inTank Media Baskets

Curing live rock - is it ready to use?

Butchy21

First time curing rock:

I purchased dry rock from LFS a few months ago- upon inspection it looks like it has never been used in a tank (no tubes or any odd structures on the rock).  I have since cured it for 3.5 weeks with a heater / powerhead.  I didn't know you were supposed to exchange the water more frequently but I switched out the water one time half way through.

Just took some readings:

Phosphate: <0.03

Nitrite: 0.5ppm

Ammonia: 0.5ppm

I imagine I am good to go to use these pieces in the display tank?

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When you mean curing, what did you do?

I placed the dry rock in saltwater with heater and powerhead and let them cycle for the last 3.5 weeks to have any phosphates / nitrates leach out until water parameters for ammonia, phosphate, nitrite are all very low.  Want to add them to my display tank when they are finished.

3 hours ago, Butchy21 said:

I placed the dry rock in saltwater with heater and powerhead and let them cycle for the last 3.5 weeks to have any phosphates / nitrates leach out until water parameters for ammonia, phosphate, nitrite are all very low.  Want to add them to my display tank when they are finished.

Did you see the ammonia spike higher and drop?

If it's an existing tank, I wouldn't add them until ammonia and nitrite is 0. If it's a new tank they can be added and no livestock added until those params read 0

10 hours ago, hotdrop said:

Your amonia is oddly high for 3 weeks in. Do a check with DI water and see what your test reads as 0.

I tested my tank for ammonia last week and had a reading of zero but have not tested DI water.

I can replace all of the water and check in another few days to see if parameters go down to zero since it has been a few weeks since I changed the water in the bucket.