Innovative Marine Aquariums

This guy is extra salty

So I’m participating in the contest and I’m deciding to build EVERYTHING from scratch well except the acrylic which will be pulled from the scrap bin

(my ole lady said,”You can participate if you don’t spend any money.”)

Aka

“TEAM BUDGET”

Final FTS 10/31/19

E7878BAA-D7F9-485D-A9A9-742EA1CD964E.thumb.jpeg.7c0399652ff97460f0033d3a5c931a99.jpeg

Proposed equipment:

1-12x6x8 (2.5 gallon tank)

1-8x3x4 hob filter(acrylic) (didn’t work as planned)

1-160gph pump(for HOB Filter) 20$ (😭)

1-2.5x7.5 surface skimmer(acrylic)

1-AI prime HD w/mount

1- custom stand (for AI prime hd)

1-controller board (I’m debating this)

1-50w heater

1- hydor nano 240gph wave maker (too much flow)

1-90gph pump

1-Hydor water deflector

1-6ft water proof warm white led string (didn’t need it)

1-24hr timer

1- 🎁 auto aqua smart ATO/AWC (g

1- 🎁 Brightwell Aquatics Xport mini cubes (Gift)

2- 🎁 VCA random flow generators 

Total spent:

-20$ I didn’t even need it 😭

Livestock:

candycane pistol shrimp (pew 🔫 pew) moved to 160g

♾Bristle worms (who’s counting?)

4-cerith snails 

4-astrea snails

4-trochus snails

♾majano anemones

♾aiptasia anemones 

Coral list:

compliments of Corallivore Corals

jedi mindtrick montipora (1 polyp is holding on)

mystic sunset montipora  didn’t make it

Blue discosoma

Teal discosoma 

blue spot discosoma

orange ricordia 

rainbow ricordia

reverse rainbow ricordia 

kedds red zoanthid 

rasta zoanthid 

eagle eye zoanthid 

nuclear waste zoanthid

bam bam zoanthid

rainbow infusion zoanthid

armor of god zoanthid

green finger leather 

Brown toadstool

GSP

blue clove polyp

green Ricordia

pink moon zoanthid 

BOP stylo Didn’t make it 

gorilla nipple zoanthid 

Pulsing xenia 

cove polyps 

cespitularia  out grew the tank moved to 160

purple hammer  moved to 160

macro algae 

dragons burp( compliments of @inland_reef)

bubble algae

GHA (it’s finally dying! 10/2/19)

The beginning picture “4/2/19” with dehydrated apple rings and cuppy cakes 

251AF929-ED6B-48B5-A3DA-DF20877BBE96.thumb.jpeg.e8f25e4d1cd67e117f4451df3dfd2d3d.jpeg

Here is a shot of it empty 

8D6138F7-9F43-40E3-9052-8C085CB0E5EF.thumb.jpeg.c663101abfab3802c70a1d7bd25924dd.jpeg

• Like 7
This guy is extra salty

As per contest rules I was unable to use my original design cause of the internal filter not being allowedE1E6D227-FE72-4461-96A0-E1C19C09AFC5.thumb.jpeg.8c11f9aa94ee8ef5fa326e5377a383c3.jpeg

here was the concept of a undergravel filter with surface skimmer mods

but I’m in going to have to delete one of the skimmer stacks and the yellow gravel filter to abide by the rules 

I was going to start the cutting process last Friday(3/15) but one of my coworkers wasn’t paying attention to the vytek laser and caught it on fire 🔥 C737EAB4-BDCE-479C-B1F8-C5885BD80647.thumb.jpeg.590ffb676bb42db0a0840de32987e183.jpegD3AE5890-350D-494A-9163-BF24A608177B.thumb.jpeg.8730efc1210d23b558a3b99b5df81691.jpeg

i had to save the day with a fire extinguisher 🧯 since they were trying to smother a fueled fire by swatting it with precut sheets of acrylic. (Which looking back on it, it was hilarious cause the ends were on fire too)

So now this week I had/have to redraw  my design to follow rules that were finally dropped today.

also since I have to “leak test” the tank prior to filling and livestock@Christopher Marks will I be disqualified cause it was “wet” prior to contest starting?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 2
A Little Blue
7 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

As per contest rules I was unable to use my original design cause of the internal filter not being allowedE1E6D227-FE72-4461-96A0-E1C19C09AFC5.thumb.jpeg.8c11f9aa94ee8ef5fa326e5377a383c3.jpeg

here was the concept of a undergravel filter with surface skimmer mods

but I’m in going to have to delete one of the skimmer stacks and the yellow gravel filter to abide by the rules 

I was going to start the cutting process last Friday(3/15) but one of my coworkers wasn’t paying attention to the vytek laser and caught it on fire 🔥 C737EAB4-BDCE-479C-B1F8-C5885BD80647.thumb.jpeg.590ffb676bb42db0a0840de32987e183.jpegD3AE5890-350D-494A-9163-BF24A608177B.thumb.jpeg.8730efc1210d23b558a3b99b5df81691.jpeg

i had to save the day with a fire extinguisher 🧯 since they were trying to smother a fueled fire by swatting it with precut sheets of acrylic. (Which looking back on it, it was hilarious cause the ends were on fire too)

So now this week I had/have to redraw  my design to follow rules that were finally dropped today.

also since I have to “leak test” the tank prior to filling and livestock@Christopher Marks will I be disqualified cause it was “wet” prior to contest starting?

I got exited....... for a moment, till you said   “I......have...... to..... follow the rules”. 🤣

You better come up with something cool. 

I was looking forward to this.😞

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

Well this is what I came up with 

I find it very offensive and annoying the HOB im making is quite difficult 😤

5F43E07F-2565-48D2-B63A-4BD49CE2E48B.thumb.jpeg.3f05b14fbf15f6aa27a2fd261bb93910.jpeg

@jbb_00 this is my kind of janky 😂 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Well this is what I came up with 

I find it very offensive and annoying the HOB im making is quite difficult 😤

5F43E07F-2565-48D2-B63A-4BD49CE2E48B.thumb.jpeg.3f05b14fbf15f6aa27a2fd261bb93910.jpeg

@jbb_00 this is my kind of janky 😂 

Extra points for making it resemble a toilet... Albeit, an uncomfortable looking terlitt.

• Haha 4
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, MetaTank said:

Extra points for making it resemble a toilet... Albeit, an uncomfortable looking terlitt.

🤣 Lmao 

I didn’t realize until you said something!!

If I kept it like that and I went through the “ugly stage” It will look like little floating 💩 

• Haha 6
3 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

🤣 Lmao 

I didn’t realize until you said something!!

If I kept it like that and I went through the “ugly stage” It will look like little floating 💩 

But...you see it now, and you can't un-see it. LOL

• Thanks 1

• No all-in-one inserts (AIO) or any dividing walls

the revised design still looks like dividing walls, i don't know. still intersted to see what you can do.

This guy is extra salty
24 minutes ago, asting said:

Not an AIO it’s a surface skimmer which is allowed per contest rules😜

ChristopherDido

Oh this should be good! Looking forward to following this one. Looks like I got permission to join this contest, I'm off to the store tomorrow, See you on the other side! 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

Oh this should be good! Looking forward to following this one. Looks like I got permission to join this contest, I'm off to the store tomorrow, See you on the other side! 

Yeah, this is gonna be a neat build for sure

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
58 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

That is awesome! 😎 glad you’re joining

the more the merrier

57 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Yeah, this is gonna be a neat build for sure

I think it will be challenging..

Most of my time is going towards aquascape. Now I have to dig into my sumps to pull out some live rock..

12 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That is awesome! 😎 glad you’re joining

the more the merrier

I think it will be challenging..

Most of my time is going towards aquascape. Now I have to dig into my sumps to pull out some live rock..

I happened to run in to an old buddy the other day, and he works in one of the premium coral suppliers in SoCal... He tossed me some rock, and one is colonized with Zoas already, they grew off a frag plug, so interested to see what they are assuming they survive the bucket for the next week...lol

This guy is extra salty
14 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I happened to run in to an old buddy the other day, and he works in one of the premium coral suppliers in SoCal... He tossed me some rock, and one is colonized with Zoas already, they grew off a frag plug, so interested to see what they are assuming they survive the bucket for the next week...lol

Very nice! Zoanthinds are quite hardy is it being heated and a pump in the bucket they should be fine

27 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Very nice! Zoanthinds are quite hardy is it being heated and a pump in the bucket they should be fine

Yep, I got rocks just hanging out. I have rock from 2 sources, so I have them in 2 buckets, 2 heaters, 2 powerheads, 2 thermometers...lol

This guy is extra salty

Very nice! I’m a little jealous 😝 

i wonder if I build a surface skimmer on the outside of the tank it would be allowed... in trying it limit the “intrusion” in the tank.. especially since the viewing platform has to be “12x8” stupid rectangular box I really wanted a peninsula 

Just now, This guy is extra salty said:

Very nice! I’m a little jealous 😝 

i wonder if I build a surface skimmer on the outside of the tank it would be allowed... in trying it limit the “intrusion” in the tank.. especially since the viewing platform has to be “12x8” stupid rectangular box I really wanted a peninsula 

I'm assuming the intake tube of the HOB has to go into the skimmer MOD. How would that even work, an exterior surface skimmer? 

This guy is extra salty
5 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I'm assuming the intake tube of the HOB has to go into the skimmer MOD. How would that even work, an exterior surface skimmer? 

I had to PM my secret weapon 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Here is a sneak peek of my back panel 

im testing for looks(no spoilers)

EC960CB7-B6AB-4C62-979F-23E300B30F90.jpeg

Hey bud, I been busy too, got out a mitre saw for the first time in years, lol...

looking good bro!