Top Shelf Aquatics

LEDs that don’t need an app

spazizz

Are there any other leds other than kessil that don’t need an app to function? I just checked out the a80 it was no where near bright enough to my eyes so I’m looking for other options. Controllability on the fixture would be great. 

12x12x12 

i don’t mind mobile or desktop controllability but I want the option to control spectrum and intensity on the fixture regardless. Like the kessil a80 the Kessil a80 would be great if it was brighter looking to my eyes. 

Ai prime was pretty bright but only the intensity was adjustable. 

I dont really want to spend more than $200. 

A Little Blue

Both way under your budget:

I’ve heard good things from someone I know about HIPARGERO from Amazon. 

This is one looks good. Enough power, full spectrum. But I have no idea how it performs. So....

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Prism_CC_LED_Light_Fixture_30_Watt_Marine_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ3799-FILTFILD-vi.html

I’m bias about Kessils and I also own Prime. If you can spend a little more, go with Kessil. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I’m bias about Kessils and I also own Prime. If you can spend a little more, go with Kessil. 

how come? I'm curious...

If you want to control directly from fixture the hiperagero is one of them or the micmol.

I use the micmol and it's really easy to use and works really well 

I used the original aquamaxx, it was ok but not easy to control and I had little growth under it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078F9KY26/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546136167&sr=8-2&keywords=micmol&dpPl=1&dpID=51SxtxUFo8L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Sanrise-A029-Knight-Aquarium-Mount/dp/B01ETQ92AE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1QMM71TZM9OOS&keywords=hipargero+led+aquarium+light&qid=1553135285&s=gateway&sprefix=hiperagero&sr=8-3

On 3/20/2019 at 8:08 PM, spazizz said:

Ai prime was pretty bright but only the intensity was adjustable. 

On the AI Prime, nothing is adjustable on the light fixture itself.

Everything - intensity, color, timer/dimming - is controllable from an app or the website. Lots of programs you can copy too.

• Like 1
Just now, DPRoberts said:

On the AI Prime, nothing is adjustable on the light fixture itself.

Everything - intensity, color, timer/dimming - is controllable from an app or the website. Lots of programs you can copy too.

I checked it out in the store yesterday. The on button changes the intensity by 20%. Even says so in the paper instructions that the light comes with. I don’t know what the default spectrum is. The Spectrum seems unchangeable on the fixture itself. 

So I’ve done a bit more research since last posting. I’m Kinda putting this here for any one else who feels the same about this topic. 

Radions can be controlled with the buttons on the fixture. Their intensity and spectrum can change. But it doesn’t look like you can set up a schedule through the buttons. Not sure how their ecosmart site works. 

Next light is maxspect razor. The nano version has been discontinued but I’m pretty sure all razors have a controllable screen on the light fixture itself. 

Both radion and maxspect have pretty high costs. The maxspect nano may be outdated compared to today’s current led technology. So I’m still searching due to these factors. But I’m willing to increase my budget if I find the right light. 

mitten_reef

consider Current USA IC Loop?  no need for web/app interface.  All controls are thru their display head unit.   

If you consider used item (mentioned maxspect nano), AI previous gen controller also doesn't require internet/web/app, but it probably only works with their older lights.  It's set up similar to Kessil controller. 

Or you could just get a used A160WE with controller, I'm sure there are deals on the combo out there, now that Kessil moves on to the next-gen controller and light.

• Like 1

Kessil can be set up on the fixture. Not sure about setting up the schedule or Intensity.

Radion there is a way to control it but this is how it's done.

https://support.ecotechmarine.com/hc/en-us/articles/206236998-I-have-Radions-but-do-not-plan-on-buying-the-ReefLink-how-do-I-program-them-

Unfortunately a lot of fixtures without the controller you have limited ability to set up the intensity of each individual led colour or the actual schedule.

More and more fixtures are going with controller in apps because more and more ppl like being able to control their lights(and other equipment) on their phone, tablet, desktop. Makes life very easy, especially if you need to change things.

Makes it also customized to your tanks needs.

• Like 1

Nanobox duo is  over the 200 mark,but,I have a current one running off a storm controller. Pretty straightforward control box just directly connected to the light. Handles cloud cover,ramp times, individual channel control(mine is 5 channels and a fan channel),lightning storms etc. Just given ya another option to have,hope it helps some!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pgrVII said:

Nanobox duo is  over the 200 mark,but,I have a current one running off a storm controller. Pretty straightforward control box just directly connected to the light. Handles cloud cover,ramp times, individual channel control(mine is 5 channels and a fan channel),lightning storms etc. Just given ya another option to have,hope it helps some!

It’s been a consideration. I’d only need a mini. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, spazizz said:

It’s been a consideration. I’d only need a mini. 

I really really like mine for what its worth,alot of the other options will also work,but Im very happy with mine.

• Thanks 1

@Clown79 im thinking about the future when i condsider spending a lot of money. Will I be able to use it 10-15 yrs down the road. Will these apps have support. Will the company still be in business. My mh and t5s still work as long as I have bulbs. 

As far as kessil goes I’ve been reading a lot of reviews saying their units died after 2-3 years of use. 

7 minutes ago, spazizz said:

@Clown79 im thinking about the future when i condsider spending a lot of money. Will I be able to use it 10-15 yrs down the road. Will these apps have support. Will the company still be in business. My mh and t5s still work as long as I have bulbs. 

As far as kessil goes I’ve been reading a lot of reviews saying their units died after 2-3 years of use. 

I know Ai's and Radions don't have that reputation. Leds last for 50,000hrs so average is 12 yrs.

Apps are regularly updated with the Ai. I can't speak for Radion as I don't own one. 

With leds taking over, sooner than later t5 bulbs will become harder to source. I know here, they are becoming harder to find same with Europe.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I know Ai's and Radions don't have that reputation. Leds last for 50,000hrs so average is 12 yrs.

Apps are regularly updated with the Ai. I can't speak for Radion as I don't own one. 

With leds taking over, sooner than later t5 bulbs will become harder to source. I know here, they are becoming harder to find same with Europe.

The radion is tempting because it can at least be used with out the website or app. Their reputation helps too. 

Ai price point is so is so good compared to others. 10-15 yrs who knows how usable they will still be. 

Ill stock up on t5 and mh bulbs when they disappear. 

53 minutes ago, spazizz said:

The radion is tempting because it can at least be used with out the website or app. Their reputation helps too. 

Ai price point is so is so good compared to others. 10-15 yrs who knows how usable they will still be. 

Ill stock up on t5 and mh bulbs when they disappear. 

Save up the money you're planning on spending on 10-15 years' worth of T5 and MH bulbs & buy a new LED fixture in 10-15 years.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if your still running a 12x12x12 size tank in 10-15 yrs. You will most likely have moved up in size by then

and whatever your getting for today's will need to replaced for the larger tank.  🙂

On 3/31/2019 at 8:46 AM, dling said:

I would be very surprised if your still running a 12x12x12 size tank in 10-15 yrs. You will most likely have moved up in size by then

and whatever your getting for today's will need to replaced for the larger tank.  🙂

Then you’ll be really surprised that I’ve had a nano tank of some sort running since 2007. Bigger is not always better nor is it always the goal. Even If I get a bigger tank I’ll still have a nano if some sort.