Christopher Marks

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

kimdawg

Do It!!!! you will have a lot of fun and everyone is very helpful and supporting if you have a problem or just need advice.  It is more about the learning and pushing this size tank to be the best it can be instead of arguing over who will win the prizes.

• Like 8

seabass

FTS: 06/27/19

062719a.jpg

• Like 10

Joevember

Anyone using a fan or chiller? My tank has been overheating a couple degrees on hotter days and I'm concerned that it could cause some damage when it gets too hot. Just want to know how others are keeping their pico cool.

seabass

If you have a solid top (glass or acrylic), remove it, or replace it with a mesh top to encourage evaporative cooling.  If that's still not enough, a fan will help.  Keep in mind that you'll be losing a lot of water, and daily top offs would be absolutely critical.  An ATO would be a great addition.

There are a few chiller options available in the $100 area.  However, for a couple degrees, a fan should suffice.

• Like 2

Joevember
1 hour ago, seabass said:

If you have a solid top (glass or acrylic), remove it, or replace it with a mesh top to encourage evaporative cooling.  If that's still not enough, a fan will help.  Keep in mind that you'll be losing a lot of water, and daily top offs would be absolutely critical.  An ATO would be a great addition.

There are a few chiller options available in the $100 area.  However, for a couple degrees, a fan should suffice.

Thanks! I have some computer fans lying around my house, so I can probably figure something out. Or I can buy an aquarium fan.

I haven't used any lids on the tank, none of the ones I built looked good. They just don't go with the seamless look on the UNS tanks. 

I also have a JBJ ATO that I haven't set back up on the pico. Again, it just looks bad... form over function 😂 I top off daily anyway. 

So I think I'll upgrade the blue InkBird I have to the green one (the one that does heating and cooling, I know it has a model name 🙃) and run a fan on the cooling port. I'm just concerned about the pico overheating later in the summer, Chicago's supposed to be getting hit with 100° for a while. Temp can fluctuate too easily in these small tanks.

• Like 1

seabass
20 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Chicago's supposed to be getting hit with 100° for a while.

No AC?

Joevember
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

No AC?

I don't have control over that 🙄

RudyEnt

Use a fan across the top of the tank.  It should help at least a degree or so.  But if the temperature goes up that much it may not do much.  Also a bag with ice to help the temp go down for a while will do the trick in a pinch.  The reason for the bag or Zip-Lock is that you will not introduce any extra water to the tank.  It worked after a hurricane for me.  Good Luck.

• Like 1

ChristopherDido

Are we still doing FTSs here? 😁

IMG_20190717_185219-01.thumb.jpeg.e40faae18b5243583607c482705f1d8c.jpeg

• Like 4