear from Dave about my Duo, but it looks like I will have to fork out some money for it's repairs. 

 

Had to take this little guy down. I don't have the spare cash to repair a light, buy a new heater, AND stock the pico by the end of October. 

 

Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

That sucks and so close to the end of the contest. Any of your larger tanks got any light spill?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That sucks and so close to the end of the contest. Any of your larger tanks got any light spill?

Maybe a little, but no room to put the little tank next to 'em.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

Sorry to hear  :[   but I am glad that you can put some stress behind you - wishing the best of luck with the rest of things!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Salinity issues...

 

Heater issues...

 

And the latest - light issues...

 

The Duo over my 25 gallon went out sometime Friday. So I had to take the Tide from my 20 gallon so the tank wouldn't be without a light. That means the par bulb over the pico had to be taken to use over my 20 gallon. I'm waiting to hear from Dave about my Duo, but it looks like I will have to fork out some money for it's repairs. 

 

Had to take this little guy down. I don't have the spare cash to repair a light, buy a new heater, AND stock the pico by the end of October. 

 

Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

Nooooo! Put the 2.5g inside big tank... light/salinity/ heater issues solved

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
William
6 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Nooooo! Put the 2.5g inside big tank... light/salinity/ heater issues solved

Is there a rule against this ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
8 minutes ago, William said:

Is there a rule against this ?

Technically?  Maybe not; but obviously that wouldn't be allowed.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan

Shame you're on the wrong side of the pond. Would happily send you a few spares

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wingy

Hopefully we can brainstorm an idea that will allow you to continue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kimdawg

Sorry to see that you have to take the little tank down, but at least you have your other tanks.  Hope you can get all of the equipment problems fixed soon.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
27 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Sorry to see that you have to take the little tank down, but at least you have your other tanks.  Hope you can get all of the equipment problems fixed soon.

The good news is that my other light can be fixed, I just need to order a replacement part and I can install it myself. Unfortunately it's pretty pricey - basically my reefing budget for the next two months. 

 

A reminder that backups and/or an emergency reef fund is a good idea to have. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...