Pod Your Reef

Kimber's Contest Pico - The End of Bad Crab

kimberbee

Glad you got bad crab in his new home and he is eating.  We need as many of these tanks to make it to the end of the contest as possible.  It is really sad to see people have to take them down.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Glad you got bad crab in his new home and he is eating.  We need as many of these tanks to make it to the end of the contest as possible.  It is really sad to see people have to take them down.

I'm glad I was able to put mine back up and had a reason to. It'll really be iffy on whether or not I'm able to get anything else in the tank by the end of the contest though. I am hoping to buy some macro algae Monday or Tuesday, but I haven't been able to find a light mounting solution yet. 😕

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Am I doing this algae thing right?

Looks good.  Anything that you think looks good is fine.  I tend to try to keep caulerpa away from the rocks; but that's not necessary.  Just make sure they get enough nutrients.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
34 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

My ReefCleaners order came early...

Am I doing this algae thing right?

20191017_160059.thumb.jpg.4711f847f315bd5f0d3e0481f57a641a.jpg

That's starting to look good 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good!  As long as bad crab and you are happy I think it is the way to go.  The rock has some nice holes that you can stick coral plugs in when you are ready.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Hiya @kimberbee! Can you believe it has been 7 months already?

I like the "Benjamin Button" theme you have going with this old school pico reef tank, it looks younger with age! 😂

This is a friendly reminder to post your final competition FTS and a 1 to 2 paragraph recap of your experience in the pico reef competition. Be sure to share your future plans for your pico reef as well, will it continue forward or get an upgrade? The competition ends on Sunday October 27th at midnight!

Thank you for being a part of the Old School Pico Reef Competition! ❤️ 

• Haha 3
38 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I like the "Benjamin Button" theme you have going with this old school pico reef tank, it looks younger with age! 😂

I'll take this as a compliment!! 😁

• Like 3

Last Official FTS:

20191027_113819.thumb.jpg.95821db8b979b5d974e49b06b40f50ca.jpg

I had hoped to get a water change in yesterday to help clean up some of the junk off the sandbed... but I spent 3 hours on my other tanks and had to take a break!!

• Like 4

Contest recap and final thoughts:

What a rough start this poor tank had! While I'm glad I'm here to finish the contest out, I can say it'll be a LONG time before I attempt another pico tank! 

I really should have considered timing much earlier, as being away on vacation for 10 days isn't a very good idea with a pico that evaporates water so quickly. Those salinity swings were the biggest contributing factor to the slow pace and half-demise of the tank. 

I'm glad I found Bad Crab, and am happy to give him a home, but when he meets his end, the tank will probably come down. 

Congrats to everyone who stuck woth the contest and good luck in the voting!! 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

There was a Bad Crab sighting last night!!

He really doesn't come out much, so I'm glad to know he's still in there alive and well!!🥰🦀

#naughtycrabsneedlovetoo

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I did a quick water change on the pico late last week. Bad Crab is still hanging out in the rocks and I hardly ever see him. 😕

Great Video, love all these little Maintenance Videos that are popping up lately, really relaxing watching it as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I did a quick water change on the pico late last week. Bad Crab is still hanging out in the rocks and I hardly ever see him. 😕

Sucks to have such a cool little dude and not get to see it much. When I had my pom pom crab I hardly ever saw him and that's a cool little crab.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Sucks to have such a cool little dude and not get to see it much. When I had my pom pom crab I hardly ever saw him and that's a cool little crab.

I guess I was lucky my pom pom was out a decent amount of the time. Pretty much I have to go hunting to see this guy and the most I see is a couple of crab feet. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, kimberbee said:

I guess I was lucky my pom pom was out a decent amount of the time. Pretty much I have to go hunting to see this guy and the most I see is a couple of crab feet. 

Oh that's cool, at least you got to see yours. I've though about finding another one. Just waiting to see if the fish store gets any in.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Took my Pom Pom back as soon as I saw it using Aiptasia 

• Haha 3