Coral Vue Hydros

This guy is extra salty

2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

This is a challenging aspect of a DIY HOB for sure. Hmm. What other idea did you have for plumbing the pump into the HOB filter, if you're able to share? Thanks for checking in with me!

Indeed it is cause I revealed option 1 having the pump on the end of the intake tube. Option2 having the pump mounted on the outside of the HOB side wall, so nothing will be at the end of the intake tube. Or option3 figure out water displacement put pump inside HOB box and make the whole thing bigger to accommodate pump and plumbing within the box. (Huge PITA) option 3 I have no way to maintenance the pump if it were to fail, because it would be welded into place.

Maybe the pump inside a box or below it attached like an aquaclear with a pipe running into the tank and having the HOB a separate entity not permanently attached to the tank seems like the safest route. Exactly like a hob but with cleaner lines/made out of acrylic.

Like the aquamaxx hob but smaller and more pizzazz!

AquaMaxx-HOB-R-Hang-On-Back-Refugium-97.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
38 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Maybe the pump inside a box or below it attached like an aquaclear with a pipe running into the tank and having the HOB a separate entity not permanently attached to the tank seems like the safest route. Exactly like a hob but with cleaner lines/made out of acrylic.

Like the aquamaxx hob but smaller and more pizzazz!

AquaMaxx-HOB-R-Hang-On-Back-Refugium-97.

Well option1 the pump is outside HOB attached to the beginning of the intake(where most have a screen or foam mesh) option2 would also be outside the hob but at the end of the intake next the the hob. 3 is just a PITA..

All three options will will make the HOB 1 complete unit. But 1and 2 will make it easier to maintenance..

worse case scenario  I will have to count the pump as my “wave maker or powerhead”

the hob will not be welded to the tank. Because that would make it a AIO

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Those unnecessary detours make me dizzy. No idea how you keep composure and sanity? Lol

But you haven't really talked about theme or direction this tank is taking or did you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Those unnecessary detours make me dizzy. No idea how you keep composure and sanity? Lol

But you haven't really talked about theme or direction this tank is taking or did you?

Eh, plenty of time for that. He's gotta make sure he has an entry first...lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Nooooooo, not this guy. My instinct tells me there are some beauties waiting on the frag-rack. Lol 

So, what's the master plan @This guy is extra salty?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Sanity has been gone for a long time..

very true it feels like one set back after another..

6 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Yes I have to have a competing tank entry first!!

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty

Also when I got home today I realized when I looked at tank v2.5 I forgot to machine the edges and all my welds are crazed. (The lines along the joints)

😭🤬😭

I’m sure it will hold water fine but it will irritate the crap out of me

6D05F59B-F6CD-49C8-9F1C-E151175DDE98.thumb.jpeg.f1a5e3cd22e505eb4b04dc9b5f47dd40.jpeg

(ole lady asks why did you make a POS? But the background is pretty!)

BTW..Im not going to reveal the back panel yet, hence the black scribbles

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Also when I got home today I realized when I looked at tank v2.5 I forgot to machine the edges and all my welds are crazed. (The lines along the joints)

😭🤬😭

I’m sure it will hold water fine but it will irritate the crap out of me

6D05F59B-F6CD-49C8-9F1C-E151175DDE98.thumb.jpeg.f1a5e3cd22e505eb4b04dc9b5f47dd40.jpeg

(ole lady asks why did you make a POS? But the background is pretty!)

BTW..Im not going to reveal the back panel yet, hence the black scribbles

Ha replacing the panel or starting over?

This guy is extra salty
6 minutes ago, asting said:

Ha replacing the panel or starting over?

Can’t replace acrylic panels 😅

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Can’t replace acrylic panels 😅

Haha well if you decide to have another go I'd take the last one off your hands.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
6 hours ago, asting said:

Out of curiosity, what's the largest tank you've made?

120 frag tank

6 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Add a lid/frame and make it a topoff container?

That’s a good idea but the clear will grow bad stuff

• Wow 1
This guy is extra salty

The hob filter v2 is coming along!the front is matte black, the sides and back are grey acrylic. The clear bottom is for when I attach the lights to grow Chaeto the lid will be mirror acrylic to reflect the light back. Hopefully it will not be too much of a eyesore.

B1CA7E13-E469-4BD5-BECA-4DFA3A1108FB.thumb.jpeg.d207e7ddc3aaa0375e1ecc9b3ca2d6a9.jpeg

I’m now having to design an attachment for the pump. This part is the front part that holds the impeller which I will cut using a cnc.. but my big issue is machining the little “flaps” 1B93655F-E7AD-4A97-B0F4-086A3F9C93E7.thumb.jpeg.eec321a8ce9c9d2a1671d65b978c2be8.jpeg

everything will be piece of cake

F7F0D9AF-43CE-4C1E-B702-76069EF2FAC4.thumb.jpeg.876f8f423c42c54f3e3d131a6aa15b53.jpeg114EBF19-C3A7-4DD3-B973-34C605DC554F.thumb.jpeg.d3be286c94e9412a89e264a1aad42d55.jpeg

If I cannot do the little “flaps” I’ll have to weld the tube directly to it.

• Like 5
A Little Blue
On 4/6/2019 at 12:41 AM, This guy is extra salty said:

Lol which rack?

ill probably snag a twig or two

FA79FA30-140D-433C-8563-1EC442B2FE8D.jpeg

C1D21D59-09CC-43C8-AC81-8434A6628BF5.jpeg

39971E10-2791-48E0-89E3-C89E20B8A76F.jpeg

5C8F5A9F-176E-49D5-96F7-30AE6B27B3CA.jpeg

20E02955-E182-4888-9B46-1537BB6CEC57.jpeg

24DD64AB-BEC7-480D-87CC-0F4AAF0187F6.jpeg

718621A3-4BA6-4D42-8779-AA92558635EC.jpeg

C981153D-6EFB-4F12-A4C3-DC72E2BD5DDA.jpeg

At least you have few corals to choose from. I could have gone an easy way and do the same but that would be a little boring so I’ll probably get new set for my 2.5. Not sure what yet. Probably 5-10 corals. 

Glad to see some progress on this HOB thingy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
22 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

At least you have few corals to choose from. I could have gone an easy way and do the same but that would be a little boring so I’ll probably get new set for my 2.5. Not sure what yet. Probably 5-10 corals. 

Glad to see some progress on this HOB thingy. 

Well I’m not allowed to spend money for this “contest” aka project 😝 

which is fine but it’s going to come to a point where I’ll have to convince the ole lady that we need something in the tank

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
56 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Well I’m not allowed to spend money for this “contest” aka project 😝 

which is fine but it’s going to come to a point where I’ll have to convince the ole lady that we need something in the tank

No. No that's not new. Was just in the back of the other tank.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, asting said:

No. No that's not new. Was just in the back of the other tank.

D3F73AAC-8DAD-42FB-9D59-87FEB8698A01.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4