inTank Media Baskets

Filtration for dwarf seahorse

Caingram

I’m making plans for a dwarf seahorse tank. I’ve had them in the past and know all about their nutritional needs. I know a lot of people use sponge filters for them, but I don’t think they look nice. I’ve considered a refugium powered by an air pump, but I’ve read that they are noisy (lots of sputtering). I like the look of an “all in one” system, but I know the filtration may not be ideal, as the uptake is usually in the form of small slits which the dwarf or thier fry might fit though. I’m leaning towards a small HOB such as the Azoo, with the flow on low and intake covered with a sponge. Any advice? How do you go about making sure the filter does not suck up all the BBS before the seahorses can eat them? And how often would the sponge need to be rinsed? I’ve also considered just using open ended airline tubing for water movement and no filter, as I’ve read several people successfully use this method, but I don’t know if I could handle all the bubbling noises. I’d appreciate any advice from experienced keepers. Thanks! 

Turn the filter off when they are fed. It may be time consuming but it should work. Also...A  more established system with many pods would be more nutritious than brine shrimp.

ive never kept seahorses, but you could try a regular filtration system, and put sponges over the intake and outtake pipes to slow down the current. just my 2 cents

On 3/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, jambon said:

Turn the filter off when they are fed. It may be time consuming but it should work. Also...A  more established system with many pods would be more nutritious than brine shrimp.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, BlennyBoi said:

ive never kept seahorses, but you could try a regular filtration system, and put sponges over the intake and outtake pipes to slow down the current. just my 2 cents

Thanks for the replies. What about something like the photo below, as a false back? It’s a DIY tank divider made with plastic canvas for crafting. The back area could be a fuge for cheato and other macros for pod growth, and would also house the filtration. The front area would be the display area. Do you think enough flow would get up to the front area through the plastic screen? Dwarves don’t like a whole lot of flow anyway. Has anyone ever seen this done? 

2BCDAD12-CC36-44B6-9CCE-E53EC2C560E9.png

3 hours ago, Caingram said:

Thanks for the replies. What about something like the photo below, as a false back? It’s a DIY tank divider made with plastic canvas for crafting. The back area could be a fuge for cheato and other macros for pod growth, and would also house the filtration. The front area would be the display area. Do you think enough flow would get up to the front area through the plastic screen? Dwarves don’t like a whole lot of flow anyway. Has anyone ever seen this done? 

2BCDAD12-CC36-44B6-9CCE-E53EC2C560E9.png

yeah, i think flow would get through that. possibly a bit too much. if its too much just add a sponge or you could even use the chaeto. good luck with your seahorses