SaltCritters.com

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

mariahranch

Decided to enter the contest! I’ve never participated in anything like this before so it will be a true adventure.

Here’s my build thread, awaiting my actual tank to arrive:

“Old school can be so cool” pico contest entry

I also wanted to know if it would be allowed to have a second entry? I’d like to do another tank all with leftover parts from my freshwater days over 10 years ago. Please let me know 😀

Second “it must be free” secret tank:

• Like 5
On 3/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, hotdrop said:

Might be fun can we limit it to frags only? It’s kind of lame to have people shove a couple hundred dollars of mature coral and rock into a pico and show off a gorgeous reef. A big part of the challenge should be to grow out the pico not just decorate it. 

Agreed...one of the most irritating things in the hobby is seeing someone with a brand new tank full of already-matured coral heads calling it "new".  

"If you say so..." 🙄

40 minutes ago, mariahranch said:

Decided to enter the contest! I’ve never participated in anything like this before so it will be a true adventure.

Here’s my build thread, awaiting my actual tank to arrive:

“Old school can be so cool” pico contest entry

I also wanted to know if it would be allowed to have a second entry? I’d like to do another tank all with leftover parts from my freshwater days over 10 years ago. Please let me know 😀

Sounds like the newly registered rariahmanch is entering. 

3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Agreed...one of the most irritating things in the hobby is seeing someone with a brand new tank full of already-matured coral heads calling it "new".  

"If you say so..." 🙄

+1

4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

"If you say so..." 🙄

I mean, it's too late now. The rules have no stipulations on corals. 

Everyone has to produce a monthly tank shot. So you'll be able to see someone's progress and if they have nothing in the tank for 6 months and decide to stock it at the end, then you'll know. Then just don't vote for them at the end. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

One stocking issue I see is somethings just dont multiply really fast......yes some zoas can go nuts in a small amount of time. But other things not so much.......

• Like 1

Anyone know how to shorten the extension tube on the aquaclear filters?

I already cut the U tube and still the extension is too long, I'd prefer it mid tank.

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I already cut the U tube and still the extension is too long, I'd prefer it mid tank.

You can use flex tubing internally to sleeve it, or cut just below the wider part on the bottom, cut the bottom shorter, then use the wider "ring" to reglue around where you need it.

60u22rO.jpg

• Like 4
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, MetaTank said:

I'm going to hoard them till I find some project for them. Might try a freshwater planted shrimp tank or something. I have 2 JBJ Picotopes that are like 3 gallons each, I bet they would work well with these filters for a low flow project

That looks like the filter that came with the 3 gallon picotope. I still have one tank and filter. Emergency QT tank.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

6 hours ago, asting said:

You can use flex tubing internally to sleeve it, or cut just below the wider part on the bottom, cut the bottom shorter, then use the wider "ring" to reglue around where you need it.

60u22rO.jpg

Just what was said above ^^^^^

I cut mine and re glued it with ICE Gel. Worked out well. I just cut mine with a utility knife. Just be careful.............

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, asting said:

60u22rO.jpg

Thank you!

I have been trying to figure out how I could do it and drawing blanks.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, asting said:

Damnit. I just spent $130 at liveaquaria. Why you do this to me?

no, not doing it. Holding off until it's needed.

Listen, I THOUGHT I got a good deal for one on eBay for $29, then I found the one for $24 on BRS, so I wasted 5 bucks there, if it makes you feel better. Just trying to share the BETTER deal that I wish I coulda taken advantage of...lol omgomgomg

And because of YOU @asting, I'm thinking about one of those 20 gallon Cubeys :haha:

On 4/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, debbeach13 said:

That looks like the filter that came with the 3 gallon picotope. I still have one tank and filter. Emergency QT tank.

Funny enough, I set one up (on a plastiv water with the top cut off...lol) and they are a little beefier than the filters that came with the Pictopes if I remember correctly. I really am pleased with the build quality on them

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wendy said:

This is going to be great & I want to be a part of it!

20190406_211339.thumb.jpg.24d473f00945c596f5e18721df7a360e.jpg

Welcome! Glad to have another tank to follow along!!! 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic