SaltCritters.com

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

Welp, my AC50 hang on back motor stopped working! Honestly, not sure if it stopped this morning or overnight. 

I removed the motor and disassembled (pulled the magnetic rod with blades out) — used a q-tip to try and clean anything that may have been caught (no gunk or hair was in there that I could see) — reassembled, added water, plugged back in and nothin’. No sound - doesn’t seem like it’s trying to come back on at all 😭 It’s never been run dry and it’s new.. any ideas on how to fix or do I need to run out and buy a new one?

34 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Welp, my AC50 hang on back motor stopped working! Honestly, not sure if it stopped this morning or overnight. 

I removed the motor and disassembled (pulled the magnetic rod with blades out) — used a q-tip to try and clean anything that may have been caught (no gunk or hair was in there that I could see) — reassembled, added water, plugged back in and nothin’. No sound - doesn’t seem like it’s trying to come back on at all 😭 It’s never been run dry and it’s new.. any ideas on how to fix or do I need to run out and buy a new one?

Wow that's crazy aqua clear filters are die hard lol.   I remember one went ran dry in a qt set up was super hot to touch, few hours after it cooled down was still working like a champ. 

3 hours ago, pricewayne said:

I think you should exchange it

3 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Wow that's crazy aqua clear filters are die hard lol.   I remember one went ran dry in a qt set up was super hot to touch, few hours after it cooled down was still working like a champ. 

30 minutes ago, asting said:

I think you should exchange it

Gave it a couple hours and then cleaned the motor again, added water back in and now it’s working... no idea why it shut down but hoping it’ll be ok. Only thing I can think is perhaps some polyfill found its way in? Didn’t see any come out when I cleaned it though.

Prob looking at a reset on my cycle, which sucks! May add another piece of rubble from my main tank to help it along.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, pricewayne said:

I had an AC filter that needed a little push to get the impeller going once I plugged it. I would plug it in, then use a stick to tap the impeller blades :lol: Probably not the best or safest method, but it worked for me

• Haha 3

Hello from Australia!

I have been stalking this forum for the last 9 years and I finally got over my laziness to sign up.

I would love to join this competition even though I am a little late, however I do have some questions.

- Would a 12"x7"x10" (LxWxH) tank be acceptable?

- Are Wavemakers allowed?

- If I am late to receive my aquarium due to shipping, can I still begin after the 30th of April, or is this a strict cut off date? I could begin my journal now with a list of equipment.

Thanks and good luck to all!

• Like 3
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12" x 6" x 8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.

• Max variance of 2" is allowed in two dimensions only. Minor variations in dimensions are fine.
  • Rimless tanks are allowed as long as their dimensions fall within the allowed range.
  • Custom built tanks should adhere to the standard rectangular 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.
  • In the spirit of fair competition, please stay as close to these tank dimensions as reasonably possible.

Zonatie please review the allowed dimensions. Looks like it would be allowed. 12" x 7" x 10"

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Zonatie please review the allowed dimensions. Looks like it would be allowed. 12" x 7" x 10"

Cool, I just wasn't sure If it was a combined 2" variation or a 2" variation each dimension.

I also wasn't sure if it was LxWxH or LxHxW.

7 minutes ago, Zonatie said:

Cool, I just wasn't sure If it was a combined 2" variation or a 2" variation each dimension.

I also wasn't sure if it was LxWxH or LxHxW.

It's only 2" in 2 dimensions, also. Still seems like it would qualify.

1 minute ago, Zonatie said:

2" variation for two of the dimensions?

Max variance of 2" is allowed in 

two dimensions only. Minor variations in dimensions are fine.

not sure how to state it more clearly.

54 minutes ago, Zonatie said:

If I am late to receive my aquarium due to shipping, can I still begin after the 30th of April, or is this a strict cut off date? I could begin my journal now with a list of equipment.

It was intended as a strict cut off.  I can't rule on this, but I imagine that it might still be alright if you started your journal entry prior to the cutoff.  @Christopher Marks, what do you say?

Christopher Marks
3 hours ago, Zonatie said:

Hello from Australia!

I have been stalking this forum for the last 9 years and I finally got over my laziness to sign up.

I would love to join this competition even though I am a little late, however I do have some questions.

- Would a 12"x7"x10" (LxWxH) tank be acceptable?

- Are Wavemakers allowed?

- If I am late to receive my aquarium due to shipping, can I still begin after the 30th of April, or is this a strict cut off date? I could begin my journal now with a list of equipment.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Welcome to the community @Zonatie, glad you signed up!

The 30th is indeed our cutoff for entry into the competition, although you are in Australia so technically it's still the 30th on the US west coast on May 1st in Australia 😉. Are you really worried it won't arrive in time? If it's just a day or two we might be able to find a reasonable way to accommodate you.

• Like 5
Justin_Luke

I am officially entering the competition! Grad school and work has slowed me down a bit, but i'm very excited to be part of this! Check out my post where I briefly detail my setup! 

20190418_215939.thumb.jpg.6468754066859b39d72ec78544bd139f.jpgIMG_6136.thumb.JPG.15f29a410ef3f76ecb61a55510b87c08.JPGIMG_6137.thumb.JPG.dcf86f951686cbb357eaf2766c764ceb.JPG

• Like 6
Justin_Luke
3 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

sweet scape!

Thanks! i think it might bring a bit of a challenge when it comes to stocking, but its a concept ive been wanting to try for a while 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @Zonatie, glad you signed up!

The 30th is indeed our cutoff for entry into the competition, although you are in Australia so technically it's still the 30th on the US west coast on May 1st in Australia 😉. Are you really worried it won't arrive in time? If it's just a day or two we might be able to find a reasonable way to accommodate you.

I'll try my best to get one before hand.

• Like 1
Harkins Aquatics

Ok so I just saw this on Instagram yesterday. Had a hard time finding the standard tank so I was looking around and found a tank that is a peninsula style tank with a semicircle on the end. Measures 11.3x6.2x9.5 

I think it qualifies and plan on using an old fluvel 20 I have. 

I'm pretty close on all the dimensions but understand if it dosen't qualify.

20190421_222129.jpg

1 hour ago, Harkins Aquatics said:

Ok so I just saw this on Instagram yesterday. Had a hard time finding the standard tank so I was looking around and found a tank that is a peninsula style tank with a semicircle on the end. Measures 11.3x6.2x9.5 

I think it qualifies and plan on using an old fluvel 20 I have. 

I'm pretty close on all the dimensions but understand if it dosen't qualify.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

It is a contest for a standard rectangular tanks; although CM reluctantly agreed to a bow front.  Seems vaguely similar, but the dimensions seem to qualify.  @Christopher Marks, thoughts?

Derek Claxton
On 3/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Old School Pico Reef

Started my build Saturday. Painted the tank yesterday when the weather broke a bit. Here's my build thread 

This should be FUN!

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic