Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Understanding PAR Values With Different Tank Sizes

Friendly

I'm looking for help to understand light wattage and PAR values and apply them against the 12 gallon long and 22 gallon long with the intent to eventually keep something like a clam that needs lots of light.

are there rules of thumb to use for calculating PAR values at different depths depending on the wattage of the light being used...or is it more complicated than that? a 12 gallon long is 8" deep while a 22 gallon long is 12" deep, so what will work for the 12 gallon will not work for the 22 gallon.

I'm interested in getting the LOOP Marine kit from Current USA, but their model recommendation is based on tank length and since the two are 36" long, I'm suspicious that it may not be good for a 22 gallon. however, if it is strong enough to allow me to have high light livestock, that's good news, as it means I just have to dial it down for the 12 gallon.

my questions/concerns clear as mud?  :blush:

Yes but not enough really. There's not a substantial loss of light from the water versus air at the depths out tanks typically are.

The most obvious way water effects light is the shimmer effect from surface tension and that isnt a big deal.

• Thanks 1

Its both actually.

For lamp type its Parabolic Aluminized Reflector.

But it also means Photosynthetically Active Radiation. Currently the best metric for intensity of a light source for our needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

Higher wattage fixtures do tend to have a higher par output than lower wattage fixtures of similar design. However higher efficiency leds can have drastically different outputs with the same wattage as cheaper made leds.

• Like 1