Coral Vue Hydros

90 Gallon Vivarium

Withers

Love it! I really wanted to do a paludarium with a crested gecko. But being a first time crestie and vivarium owner, I decided to go with solid ground for now since I am not 100% familiar with crestie behavior yet.  But, I have not left my paludarium ideas behind yet!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

Love it! I really wanted to do a paludarium with a crested gecko. But being a first time crestie and vivarium owner, I decided to go with solid ground for now since I am not 100% familiar with crestie behavior yet.  But, I have not left my paludarium ideas behind yet!

My crestie never drank out of a dish or anything. Just lapped dew and droplets off of leaves. Not sure if they can swim though.

JulieReefer

Definitely following this one! I have an axolotl that I am

eventually going to build more of a riparian/orchidarium for. This looks awesome so far!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Pothos can be a pretty good background vine if you manage to train it upwards. Cissus amazonica is another good one, rapid grower.

I've never had good luck with making Pothos looking good but Cissus amazonica is absolutely on my list. Most of the vining plants I want are Marcgravia but they're quite expensive so I'm going to wait for everything to settle and start to really grow in before I give them a try. 

https://www.glassboxtropicals.com/Marcgravia-s/150.htm

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Withers said:

Well at least one of the orchids likes it's new habitat
MqU82xP.jpg

Pleurothallis costaricensis bloom

That is so pretty! 😊

• 2 months later...

3 month update

I never could fix the condensation issue with all that water in the bottom so I got fed up and got rid of it. I also wasn't happy with the amount of land area I had, I wasn't sure if it could support enough microfauna for froglets to feed off of long-term. 
AgkYMIU.jpg?2

It's interesting that I'm losing colors in some broms but gaining harder to achieve colors in others. 

Caterpillar fern making a comeback
F7TK3cb.jpg?1

Can't remember this brom's name but it's blooming and happy
TMWiPzg.jpg

I'm about to go on vacation but when I get back I think it's time for another big plant order. Need some epiphytes to start covering that background. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Withers said:

Starting to fill it out more. 
buxha6N.jpg?2

hUKN3pe.jpg?1

r7vqQzl.jpg?1

Stelis Hertzii bloom
3MKfAxr.jpg?2

It looks really nice. 😊 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

Even my wife commented on how nice it was looking, and she usually gives these things the stink eye every chance she gets. 

Also settled on a frog. Going to wait till I can find some red head histrionicas. If I'm only going to have one tank I might as well go for broke and get the frog I've always wanted. 

6188652768_f248fb9b34_b.jpg

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Withers said:

Thanks guys 🙂

Even my wife commented on how nice it was looking, and she usually gives these things the stink eye every chance she gets. 

Also settled on a frog. Going to wait till I can find some red head histrionicas. If I'm only going to have one tank I might as well go for broke and get the frog I've always wanted. 

6188652768_f248fb9b34_b.jpg

That’s a nice looking frog....... the colors will stand out nicely in there with all the greenery. 

• Like 2

Hot dang! Here and I've been filling these glass boxes with salt water this whole time. This thread makes me feel like I've been doing it wrong! 😂 Very nice work!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

good choice of frogs, used to have ranitomeya variabilis and cobalt tincs. Want to get more soon. If you haven’t yet a great forum for darts is dendroboard. Great info and great community like here. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know what's different about this one but I've got a crazy number of plants blooming. I guess it's the lights but I figured these plants wouldn't appreciate it like they are. I've got 3 orchids currently blooming, that vriesia is still going and a modena which I can't tell if it's blooming or if it's a new leaf coming in:

cyQVZ6M.jpg

MfufTBY.jpg

JtZtE3A.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Good! Well, sort of. Finding Red Head histrionicas at a reasonable price might be beyond me, but I've found multiple breeders of Oophaga around and I can join a wait list at any time for some of the more common types (looking at Oophaga Pumilio Bastimentos "red frog beach" currently), but the bigger issue is convincing my wife. I'm trying to come up with a system of either culturing fruit flies in the garage or figuring out how to minimize the smell and keep them indoors like normal. She says they smell too bad. 

• Like 1

No issues - their small jar lasts about 2 - 3 months for me (no lid, aluminum seal 30% open) - I haven't tried a large jar yet cause $, but pretty sure that would last quite a while. You can still smell them if you are standing very near or over them of course, but it absolutely takes care of the "wafts" you would get when working in the same room.

• Like 1