ReefCleaners.org

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks
14 hours ago, Harkins Aquatics said:

Ok so I just saw this on Instagram yesterday. Had a hard time finding the standard tank so I was looking around and found a tank that is a peninsula style tank with a semicircle on the end. Measures 11.3x6.2x9.5 

I think it qualifies and plan on using an old fluvel 20 I have. 

I'm pretty close on all the dimensions but understand if it dosen't qualify.

20190421_222129.jpg

Welcome to the community! This is within the range of dimensions, but I'd really prefer a rectangular footprint. If this is truly your best option though, I won't exclude you from participating with this as your tank. It sounds like you're planning to use just the tank only, and not the filter, right?

• Like 1

Any heater recommendations for the back chamber of an AC50?

If you saw my journal you proabably know why I'm asking here...

I'll be using an Inkbird as well with it. Which is the best model for tanks?

1 hour ago, Joevember said:

Any heater recommendations for the back chamber of an AC50?

If you saw my journal you proabably know why I'm asking here...

I'll be using an Inkbird as well with it. Which is the best model for tanks?

I've been using 50 watt Tetra & it's keeping my temp steady at 78°, even without being hooked up to my inkbird.

The temp inside my house has been anywhere from 68-74 the whole time too.

Harkins Aquatics
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community! This is within the range of dimensions, but I'd really prefer a rectangular footprint. If this is truly your best option though, I won't exclude you from participating with this as your tank. It sounds like you're planning to use just the tank only, and not the filter, right?

@Christopher Marks that is correct I'll be using a fluvel 20 hob which is the same as an aqueon 20. I'm still looking for the glass ot a similar one In my area as of right now so this is my backup

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, 2020reef said:

Do I have to setup a standard 2.5 or can I use a topfin 2.5

The topfin 2.5 is an all in one, which is not qualified. Also the dimensions are not allowed.

Standard 2.5 tanks or ones with similar dimensions are the only tanks allowed.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Contestants are required to post at least one monthly update to their contest journal that will include a full tank shot photograph in order to remain eligible, at the bare minimum

I'm wondering if maybe we should also post our monthly FTS shots here.  That way people could follow the contestants' progress without necessarily having to visit each individual journal.  Nothing mandatory; I think that most of us posted an entry photo here already. :unsure:

• Like 6
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm wondering if maybe we should also post our monthly FTS shots here.  That way people could follow the contestants' progress without necessarily having to visit each individual journal.  Nothing mandatory; I think that most of us posted an entry photo here already. :unsure:

I second this..

or just have everyone post a monthly FTS to the “contestant FTS”

but the CM will have to remove a bunch of chatter after each photo🗣🙅‍♂️

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

but the CM will have to remove a bunch of chatter after each photo🗣

Chatter = disqualification!! 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just for clarification, on April 30th whatever is on the tank and running is to be used for the whole competition? Or are changes and upgrades allowed throughout the contest period as long as they stay within the specified rules?

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
32 minutes ago, ksadam said:

Just for clarification, on April 30th whatever is on the tank and running is to be used for the whole competition? Or are changes and upgrades allowed throughout the contest period as long as they stay within the specified rules?

Changes to equipment can be made during the contest as long as they stay within the specified requirements. A qualifying HOB filter could be added later during the competition, or removed later, for example. A heater or powerhead could fail along the way and need replacement. Some competitors may want to change their plans for filtration and circulation along the way, this is ok too. Tank replacements may also be needed as accidents happen, replacement tanks should be similar to the previous tank.

I'm sure many people will journal the changes they make, and our base journal photo requirement will also document changes made over time.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

This means that by April 30th you will need to have done the following tasks:

1. Sourced your qualifying 2.5 gallon pico reef tank and equipment.
  2. Started a new aquarium journal here on Nano-Reef.com in our Pico Reefs Forum.
  3. Shared a photo of your dry pico reef tank in your competition journal with Your Favorite Snack Food inside.
  4. Posted an announcement of your entry into the contest here in this thread with a link to your build journal.

Another clarification: Competing aquariums do not have to be wet by April 30th, just documented in a journal with a snack food inside. Don't fall too far behind though!

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Getting ready to set up mine! But noob question...how do I link to my journal ? Not good at this lol

If you’ve started your pico journal, just need to copy the link address and then paste into the comments here 🙃

If you haven’t started your journal yet, can start it from the Pico Journal page and click create new button at the top.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

If you’ve started your pico journal, just need to copy the link address and then paste into the comments here 🙃

If you haven’t started your journal yet, can start it from the Pico Journal page and click create new button at the top.

Thanks!! I'll work on it this weekend 

• Like 3

Question: would these be ok to use? Not sure if they're considered internal filter

...I know it's an old fashionned filter hahaha.  Remember using these as a child 20 years ago😂

Screenshot_20190427-153016_Amazon Shopping.jpg

2 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Question: would these be ok to use? Not sure if they're considered internal filter

Yep, that's an internal filter; so sorry, it's a no go for this competition.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yep, that's an internal filter; so sorry, it's a no go for this competition.

Too bad. They shipped me the wrong glass lid there's no plastic strip to cut so no way I can use my HOB in there i have 2 heavy cats so mesh lid won't do 😕

49 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Too bad. They shipped me the wrong glass lid there's no plastic strip to cut so no way I can use my HOB in there i have 2 heavy cats so mesh lid won't do 😕

Unfortunately, there is just the solid glass top.  However, it's not that difficult to cut glass to make room for your HOB filter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Unfortunately, there is just the solid glass top.  However, it's not that difficult to cut glass to make room for your HOB filter.

Doh!! I've been lied to lol. False advertising. I could ask how much it would cost to cut the glass. If not I'll put the tank on the kitchen counter to cat proof it😂 

• Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic