inTank Media Baskets

Decorator crab

CD_Scapes

ReefCleaners carries small decorator crabs that would probably be appropriate in a tank that size: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/decorator-crab-small

I've also seen larger and smaller ones up there from time to time, but in a 5g I'd just stick with the 1" size I think. Decorator crabs are peaceful, but be advised that they will pluck pieces off of algae, sponges, and other sessile inverts and use them to decorate themselves. They need to "redecorate" every time they molt, so this behavior is not a one-time thing.

Other than that I think they are pretty cool though. Could make a neat inhabitant for a pico reef.

Just now, billygoat said:

ReefCleaners carries small decorator crabs that would probably be appropriate in a tank that size: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/decorator-crab-small

I've also seen larger and smaller ones up there from time to time, but in a 5g I'd just stick with the 1" size I think. Decorator crabs are peaceful, but be advised that they will pluck pieces off of algae, sponges, and other sessile inverts and use them to decorate themselves. They need to "redecorate" every time they molt, so this behavior is not a one-time thing.

Other than that I think they are pretty cool though. Could make a neat inhabitant for a pico reef.

Alright! I will more than likely do the reefcleaner mini decorator crab (maybe even a couple). The tank is going to be lots of different “trash or pest” soft corals so I won’t mind losing a few pieces. The other question is can hermits or shrimp live with them? 

Hermits and shrimp should be able to live together with decorator crabs peacefully as long as there isn't a significant size difference between them. Emerald crabs might beat them up though.

41 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Hermits and shrimp should be able to live together with decorator crabs peacefully as long as there isn't a significant size difference between them. Emerald crabs might beat them up though.

Okay, the tank stocking is set then