ReefCleaners.org

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

pricewayne

Finally got an update in my journal -- added a fish, some inverts and a few small frags over last couple weeks 🤓

05/10 FTS:

IMG_4655.thumb.jpg.6113103a976f2a21be2529e69ee3bc2a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 3
On 3/23/2019 at 9:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

at least one monthly update to their contest journal that will include a full tank shot photograph

Looks like the journal. I think people just like sharing their pics on this thread

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Looks like the journal. I think people just like sharing their pics on this thread

Yep, the rules state that we are to post at least one current FTS in our journal threads each and every month.  Although I think it would be nice if contestants also posted a monthly shoot here, so others can follow along without digging through a few dozen threads.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Contestants are required to post at least one monthly update to their contest journal that will include a full tank shot photograph in order to remain eligible, at the bare minimum. Your build thread must also include the tag "Old School Pico Reef", so that they are easy to locate on the forums. We all can understand that life gets in the way of our hobby sometimes, photo updates can be up to a week behind, but if you miss more than 2 monthly updates along the way, you will be disqualified.

• Like 6
debbeach13

I wish that any contestants that still do not have "Old School Pico Reef" in their thread title would do. I found another one this morning. Especially if monthly FTS are only required in their journals and not here.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Has there been clarification on where we are posting FTS? @Christopher Marks

Just in your journals is the only requirement, though everyone is encouraged to post a periodic FTS here too, but it's just for fun. 

I'm getting the master participant list ready today.

• Like 6
pricewayne
6 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I wish that any contestants that still do not have "Old School Pico Reef" in their thread title would do. I found another one this morning. Especially if monthly FTS are only required in their journals and not here.

Can check them out from article tag! If you scroll up to top of this page can click on “old school pico reef” just below the page title.

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
52 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Just in your journals is the only requirement, though everyone is encouraged to post a periodic FTS here too, but it's just for fun. 

I'm getting the master participant list ready today.

About time 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
debbeach13
4 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Can check them out from article tag! If you scroll up to top of this page can click on “old school pico reef” just below the page title.

Thanks that shows 44 contestants!

• Like 2
  • Wow 5
debbeach13

Requesting an update from the contestant (I think the member is part of the contest) that is trying the magnetic automatic BBS feeder? The last update I saw a video of some movement or hatching. Is it working? Is it automatically feeding the tank? I am considering getting one or getting the breeding dish. Can't decide which one.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Requesting an update from the contestant (I think the member is part of the contest) that is trying the magnetic automatic BBS feeder? The last update I saw a video of some movement or hatching. Is it working? Is it automatically feeding the tank? I am considering getting one or getting the breeding dish. Can't decide which one.

Paging Dr. @pricewayne.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
pricewayne
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

21 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Paging Dr. @pricewayne.

@Tigahboy do not trust me as your doctor!! Lol.

@debbeach13 -- it's working great and easy to keep up with. Mine is the PJ Reef magnetic artemia feeder.

Every 12-18hrs I'll rotate the feeder to submerge new eggs to hatch -- I've been able to get away with 2 rotations per batch (or 3 total "hatches" per batch, first is the initial area that's submerged, and then rotate 12-18hrs, two times). It seems especially worth the value -- with shipping the feeder + 3 month supply of artemia eggs came out to $39 which is maybe $4 more than a bottle of live tisbe pods from my LFS.

It has a small in-tank footprint (top right of my tank):

IMG_5192.thumb.jpg.4f3d266057da260a16096f3cfe2a1b59.jpg

This was about 8hrs (I think) into the first hatch: 

& this is about 12hrs:

@Tamberav - has yours come in yet? I know she ordered one as well!

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

@Tigahboy do not trust me as your doctor!! Lol.

@debbeach13 -- it's working great and easy to keep up with. Mine is the PJ Reef magnetic artemia feeder.

Every 12-18hrs I'll rotate the feeder to submerge new eggs to hatch -- I've been able to get away with 2 rotations per batch (or 3 total "hatches" per batch, first is the initial area that's submerged, and then rotate 12-18hrs, two times). It seems especially worth the value -- with shipping the feeder + 3 month supply of artemia eggs came out to $39 which is maybe $4 more than a bottle of live tisbe pods from my LFS.

It has a small in-tank footprint (top right of my tank)imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b:

IMG_5192.thumb.jpg.4f3d266057da260a16096f3cfe2a1b59.jpg

This was about 8hrs (I think) into the first hatch: 

& this is about 12hrs:

@Tamberav - has yours come in yet? I know she ordered one as well!

OK.  Now you are just showing off with that FTS.  LOL.  So awesome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic