Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

Snow_Phoenix
16 minutes ago, hayseed777 said:

Is the Aquamaxx 2.6gal an approved tank?

Does it fall within the dimension rules? I believe a 2" variance is allowed in 2 dimensions. I have a 1" variance in one dimension, and I *think my tank is allowed. :unsure:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I believe the the 50 is max 

@seabass please correct me

31 minutes ago, spectra said:

yes 50 is the limit.

Perfect I’ll pick one up then thank you!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, hayseed777 said:

Is the Aquamaxx 2.6gal an approved tank?

I'd assume so, unless we are being pedantic and saying that 11.9 isn't 12 inches, and therefore you have a variance in THREE of the dinensions.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
5 hours ago, asting said:

I'd assume so, unless we are being pedantic and saying that 11.9 isn't 12 inches, and therefore you have a variance in THREE of the dinensions.

Haha, we're not though, so that tank will be fine 😄. That should be fine @hayseed777.

I am just seeking tanks that are reasonably similar in dimension to a classic 12"x6"x8" 2.5gal tank. The parameters listed are my attempt at setting a hard boundary, so the "reasonably similar" concept didn't drift too far off course.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
23 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Wait, so are internal filters fine if air driven? like a small sponge filter?

CAF-25_w_box_Web_large.jpg.49c09e8e0ceb918c522162bdd8eabc2f.jpg

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

no internal filters are allowed.

only HOB or no filter

12 hours ago, asting said:

Is it an accessory for an air pump?

No internal filters will be allowed for this competition, sorry @Lingwendil!

While that could be considered just an accessory for an air pump, it is also, quite literally, an internal filter @asting 😛 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What if the sponge is attached to the input of a powerhead for internal circulation? It would be protecting animals from being pulled into the intake.

Sorry, playing a little devil's advocate, but it is also relevant for one of the options I am considering.

3 minutes ago, Beer said:

What if the sponge is attached to the input of a powerhead for internal circulation? It would be protecting animals from being pulled into the intake.

I think you are asking about a prefilter sponge for your powerhead (like what's included with some pumps).  If the prefilter simply covers the intakes of the powerhead, I imagine that would be fine.  However, if you are connecting a internal sponge filter to a powerhead, that would be disallowed just like if it were air driven.  Mesh might be another option for protecting livestock from getting sucked into an intake.

• Like 1

In the "spirit of the law" as it were, I suppose adding a prefilter sponge would be fine, as it's an addition to the intake only, but an internal filter would be disallowed as it is specifically intended to act as a filter... At least that's what seems like a reasonable interpretation to me... You get into splitting hairs though. Hmmm.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Haha, we're not though, so that tank will be fine 😄. That should be fine @hayseed777.

I am just seeking tanks that are reasonably similar in dimension to a classic 12"x6"x8" 2.5gal tank. The parameters listed are my attempt at setting a hard boundary, so the "reasonably similar" concept didn't drift too far off course.

10-4. Just wanted to be sure, since there is technically a variance in 3 dimensions. Thanks CM and Seabass.

Christopher Marks
33 minutes ago, Beer said:

Sorry, playing a little devil's advocate, but it is also relevant for one of the options I am considering.

16 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

In the "spirit of the law" as it were, I suppose adding a prefilter sponge would be fine, as it's an addition to the intake only, but an internal filter would be disallowed as it is specifically intended to act as a filter... At least that's what seems like a reasonable interpretation to me... You get into splitting hairs though. Hmmm.

No kidding! My hair is thin enough as it is 😄 

23 minutes ago, seabass said:

I think you are asking about a prefilter sponge for your powerhead (like what's included with some pumps).  If the prefilter simply covers the intakes of the powerhead, I imagine that would be fine.  However, if you are connecting a internal sponge filter to a powerhead, that would be disallowed just like if it were air driven.  Mesh might be another option for protecting livestock from getting sucked into an intake.

I agree with @seabass and @Lingwendil's assessment here @Beer

• Haha 2
Christopher Marks
On 3/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Resources

I updated the announcement with a list of aquariums known to qualify. Did I miss any others?

Any other suggested topics or articles you'd recommend I add to the resources section?

26 minutes ago, caas1496 said:

My LFS has a tank that is 30x20x24 cm. Would this be allowed?

To convert that, it's 11.8 x 7.9 x 9.4".  So that should be alright.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Christopher Marks
48 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Can we use this tank? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-gallon-rimless-aquarium-mr-aqua.html

Can just put the bow to a back if the bow is a problem?

I'd really prefer we stick to rectangles only...

But in the interest of accessibility and supporting another awesome community sponsor Bulk Reef Supply, I will allow this tank as an exception. I think @asting is also using it?

I do like the idea of putting the bow to the back side and using the flat front for the competition, I'd recommend it. The idea is to keep the 'blank canvas' roughly the same between each tank. And for the hair splitters out there who will now want me to allow a JBJ Picotope tank, I won't because it is nearly 9" wide and with bent glass it's just too different than the other tanks. It's really so close, I know, but no.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

But in the interest of accessibility and supporting another awesome community sponsor Bulk Reef Supply, I will allow this tank as an exception. I think @asting is also using it?

I do like the idea of putting the bow to the back side and using the flat front for the competition, I'd recommend it. The idea is to keep the 'blank canvas' roughly the same between each tank. And for the hair splitters out there who will now want me to allow a JBJ Picotope tank, I won't because it is nearly 9" wide and with bent glass it's just too different than the other tanks. It's really so close, I know, but no.

👍

Need to leak test my broken jank tank and see where I end up. If it leaks or looks like it is going to explode, I am going rimless. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I absolutely agree about the bow being places in the rear, I believe I suggested that when I was asking about the Picotopes early in the contest idea thread

I believe it was me who was asking about the Picotope early on in the contest idea thread, but I have since just purchased a standard 2.5 as you've seen in my contest thread. 

I will save my TWO jbj picotopes for another day.....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic