Cultivated Reef

Bio balls and ceramic discs?

willi

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the right thing to do. I am getting a jbj nano cube and have heard a lot of contradicting materials about the bio balls and ceramic discs. I have searched the site but am still very confused on the subject. If anyone has any suggestions about whether or not to take them out I would really appreciate to read them.

the nanocube instructions instruct you to remove them. you can search nanocube and bioballs, etc. and see a lot of info. some keep them in and wash them religiously. best of luck

If I took the bio balls out, how would I go about making a fuge type system back there. Do I need a light for the filter area or does it get enough from the stock lights, what other materials would be needed. I can't seem to find any instructions and I've searched and read articles for hours.

i'll assume you want a nanoreef and not a nano fowlr. the bioballs and ceramic disk would eventually be your biological filtration, but can cause problems with a nano because the nitrates don't get processed. lr is your source of biological filtration, so therefore the bioballs and disk should be removed. washing bioballs just seems to inconvienient. i don't see frequent washing happening. if you just keep lr in the back, it doesn't need light. if you put in macro algae to export nutrients, you may need supplimental lighting. hth

to tag on, supplemental lighting seems to be needed. macros don't seem to get enough light back in that area with the stock light (I and others have tried.) I've followed EtOH's info and have live rock rubble in area3. Area 1 is a sponge that holds up a square piece of poly I use to filter out larger particles. Heater and pump (mini-jet 606) are in area 4. I'm allllmoost done with the Under the Radar design for a skimmer that will fit under the lid of the cube (see the DIY section). best of luck, je

Archived