Cultivated Reef

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

This guy is extra salty
18 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Glued a price of glass over the back. Not janky at all! 

IMG_20190326_001719.jpg

Looks good!

i thought it was some wal decoration from the 80’s

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

IMG_20190326_001719.jpg

I mean, I'd duct tape the back corners, to help keep the new glass in tension with the rest of the tank. That way, instead of the back panel taking ALL the load of the new glass and the water pressing outwards, if you taped the corners, the new piece of glass would be supported by the sides as well as the back. Even out the load.

Saw 2 mantis shrimp, a baby horseshoe crab, and a few arrow crabs as an LFS 45 minutes away from me yesterday...🤪

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Why not black acrylic?  Not that I don't appreciate the ghetto repair job. :smilie:

Snow_Phoenix
56 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I mean, I'd duct tape the back corners, to help keep the new glass in tension with the rest of the tank. That way, instead of the back panel taking ALL the load of the new glass and the water pressing outwards, if you taped the corners, the new piece of glass would be supported by the sides as well as the back. Even out the load.

Saw 2 mantis shrimp, a baby horseshoe crab, and a few arrow crabs as an LFS 45 minutes away from me yesterday...🤪

What type of mantises? 🙂 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

What type of mantises? 🙂 

A couple different smashers. One looked like a peacock, I have no idea what the other was, it was about 5 inches, but it wasn't a Zebra

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, MetaTank said:

I am guessing it's okay since the tank has a rim...rim should be taking the load I would think.

22 minutes ago, seabass said:

Why not black acrylic?  Not that I don't appreciate the ghetto repair job. :smilie:

Well...I wanted to do this on the cheap and the scrap glass was 2 bucks. I may put some sort of background over it...we will see what I can find.

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I am guessing it's okay since the tank has a rim...rim.should be taking the load.

To be honest, I just wanted to see duct tape on it

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, MetaTank said:

To be honest, I just wanted to see duct tape on it

I don't own any duct tape :tears: but it would be a nice touch.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Well...I wanted to do this on the cheap and the scrap glass was 2 bucks. I may put some sort of background over it...we will see what I can find.

How about spray-in pond foam?  You could leave it black, or cover it with sand and/or rock to make a fake rock wall.

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

How about spray-in pond foam?  You could leave it black, or cover it with sand and/or rock to make a fake rock wall.

Nahh alreasdy made my scape and it would mess with it. I have an idea I might try.

MainelyReefer
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Nahh alreasdy made my scape and it would mess with it. I have an idea I might try.

Like spending 12$ on another tank

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
This guy is extra salty
5 hours ago, seabass said:

Glass has a better bond with silicone than acrylic 

58 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Glass has a better bond with silicone than acrylic 

True, but the acrylic doesn't have to hold water or stand up to pressure.  It would just have to stick to the existing back wall.

1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Start one. You know you wanna. 😈

Of course I wanna! But I just tore down my 2.5g freshwater to make room for a FW upgrade. (I have an addiction problem can you tell)

• Like 5
1 minute ago, metrokat said:

Of course I wanna! But I just tore down my 2.5g freshwater to make room for a FW upgrade. (I have an addiction problem can you tell)

We should start an MTS support group. :flower:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Dammit. I'm already working on replacing my 20 long with a 40 breeder, and I have a 10 tall fresh, 5.5 planted, 3.5 betta tank, and a 2.5 natural-light planted shrimp setup already! I can't find anywhere else to set up another tank!

I do need a temporary setup for a cleanup crew and critters while the 40 is getting put together, and the 20 is getting stripped and prepped to transfer. Hmmmm. Maybe time to set up a tank on my nightstand 🙂

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

10x8x9 fits the rules, right?

Penn Plax Vertex Aquarium

$38 for a rimless aint too bad...

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12" x 6" x 8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.

• Max variance of 2" is allowed in twodimensions only.

Technically, no because it has a variance in 3 of the dimensions? A strict reading anyway. The first dimension is 10 vs standard 12, second dimension is 6 vs standard 8, and third dimension is 8 vs 9. Maybe you say the 8 should be matched against 8, but then your 6 is left with a 3" variance against 9.

This one qualifies and I've been eyeing.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-gallon-rimless-aquarium-mr-aqua.html

• Like 1

Ah, I got the numbers swapped. 

I have a soft spot for the 2.5 AGA pattern tanks, my first nano was a 2.5G in one, and I used to have a dozen of them for freshwater breeding projects. I currently have a 2.5 planted that is near a window sill with algae-free natural light, so I think another small reef in one will be a fun project. Maybe I'll pick one up and start another- would be a nice contrast to the current one having a simple sponge filter and a heater with nothing else for equipment- also a good excuse to DIY another LED light for experimentation 🙂

Wonder how the GF will take it- if anything it's somewhere to put all the critters from the 20 as I slowly start taking it down.

Hmmmm.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, metrokat said:

That sounds to me like you already have everything you need to participate

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic