Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's Contest Pico - The End of Bad Crab

kimberbee

I tried to catch my illegal immigrant last night... he didn’t appreciate and the little bugger is FAST. And seems pretty smart for a crab. Will have to examine your traps closer.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Took my Pom Pom back as soon as I saw it using Aiptasia 

I've heard they'll improvise sometimes and grab whatever.

1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I tried to catch my illegal immigrant last night... he didn’t appreciate and the little bugger is FAST. And seems pretty smart for a crab. Will have to examine your traps closer.

Ohh, what kinda crab did you find??

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah seeing one waving a Pair of Aiptasia in your tank isn't as funny at the time as looking back now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It’s a rock crab, probably gulf in origin.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ahh interesting. Do you think it's a murdering crab?

Not so far he’s been well fed by the broadcast feeding I do. But he has munched on a couple dead fish which worries me that he’ll get a taste for it. He’s not quite big enough (I don’t think) to snag a fish by himself yet. I got figure out how to catch him and get him to the sump. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Not so far he’s been well fed by the broadcast feeding I do. But he has munched on a couple dead fish which worries me that he’ll get a taste for it. He’s not quite big enough (I don’t think) to snag a fish by himself yet. I got figure out how to catch him and get him to the sump. 

At least he did his job of making the bodies disappear :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Bad Crab has been spotted deep within the rock, still alive, I am assuming. 🤷‍♀️

He's a very unrewarding pet to care for... 🙄

My bad crab is still very active and out and about. I've been feeding him well to keep him from snagging anybody he shouldn't.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
30 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Bad Crab has been spotted deep within the rock, still alive, I am assuming. 🤷‍♀️

Ok Kimber I did the test. So I used rodi water and zeroed out the refractometer to 1.000... I added the 1.026 fluid and the refractometer read almost 1.030. it was a huge difference. If call that a no bueno for calibrating with rodi.

Here is what I use for fluid...its a little hard to read because it's a little faded.

Hope this helps you some.

IMG_20191120_224944.jpg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

banish it to the terlet tank 😂 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
8 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ok Kimber I did the test. So I used rodi water and zeroed out the refractometer to 1.000... I added the 1.026 fluid and the refractometer read almost 1.030. it was a huge difference. If call that a no bueno for calibrating with rodi.

Here is what I use for fluid...its a little hard to read because it's a little faded.

Hope this helps you some.

IMG_20191120_224944.jpg

Did you recalibrate with fluid and then retest the ro/di?

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
57 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Did you recalibrate with fluid and then retest the ro/di?

yeah so when it's calibrated to 1.026 if you add rodi it comes up well short of 1.000... I don't know what the reading is because the hashes are only at 1.000, so If I had to guess it would be .996-.997 something around that.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

yeah so when it's calibrated to 1.026 if you add rodi it comes up well short of 1.000... I don't know what the reading is because the hashes are only at 1.000, so If I had to guess it would be .996-.997 something around that.

Thanks! That's very helpful. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Thanks! That's very helpful. 

You're welcome :smilie:. It was interesting because I never thought to try it. So it does make a difference calibrating with 1.026 solution. Were you able to find it on amazon.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

You're welcome :smilie:. It was interesting because I never thought to try it. So it does make a difference calibrating with 1.026 solution. Were you able to find it on amazon.

Whoops, somehow didn't see this till just now!

Yep, I'll order some soon!

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Whoops, somehow didn't see this till just now!

Yep, I'll order some soon!

It's all good, glad you were able to find it 🙂

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

January 2020 Update:

Welcome to the Bad Crab Pico Prison, the official thread of the Bad Crab. He was evicted from my 25 gallon lagoon and was moved to solitary confinement a few months ago. Don't feel bad for this felon though, his prison is more like a castle - he has the whole 2.6 gallon aquarium to himself. Well, there are a couple of snails, and a sh!tton of amphipods, but he's got a great rock with tons of hidey holes to play hide n seek in. 

Admittedly, I haven't been the best "warden" the last few months, and I let the hair algae take over. But this afternoon I did a complete clean out - scrubbed the heater and HOB filter (inside and out), and took a toothbrush to the rocks to loosen up what I could. It looks much better!

(Before and after, so make sure to swipe)

It also looks a bit emptier as I had to prune the macroalgae waaay back. It was being choked out a bit by hair algae. I may throw a couple of blue mushrooms in from the lagoon, they multiply like crazy and a few are just floating around the tank!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
28 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

January 2020 Update:

Welcome to the Bad Crab Pico Prison, the official thread of the Bad Crab. He was evicted from my 25 gallon lagoon and was moved to solitary confinement a few months ago. Don't feel bad for this felon though, his prison is more like a castle - he has the whole 2.6 gallon aquarium to himself. Well, there are a couple of snails, and a sh!tton of amphipods, but he's got a great rock with tons of hidey holes to play hide n seek in. 

Admittedly, I haven't been the best "warden" the last few months, and I let the hair algae take over. But this afternoon I did a complete clean out - scrubbed the heater and HOB filter (inside and out), and took a toothbrush to the rocks to loosen up what I could. It looks much better!

(Before and after, so make sure to swipe)

It also looks a bit emptier as I had to prune the macroalgae waaay back. It was being choked out a bit by hair algae. I may throw a couple of blue mushrooms in from the lagoon, they multiply like crazy and a few are just floating around the tank!

Whoa that was a deep clean!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad Crab was out of his hidey hole last night. I spied him with my red flashlight, but it was too difficult to get a picture. I still throw him and the massive amphipods a couple of pellets every other day or so. 

I think I'm going to start harvesting some of the pods for snacktime for my fish. They are so big and bold that they are out and about all day long, even when the lights are on!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bad Crab is up for adoption. I just don't really wanna care for him anymore. 

Anyone near NWI can have him for free. I frequently travel to "Chicagoland" and SW MI isn't terribly far away. I'd be willing to meet up for a drop off.

Pest tank, fish food...? I don't have the heart to dispose of him, and I haven't decided to hire my husband as a hitman just yet. 

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Bad Crab is up for adoption. I just don't really wanna care for him anymore. 

Anyone near NWI can have him for free. I frequently travel to "Chicagoland" and SW MI isn't terribly far away. I'd be willing to meet up for a drop off.

Pest tank, fish food...? I don't have the heart to dispose of him, and I haven't decided to hire my husband as a hitman just yet. 

Mail him to WV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1