Cultivated Reef

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

Might be fun can we limit it to frags only? It’s kind of lame to have people shove a couple hundred dollars of mature coral and rock into a pico and show off a gorgeous reef. A big part of the challenge should be to grow out the pico not just decorate it. 

I think it should be left to personal preference on how or what someone wants to stock their tank with. Part of the challenge already lies on the choice of livestock you make - size (frag/colony) shouldn't be an issue. More freedom given also means more room for creativity. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I think it should be left to personal preference on how or what someone wants to stock their tank with. Part of the challenge already lies on the choice of livestock you make - size (frag/colony) shouldn't be an issue. More freedom given also means more room for creativity. 

It’s funny when ppl say “sounds like fun” and then follow up with “can we limit” this or that. Lmao

Besides, rules have been set ALREADY. 

It makes no difference to me as I’m not participating but assuming that it’s an advantage to keeping large colony of whatever in tinny tank like 2.5  is not really accurate. Besides, by choosing grown out colonies over smaller pieces of coral makes your color/species diversity kinda limited. And if your “large” showpiece colony hits the wall or dies, replacing it is going to be costly, embarrassing and a bi$ch. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Anyone know the size of the ATO reservoir of reefer 350? I think that’s 2.8 gallon?

Sounds about right; you can measure yours.  I assume that you're considering entering with your Red Sea reservoir.  The rules state, "A Standard 2.5 gallon 12" x 6" x 8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.  Max variance of 2" is allowed in two dimensions only."

A sump reservoir isn't really a standard tank, but I get the idea.  If it fits within the allowed variances, you may have something; but CM would have to make the call.  Worst case, you could join in the fun by competing for the "Best Rule Breaker - Award for the coolest 2.5g tank that doesn't follow the contest rules, or qualify for other prizes, but still tags along for fun!"

• Like 3

The ATO is a separate glass tank and really no different than any other tank other than plugging a small hole. I thought about using mine but not sure it fits the dimensions.

• Like 2

So I added the Asta 20 to my cart but I am still on the fence between that and the Pixie 30.  Decisions decisions.  CM your contests are enough to drive an over thinker bat shit crazy.  

• Haha 3
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The ATO is a separate glass tank and really no different than any other tank other than plugging a small hole. I thought about using mine but not sure it fits the dimensions.

Oh sorry Harry, I thought it was integrated into the sump.  Then yeah, I imagine that it'd be fine, just as long as the dimensions are within tolerances.

HarryPotter
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Oh sorry Harry, I thought it was integrated into the sump.  Then yeah, I imagine that it'd be fine, just as long as the dimensions are within tolerances.

Yeah, I am not home, but am curious if the stock reservoir fits the dimensional requirements. Would be incentive to join lol, if dont need to grab a tank. 

The rules seem odd here, like allowing a HOB filter, but no DIY AIO. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Maybe a little; but that's what we used back in the day.  It's more of a visual than a functional restriction.  Functionally, you can still add a media basket to an AC filter, which serves a similar purpose.

• Like 2

@Wingy

If you're on the fence, go for the higher powered one. I have the Asta20, and i love it for this tank, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything much bigger than 3-4 gallons, while the Pixie would have a better range of tanks it could work on.

I just went for the cheaper one, cause I'm janky

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Yeah, I am not home, but am curious if the stock reservoir fits the dimensional requirements. Would be incentive to join lol, if dont need to grab a tank. 

18longx5widex8.5tall.  I thought the same thing but it’s way too long.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

18longx5widex8.5tall.  I thought the same thing but it’s way too long.

I feel like these slim line jugs would be perfect size. Also the drain would make water changes a breeze 

https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Home-Products-00743-Container/dp/B001FD6YWE/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_2/147-6901081-2335362?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FD6YWE&pd_rd_r=f24c2524-4f38-11e9-9988-a90d46ea6b0d&pd_rd_w=lRVoN&pd_rd_wg=Zv2Q1&pf_rd_p=3ecc74bd-d08f-44bd-96f3-d0c2b89f563a&pf_rd_r=KG2EKCGSXNEKMRC6G1NJ&psc=1&refRID=KG2EKCGSXNEKMRC6G1NJ

4 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

I feel like these slim line jugs would be perfect size. Also the drain would make water changes a breeze

That would have worked for our last contest. :mellow:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I thought research had be done and the ac50 was the largest filter to fit under the 0.5gal requirement

It does say total water volume not to exceed .5gal. How much water is in there when you stuff chaeto, heater, etc?

Also, being strict on that seems a little odd, given if you go 2" wider and 2" taller you would have 60% (1.6gallons) more volume than a 2.5. Much bigger difference there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I thought research had be done and the ac50 was the largest filter to fit under the 0.5gal requirement

I'm not following the rules so how would I know 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, spectra said:

####ing cheaters......................:rolleyes:

i could always just place a HOB on the tank for monthly photos, but I said from the get go that CM can't tell me what to do . :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

i could always just place a HOB on the tank for monthly photos, but I said from the get go that CM can't tell me what to do . :lol:

Better to be an honest cheater, than a dishonest butthead. I approve

• Like 4
22 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I said from the get go that CM can't tell me what to do . :lol:

Yea your a man gosh damnit.. (if you havent ever seen this interview well your missing it)

spacer.png

• Haha 2

https://www.aqueon.com/products/aquarium-starter-kits/minibow-led-kits
I wish i could get the actual dimensions of this tank. Using this site's listing would put it closer to 4.5 gallons, which is obviously wrong.

Also, what about a jbj picotope? Its dimensions are listed as 11.8x8.9x8.1, which is .1" too wide. i'm assuming this includes the flared bottom though, not the actual tank so it would be within spec?

buy this, cut it down? https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-3.5-gallon-enchant-aquarium-5253372.html

righttirefire
21 minutes ago, asting said:

"Condition water during set up and each water change. Water testing, water conditioner, and bacteria starter are keys to success. Let water sit for 4 hours before introducing fish."

Thats a cut and paste from that link. Lol... sound advise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
21 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

"Condition water during set up and each water change. Water testing, water conditioner, and bacteria starter are keys to success. Let water sit for 4 hours before introducing fish."

Thats a cut and paste from that link. Lol... sound advise

EZPZ. keep your fish in their bag for four hours, then dump them in.

• Haha 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic