Innovative Marine Aquariums

It's so hard for me to leave stuff alone, I was staring at my tank today and was just thinking hmmmm maybe I should swap rocks out and change up the scape....must....not....touch. Tank is looking good

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
Just now, ksadam said:

It's so hard for me to leave stuff alone, I was staring at my tank today and was just thinking hmmmm maybe I should swap rocks out and change up the scape....must....not....touch. Tank is looking good

Yes that is the key to it just let it be!

im debating on making my AWC in a daily basis kind of like a set and forget type deal. Unfortunately it will have to coincide with a timer for the HOB filter. I don’t like bubbles in the tank 😝 

I like the set it and forget it approach. Going to try that with auto feeders (turn off pumps during feed). I really like those smart outlets for timing.

hey can i ask an off topic question? I've got an RODI filter i've had for 2 years, and honestly it's probably made 100-120 gallons in that time. added a TDS meter, showing 120 going into the RODI, 0-1TDS coming out. My brute can shows 1-2 on the handheld, but i've been dipping (going to put valves in this week).

Any reason to throw in new filters? i'm thinking no, but want to get systems in place for a big tank in the next few months.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, asting said:

hey can i ask an off topic question? I've got an RODI filter i've had for 2 years, and honestly it's probably made 100-120 gallons in that time. added a TDS meter, showing 120 going into the RODI, 0-1TDS coming out. My brute can shows 1-2 on the handheld, but i've been dipping (going to put valves in this week).

Any reason to throw in new filters? i'm thinking no, but want to get systems in place for a big tank in the next few months.

I change out all my RODI filters and resins every six months, you can never be too careful. Especially when you have invested a lot into your tanks. Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

Whats your experience been like with the Brightwell cubes? Some folks have some real mixed views on the No3 Cubes, I think it was on R2R, personally mine are kind of disintegrating so I'm slowly taking them out (added 200g worth of matrix and their NO3out media to a near-deadzone >_>)

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
8 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

What's your experience been like with the Brightwell cubes? Some folks have some real mixed views on the No3 Cubes, I think it was on R2R, personally mine are kind of disintegrating so I'm slowly taking them out (added 200g worth of matrix and their NO3out media to a near-deadzone >_>)

I have never had any issues with Brightwell Aquatics, yes they did have a bad batch that has since been corrected that was the “NO3 brick” I strictly use the “xport bio” no additives I use all of their products in my tanks with great success 

i had marine pure in my systems which leeched aluminum and caused me to shut down my reef and start over. I will never purchase marine pure nor recommend it to anyone 

if you have some disintegrating contact brightwell immediately they will take care of you. Great customer service.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty

Quick update and a mess up !

im trying to troubleshoot the AWC.. 

AA2A9FA0-20F0-4EE2-B40B-1CCE99A79E0D.thumb.jpeg.13fea1eefd211611dda913ed7c4f80d8.jpeg

it was very easy to setup especially since my “fresh” and “waste” water are going into my 160 sumpE3055D43-29EE-4CFC-A406-8FF61D60C0E4.thumb.jpeg.7751266c1e81b6e63ad2ad0c3a9d1edb.jpeg

i even made a pump rack for the drain pump. Deciding on where to put it3E8CC1F9-61C3-47F6-A8EF-F90C5EE47738.thumb.jpeg.b3f472706cc09b82b5d2d6fca00e740b.jpeg

Ok everything is good and setup correctly I have it set to change the water at 8pm every day. Unfortunately I have to let the HOB run dry cause that’s where the ATO sensor is.. (I’m debating on putting it on a timer and drilling a hole in the surface skimmer plate)  the thing is a game changer seriously if you have the coin and despise WC

GET IT! 

So as I was putting together an ato I messed up the lid part (I miss calculated where the ato output line should go) I’m off by a 1/4 inch 🤦‍♂️

12AC410E-EEA2-45F9-B57D-3E49A95A14F7.thumb.jpeg.cbad02232638fa98bd5e092423581099.jpeg

CC6F7FA1-779E-40CF-9905-405577185303.thumb.jpeg.f3e9dd7f4a800f90a9bc341dad8d3984.jpeg

Gotta make another one unfortunately lol

Here it is under blues

F82A9787-C5E0-4EE0-8BC9-E40E0A72441F.jpeg

4E2092CD-E874-4A8A-B9E0-FF6C60DD3D79.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
This guy is extra salty

So funny story I was out and about with the ole lady today cause she wanted to get a new fish for the 160  and we ran into @ChristopherDido! It was nice being able to put a name with a face. 

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

This tank is so cool!!  My favourite part is the Dino :tongueout:

Thanks 🙏 I’m making green ones next week

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
ChristopherDido
1 minute ago, This guy is extra salty said:

So funny story I was out and about with the ole lady today cause she wanted to get a new fish for the 160  and we ran into @ChristopherDido! It was nice being able to put a name with a face. 

Thanks 🙏 I’m making green ones next week

Seriously! Small world and nice to put a face to the name too! Congrats on your little one he's cute, if you need any pointers from that age I can try to help, I think I still remember everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, ChristopherDido said:

Seriously! Small world and nice to put a face to the name too! Congrats on your little one he's cute, if you need any pointers from that age I can try to help, I think I still remember everything.

🙏 thanks but all he does is eat and sleep 😂 hopefully it will last until he’s walking 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
This guy is extra salty

It is very nice when you get a pistol shrimp and it decides to live in the front corner of the tank so you can see him

E7B3CE4F-7B76-43A1-A22A-F9EE3C4467F6.thumb.jpeg.882495c6bfa271a7597c76a48beaa141.jpeg

so i added a clean up crew of 4 cerith snails 🐌 

FTS: May the 4th be with you311EF3C0-A0F4-4009-8763-AF95A5E2DA7C.thumb.jpeg.283b0310b93e1d5e2866b95d186c20e2.jpeg

967FE0DD-8252-49CB-A7A4-4ECB2ABAA9D9.jpeg

• Like 5
This guy is extra salty
Just now, Amphrites said:

Is that one of those rotating return pump water-deflectors or just a different angle on the powerhead?

Yes It is the hydor water deflector

• Like 1

I've got a whacky full-tank gyre going on and have been considering grabbing one of those for the return in order to make things a bit more random for my euphyllia, as it stands the interference between return and powerhead creates these cool kind of waves through the tank, but it's still almost entirely in one-direction and speed XD
How's their long-term reliability been in your experience?

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
23 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I've got a whacky full-tank gyre going on and have been considering grabbing one of those for the return in order to make things a bit more random for my euphyllia, as it stands the interference between return and powerhead creates these cool kind of waves through the tank, but it's still almost entirely in one-direction and speed XD
How's their long-term reliability been in your experience?

I have them running on my frag tanks for two years now. As long as you clean and maintain them (I do mine quarterly)

• Like 2

Oh, by the way, love the in-tank fuge/chato-reactor was thinking about doing something similar in my setup too, was amazed when I saw how few people had done it, looks awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
43 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Oh, by the way, love the in-tank fuge/chato-reactor was thinking about doing something similar in my setup too, was amazed when I saw how few people had done it, looks awesome!

Thanks 🙏

I made a few of them to test it out in multiple tanks. It’s more versatile than you think. Can be used as food defroster, pod hotel, refugium, seaweed clip, shroom box, anemone holder.

• Like 1

Yeah it seems like a really flexible setup, you've gone a bit more state-of-the-art, I was going to make an in-flow refuge/reactor out of thin scrap acrylic leftover from my ghetto-atoll-lid, probably open-top and just hang-on for the back-wall using janky, clear home-depot-clips lol. Three pieces glued together and a few holes, probably wouldn't look terrible, but wouldn't look quite as nice as what you've machined here haha.

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
13 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Yeah it seems like a really flexible setup, you've gone a bit more state-of-the-art, I was going to make an in-flow refuge/reactor out of thin scrap acrylic leftover from my ghetto-atoll-lid, probably open-top and just hang-on for the back-wall using janky, clear home-depot-clips lol. Three pieces glued together and a few holes, probably wouldn't look terrible, but wouldn't look quite as nice as what you've machined here haha.

Thanks 🙏 

I used a 15lb square magnet to attach to the tube

it works on 1/2in glass

im buying some more magnets that are rated to hold 30lbs for frag racks I’m making

• Like 1

I literally just finished using some plastic coated magnets as replacement frag plugs, gluing them directly onto the rockwork and the coral, so far so good. Small tank with a weird rock-scape, wanted to be able to pull the coral out to frag without having to worry about dragging rocks around or essentially tearing the whole tank down everytime. I think I went overboard with the strength of mine, since they're not having to work off their shear-force rating... well they're wayyyy too strong for just holding the coral in place. Even if my colonies get enormous they won't even come close to budging these buggers and they're only rated for "5 lbs", I have to hold my rockwork in place to ROTATE them, haven't tried pulling them off yet...
At this point I'm more concerned about the durability and security of the cyanoacrylate holding them... but I didn't have any putty and supposedly it ain't that hot a deal to begin with anyway soooo, hopefully no coral nose-dives <___>

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
On 5/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, Amphrites said:

I literally just finished using some plastic coated magnets as replacement frag plugs, gluing them directly onto the rockwork and the coral, so far so good. Small tank with a weird rock-scape, wanted to be able to pull the coral out to frag without having to worry about dragging rocks around or essentially tearing the whole tank down everytime. I think I went overboard with the strength of mine, since they're not having to work off their shear-force rating... well they're wayyyy too strong for just holding the coral in place. Even if my colonies get enormous they won't even come close to budging these buggers and they're only rated for "5 lbs", I have to hold my rockwork in place to ROTATE them, haven't tried pulling them off yet...
At this point I'm more concerned about the durability and security of the cyanoacrylate holding them... but I didn't have any putty and supposedly it ain't that hot a deal to begin with anyway soooo, hopefully no coral nose-dives <___>

I have thought about that but the thought of having a magnet I’m going to remember to check every time I do maintenance bothers me. I have a lot of SPS in my tanks and i don’t want the risk. Even though the magnets I purchased have a plastic coating, I box them In acrylic as a just in case. Mainly peace of mind

• Like 1

Yeah, fair enough, I'm pretty sure we probably got them from the same website lol... Whoever writes names on the boxes has impeccable handwriting =p Honestly the plastic coating seems fairly thick, and they're enamel coated under that too. Heck I even sanded the plastic a bit so the gorilla-glue would have better purchase. I may be playing hard-and-fast though, SW is rough stuff, that said I can't really think of anything particularly harmful small amounts of metal-leech from neodymium would really do to a tank either...

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
27 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Yeah, fair enough, I'm pretty sure we probably got them from the same website lol... Whoever writes names on the boxes has impeccable handwriting =p Honestly the plastic coating seems fairly thick, and they're enamel coated under that too. Heck I even sanded the plastic a bit so the gorilla-glue would have better purchase. I may be playing hard-and-fast though, SW is rough stuff, that said I can't really think of anything particularly harmful small amounts of metal-leech from neodymium would really do to a tank either...

I have had a Magnet rust and destroyed a couple thousand $ of SPS and coral..

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2