inTank Media Baskets

What fish to get?

BlennyBoi

my bicolor blenny recently died (he was outcompeted for food by my other fish), and was wondering what fish i should get to replace him. if i do get another fish it would need to be:

ok in a 30g tank

be reef safe

invert safe

be compatible with a sixline wrasse, clarkii and cleaner shrimp

eat krill/mysis

i was thinking either an azure damsel or pyjama cardinal. worried that if i go the cardinal he would have the same problem as the blenny.

feel free to add your ideas

tanks a lot

1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

How about another blenny, but a different species? I have a Starry in my 20G and he's amazing. Full of personality and attitude. You could also try a Grammistes or Midas. 

im worried the same thing will happen. also i just want to try something new

Snow_Phoenix
10 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

im worried the same thing will happen. also i just want to try something new

You have two aggressive fish. If you didn't have the cleaner, I'd say get a hawkfish but the shrimp will be lunch. Maybe a royal gramma or dottyback would do?

11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Midas blenny! Awesome fish. Definitely fast, main diet is carnivorous foods.

sounds good! ill consider that

edit: just had a look and they get to 6 inches. perhaps a bit too big considering i do have other fish.

18 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

You have two aggressive fish. If you didn't have the cleaner, I'd say get a hawkfish but the shrimp will be lunch. Maybe a royal gramma or dottyback would do?

ya rite about them being aggressive. if i didnt have the shrimp i would have definately have gone for a pixy hawk. i do like dottybacks tho. would an orchid dottyback be ok?

17 hours ago, BORDER said:

Black Caps are stunning .... might be ok 

yah theyre really cool but im going for a great barrier reef tank. black caps are atlantic.

1 hour ago, BlennyBoi said:

ya rite about them being aggressive. if i didnt have the shrimp i would have definately have gone for a pixy hawk. i do like dottybacks tho. would an orchid dottyback be ok?

I got rid my orchid....attacked shrimp after I had it awhile.

Snow_Phoenix
13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Midas blenny! Awesome fish. Definitely fast, main diet is carnivorous foods.

I second this. 🙂 

I had a Midas once - was a wonderful fish. Had a notorious habit of sitting in my pumps when I turned them off for feeding though, so you'll need to watch that. 

22 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I second this. 🙂 

I had a Midas once - was a wonderful fish. Had a notorious habit of sitting in my pumps when I turned them off for feeding though, so you'll need to watch that. 

i dont have any powerheads so its fine!

bad news. the shrimp died too. i got slack on testing and my nitrates skyrocketed. doing a ton of w/c's now. i could get a hawk now that i dont have the shrimp. AUGH there are so many options!

You definitely want a fish that can hold it's own.  6 lines are well known for turning into pescacidal maniacs as they mature, especially in smaller tanks.  Orchid Dottyback and Midas Blenny or maybe a Forktail Blenny would be my recommendations.  Be aware that the Forktail does have venomous fangs, although they are generally used strictly for defense.  

ive looked into it a bit more, and im leaning towards either a falco hawk of pixy hawk. doing tons of w/c's, getting better but nitrates are still high.

Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

ive looked into it a bit more, and im leaning towards either a falco hawk of pixy hawk. doing tons of w/c's, getting better but nitrates are still high.

I have a Falco Hawk. Very, very striking fish in terms of personality and color. But also loves, loves to rip apart my CUC. It's why his tank has absolutely zero CUC. He even pulled off the spines from my tuxedo urchin for shits and giggles. He's a mean fish, but a very bold one too. 

2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have a Falco Hawk. Very, very striking fish in terms of personality and color. But also loves, loves to rip apart my CUC. It's why his tank has absolutely zero CUC. He even pulled off the spines from my tuxedo urchin for shits and giggles. He's a mean fish, but a very bold one too. 

oh. maybe ill reconsider. im not really too attached to my absolutely minuscule hermits, but my tux urchin is another matter.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:49 AM, jesseatam said:

If you have high nitrates you probably shouldn't be increasing your bio load, its just going to make the problem worse.

its cos i missed a few w/c's. im gonna get the problem under control before i add anything