Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's Contest Pico - The End of Bad Crab

kimberbee

11 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Best drawing ever!

why don’t you have an ATO?

Because they are generally expensive (compared to the cost of other 'nano' items), I've tried the DIY route and failed, and I'm only topping off 1/4 cup manually every 24 hours. I think I'd still have some salinity swings with the current lid because it's not just evaporation, it's the splashing too. 

I had tried taking the lid off at the beginning  of the contest, but my cat went right for the water. 😑

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
On 9/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, kimberbee said:

Because they are generally expensive (compared to the cost of other 'nano' items), I've tried the DIY route and failed, and I'm only topping off 1/4 cup manually every 24 hours. I think I'd still have some salinity swings with the current lid because it's not just evaporation, it's the splashing too. 

I had tried taking the lid off at the beginning  of the contest, but my cat went right for the water. 😑

I saw a water bottle attachment that rests on the rim of the tank that’s a gravity fed ATO. Have you thought about that?

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
22 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I saw a water bottle attachment that rests on the rim of the tank that’s a gravity fed ATO. Have you thought about that?

That probably would have worked great and helped keep salinity a bit more stable. 

• Like 1

Salinity issues...

Heater issues...

And the latest - light issues...

The Duo over my 25 gallon went out sometime Friday. So I had to take the Tide from my 20 gallon so the tank wouldn't be without a light. That means the par bulb over the pico had to be taken to use over my 20 gallon. I'm waiting to hear from Dave about my Duo, but it looks like I will have to fork out some money for it's repairs. 

Had to take this little guy down. I don't have the spare cash to repair a light, buy a new heater, AND stock the pico by the end of October. 

Good luck to everyone still in the running!!

• Sad 9
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Salinity issues...

Heater issues...

The Duo over my 25 gallon went out sometime Friday. So I had to take the Tide from my 20 gallon so the tank wouldn't be without a light. That means the par bulb over the pico had to be taken to use over my 20 gallon. I'm waiting to hear from Dave about my Duo, but it looks like I will have to fork out some money for it's repairs. 

Had to take this little guy down. I don't have the spare cash to repair a light, buy a new heater, AND stock the pico by the end of October. 

That sucks and so close to the end of the contest. Any of your larger tanks got any light spill?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That sucks and so close to the end of the contest. Any of your larger tanks got any light spill?

Maybe a little, but no room to put the little tank next to 'em.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Salinity issues...

Heater issues...

Nooooo! Put the 2.5g inside big tank... light/salinity/ heater issues solved

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
27 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Sorry to see that you have to take the little tank down, but at least you have your other tanks.  Hope you can get all of the equipment problems fixed soon.

The good news is that my other light can be fixed, I just need to order a replacement part and I can install it myself. Unfortunately it's pretty pricey - basically my reefing budget for the next two months. 

A reminder that backups and/or an emergency reef fund is a good idea to have. 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

The video kind of made me sad.

I wonder how many are actually left.

I do feel bad for dropping out of the contest early, but having to get my Nanobox fixed really put a dent into any funds I have left for purchasing any corals. 

If I end up catching that rouge crab though, I will probably set it back up because I'm a softy like that... 

• Like 5

It is sad to see them go.😰  The only thing I wish, is that I had gone with a tank that was two inches longer and wider.  It would have been within the guidelines of the contest and would fit my fat hands better.  I still love my bare bottom janky tanky.  I bet you put it up again in the future.  I don't think any of us have the ability to keep an empty tank for very long.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

It is sad to see them go.😰  The only thing I wish, is that I had gone with a tank that was two inches longer and wider.  It would have been within the guidelines of the contest and would fit my fat hands better.  I still love my bare bottom janky tanky.  I bet you put it up again in the future.  I don't think any of us have the ability to keep an empty tank for very long.😁

I have 5 tanks in storage right now. A little extra cash and I'm sure one will get pulled out!

• Like 5
6 hours ago, yoshii said:

Oh no! So sorry to hear you have to take it down 😞 But hopefully you can at least get the light fixed

Luckily the light fix should be easy, just a little pricey. And luckily both of my other tanks are doing ok with the temporary/underpowered lights!

• Like 2

I set up the tank again... 🤦‍♀️

I found a bad crab in my lagoon tank, and though I wanted it OUT, I couldn't bring myself to kill it. 

It took me a week, but it's finally out of my tank and into the pico. I know I already bowed out of the competition, but wanted to let you guys know the tank lives on!

20190930_150651.thumb.jpg.8d37fea3beee550158a73e5f67c13252.jpg

20190930_152938.thumb.jpg.f1bd4a6c9deb023b722bdc68149b7baa.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2