Cultivated Reef

Tank Questions

LyricalPistol

LyricalPistol

So, can you have a tank without coral? Or do all nano-reef tanks need coral to function? And if I don't have coral, do you still need actinic lights for the fish? I am trying to process all the info I am finding but some of it is a little confusing. And there are a LOT of different types of lighting for reefs. Some of them don't specifically say that they are for saltwater or not and I don't know what types to check out. Help? lol

• Like 1

You ca have a tank without coral. They call them FOWLR tanks(Fish only with live rock). Personally I just don't think they look as cool. You don't need any special lighting for fish. I would watch a lot of youtube videos on saltwater tanks and ask yourself a few questions. 

What kind of fish do I want- different fish need more or less space. 

What size tank do you have space for

What's your budget

Do you have a LFS (local fish store) near you- you could ask them for advice. 

beware LFS advise...a lot of it is crazy talk. double check the advise given...if it turns out to be accurate, you're lucky, as many LFS are only about selling, not caring about anything more.

how come you're thinking of a SW with no coral's? that's half the reason to have a SW tank in the first place!  :D

LyricalPistol
3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

beware LFS advise...a lot of it is crazy talk. double check the advise given...if it turns out to be accurate, you're lucky, as many LFS are only about selling, not caring about anything more.

how come you're thinking of a SW with no coral's? that's half the reason to have a SW tank in the first place!  😄

I don't wanna sound dumb... but what does LFS stand for? And im just overwhelmed with the lighting honestly. Its confusing to me. I read the beginners forum about the basics for a tank and it said "quality lights" but what are quality lights? I am trying to set up a 10gal tank and there are millions of different kinds of lights and some are too big, others are small but I don't know if they would work well enough, some have actinic lighting, others don't but SAY that they are good for SW tanks but don't specifically mention corals. Then there are florescent lights but I don't know what kind of ballast they would plug into because they don't look like any ballast I've ever seen... and when I try to research it, it just gives me parts and I have no idea what to do with that. sorry.... I just kind of unloaded there.

LyricalPistol
8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

how come you're thinking of a SW with no coral's? that's half the reason to have a SW tank in the first place!  😄

nevermind… I just saw LFS in the previous post lol

hey LP, most lights that come with kits suck...they don't have the intensity needed for keeping coral happy.

that said, quality lights don't have to cost a lot, though you can spend some serious coin.

if you don't have your tank already, you might want to consider getting something like the Fluval Evo 13.5. it light does need to be replaced eventually, but it's fine to start. and you'd want to get the inTank media basket for it as well.

all that said though...continue reading all the stickies and such in the different forums and feel free to ask questions!

LyricalPistol
9 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey LP, most lights that come with kits suck...they don't have the intensity needed for keeping coral happy.

that said, quality lights don't have to cost a lot, though you can spend some serious coin.

if you don't have your tank already, you might want to consider getting something like the Fluval Evo 13.5. it light does need to be replaced eventually, but it's fine to start. and you'd want to get the inTank media basket for it as well.

all that said though...continue reading all the stickies and such in the different forums and feel free to ask questions!

can we be friends? you can be my reef mentor lol if you want. I was reading that its good to find someone that you feel like you can talk to and ask questions with and model things after. 

• Like 1
LyricalPistol
12 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I already have a 10gal tank. I am gathering supplies slowly. I have the tank, a glass top lid coming in the mail, and a filter so far. Everything else im scared to get because I don't wanna buy the wrong stuff. and im trying to research so I don't screw it up

• Like 1

LP...you're gonna laugh...but all my knowledge is laymen...I haven't ever had a tank. I joined up here when I wanted to set one up, but got distracted when I met my  now wife and have come back recently to get up to speed again, so I can set up a tank. however, cause I know the pain of learning about the equipment and all the options out there and suffering from the confusion of what to do and where to go, I can give some info to help out. I'm a helper by nature...so it's what I like to do, LoL!

what equipment do you have, or are you starting from scratch? if from scratch, what is your budget?  :D 

2 minutes ago, LyricalPistol said:

I already have a 10gal tank. I am gathering supplies slowly. I have the tank, a glass top lid coming in the mail, and a filter so far. Everything else im scared to get because I don't wanna buy the wrong stuff. and im trying to research so I don't screw it up

what tank and what filter?

this means you still need a heater and lighting, amongst other odd's n ends.

LyricalPistol
2 minutes ago, Friendly said:

LP...you're gonna laugh...but all my knowledge is laymen...I haven't ever had a tank. I joined up here when I wanted to set one up, but got distracted when I met my  now wife and have come back recently to get up to speed again, so I can set up a tank. however, cause I know the pain of learning about the equipment and all the options out there and suffering from the confusion of what to do and where to go, I can give some info to help out. I'm a helper by nature...so it's what I like to do, LoL!

what equipment do you have, or are you starting from scratch? if from scratch, what is your budget?  😄

what tank and what filter?

this means you still need a heater and lighting, amongst other odd's n ends.

so I have just a basic 10gal tank. I used to use it for my snake but she outgrew it. it isn't rimless, so some of the stuff I am finding wont fit it. I was at Petco the other day and bought an aqueon filter for 20gal and under and it says that its good for both fresh and saltwater tanks. it also has filter cartridges that I can change out to help with nitrites and biowaste and all that stuff. I don't particularly have a budget set aside, but I kinda don't wanna spend 200-300 dollars on lights either. especially for a small tank. 

• Like 1

hey LP, if you can return the filter, I recommend you do...then get yourself an AquaClear 50. that way you can grab an inTank media basket for it and customize what you use for the filter media.

that said, first thing I recommend is testing the tank to ensure it doesn't have any leaks. that way we know 100% you can use it. do this outside on a flat surface or beside your kitchen sink. if you do it in the kitchen, it has to sit there for a day or two.

how DIY are you? lots of lighting options if you're DIY inclined...

LyricalPistol
5 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey LP, if you can return the filter, I recommend you do...then get yourself an AquaClear 50. that way you can grab an inTank media basket for it and customize what you use for the filter media.

that said, first thing I recommend is testing the tank to ensure it doesn't have any leaks. that way we know 100% you can use it. do this outside on a flat surface or beside your kitchen sink. if you do it in the kitchen, it has to sit there for a day or two.

how DIY are you? lots of lighting options if you're DIY inclined...

wouldn't that filter be too big for my little tank? and I am usually pretty good with DIY but electrical scares me.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

:welcome: to nano-reef

I have one thing I wanted to mention; you said you had a snake in it.. Make sure you clean the tank really well with water and vinegar. Also do you remember when you got that tank if it was specifically for reptiles? Reason I ask is they have tanks for reptiles that you can't fill with water because of how they do the seams and if you try and fill it, you could end up having a blow out. On the bottom of the tank there will usually be a warning saying not for fish or something around those lines.

Make sure you check that first.

Anyway keep on reading and asking questions

LyricalPistol
13 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

:welcome: to nano-reef

I have one thing I wanted to mention; you said you had a snake in it.. Make sure you clean the tank really well with water and vinegar. Also do you remember when you got that tank if it was specifically for reptiles? Reason I ask is they have tanks for reptiles that you can't fill with water because of how they do the seams and if you try and fill it, you could end up having a blow out. On the bottom of the tank there will usually be a warning saying not for fish or something around those lines.

Make sure you check that first.

Anyway keep on reading and asking questions

im glad you mentioned that... it was a tank from a reptile kit. I didn't think it would matter honestly... im glad you told me. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, LyricalPistol said:

im glad you mentioned that... it was a tank from a reptile kit. I didn't think it would matter honestly... im glad you told me. 

Oh you're welcome. I'm glad I could help. I almost did that one time and as I was filling the tank, noticed a warning on it that said DO NOT FILL WITH WATER...

9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh you're welcome. I'm glad I could help. I almost did that one time and as I was filling the tank, noticed a warning on it that said DO NOT FILL WITH WATER...

that's what was at the back of my mind when I said you should test if it was water worthy. unfortunately I didn't know some tanks are marked not to fill with water...so I learned more too!

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Friendly said:

that's what was at the back of my mind when I said you should test if it was water worthy. unfortunately I didn't know some tanks are marked not to fill with water...so I learned more too!

yeah I have an extra tank, I thought I was going to have to set up a qt tank, so I grabbed the spare tank, cleaned it out and while I was filling it noticed a warning label. I looked and was like man I'm glad I saw that lol.

Thrassian Atoll

As mentioned if you can swing it, I really recommend an all in one tank like the fluval.  It has everything you need already besides a heater I beleive.  You can upgrade stuff later if you feel like getting corals.  Grab some live rock and sand, a test kit.  Figure out how your going to make salt water.  It’s going to be the easiest route to go.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, TILTON said:

As mentioned if you can swing it, I really recommend an all in one tank like the fluval.  It has everything you need already besides a heater I beleive.  You can upgrade stuff later if you feel like getting corals.  Grab some live rock and sand, a test kit.  Figure out how your going to make salt water.  It’s going to be the easiest route to go.

I like this...cause then you can turn the 10 gallon into a quarantine* back up tank, which is more important to have than most aquarists give credit for.

*assuming it is a water safe reptile tank...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LyricalPistol said:

So, can you have a tank without coral? Or do all nano-reef tanks need coral to function? And if I don't have coral, do you still need actinic lights for the fish? I am trying to process all the info I am finding but some of it is a little confusing. And there are a LOT of different types of lighting for reefs. Some of them don't specifically say that they are for saltwater or not and I don't know what types to check out. Help? lol

If you have a tank without coral it is a fish only tank. Fish need no special lighting. 

You can have a fish only tank, you can do macro tanks, coral tanks, anemone tanks, non photosynthetic coral tanks.

How they are run and cared for will all be different.

Here are some abbreviations that will help

FO- no liverock, just fish, will need other biological filter methods

FOWLR- fish only with liverock