Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I could ask how much it would cost to cut the glass.

It's $10 for a glass cutter:  https://www.amazon.com/5mm-15mm-Silver-Pencil-Carbide-Cutting/dp/B072N31K6Q/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=glass+cutter&qid=1556412526&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011&rnid=2661617011&s=gateway&sr=8-3

However, a local glass shop might not charge a whole lot more to cut it for you.  Might be worth calling around.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, seabass said:

Unfortunately, there is just the solid glass top.  However, it's not that difficult to cut glass to make room for your HOB filter.

4 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Doh!! I've been lied to lol. False advertising. I could ask how much it would cost to cut the glass. If not I'll put the tank on the kitchen counter to cat proof it😂 

Cheap/easy DIY would be an acrylic sheet you could cut at home — actually about to cut one now and see how it looks.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I find that acrylic tops tend to warp over time.

Well, damn lol. Gonna have to do for now until I figure something else out. 

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

True, though in my case it was 48 inches long vs 12 inches for a 2.5g  tank so it might be better? I found a lid from a 5g tank...that tank is gonna be super duper janky.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

True, though in my case it was 48 inches long vs 12 inches for a 2.5g  tank so it might be better?

Yeah a 12 x 6 top stands a better chance.  Plus, the thicker the acrylic the better 

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Depending on thickness and heat applied to it all acrylic and lexan will “bow” just flip that baby over lol 

🤣

that reminds me I need to make a lid!🏃‍♂️

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, hayseed777 said:

20190424_012111.jpg

you need to start a build thread 

And give me some Oreo cause I can’t find the GOT ones anywhere

• Haha 3
Christopher Marks

🚨Today is the last day to enter the competition! 🚨

On 3/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

This means that by April 30th you will need to have done the following tasks:

1. Sourced your qualifying 2.5 gallon pico reef tank and equipment.
  2. Started a new aquarium journal here on Nano-Reef.com in our Pico Reefs Forum.
  3. Shared a photo of your dry pico reef tank in your competition journal with Your Favorite Snack Food inside.
  4. Posted an announcement of your entry into the contest here in this thread with a link to your build journal.

For all my fellow procrastinators out there: Competing aquariums do not have to be full of water today, just documented in a new journal with a snack food inside! Don't get too far behind though! 😅

I count 42 entries so far, but I still need to verify that all competition journals have the appropriate tag "old school pico reef" set. Our official competitors list will be posted soon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

948513459_giphy(8).gif.538bca9184a06c84199388ba90777927.gif

Speaking of procrastinators...…………..how is your tank ? 

Hell mine has life in it saw an aptasia growing on the rock :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Anybody in the San Francisco Bay Area here in California-  that is on a budget or waffling back and forth about joining or is too broke to buy sand, rock, or filter-

I am going to have extra dry rock, dry sand, and a couple of the AZOO palm/60 filters I don't need. I will gladly donate a few pounds of tropic eden fine sand, a few pounds of rock, and an AZOO filter to get you started.

Just buy the damn tank, start a thread with the snack food in it tonight, (or already have it set up) and we can arrange some way to get the stuff to you. I'm in the east bay but work in mountain view, so can figure out something to meet up along 680 or highway 4. Sorry, not able to ship at this time.

No excuses! 😁

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
fishfreak0114

Oh man I wish I could join!  Alas I just set up a 3G shrimp tank on the weekend and I’m not allowed any more tanks :rolleyes:  Good luck everyone!  I hope to make my through through all of the tank journals. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Anybody in the San Francisco Bay Area here in California-  that is on a budget or waffling back and forth about joining or is too broke to buy sand, rock, or filter-

I am going to have extra dry rock, dry sand, and a couple of the AZOO palm/60 filters I don't need. I will gladly donate a few pounds of tropic eden fine sand, a few pounds of rock, and an AZOO filter to get you started.

Just buy the damn tank, start a thread with the snack food in it tonight, (or already have it set up) and we can arrange some way to get the stuff to you. I'm in the east bay but work in mountain view, so can figure out something to meet up along 680 or highway 4. Sorry, not able to ship at this time.

No excuses! 😁

So very nice of you!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spectra said:

Speaking of procrastinators...…………..how is your tank ? 

Hell mine has life in it saw an aptasia growing on the rock :rolleyes:

Still on the bookshelf

having trouble picking a favorite snack food without hurting the feelings of the other snacks

• Sad 1
  • Haha 8
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic