Waterbox 10g

Jaebo sw2 <---- REMOVED (Unnecessary)

Ai prime

Intank filter basket

Chemi pure nano

Purigen

Filter floss

Neo term heater (pre owned on amazon) <----- FAILED, replaced with 50w aqueon

Was also running a bag of carbon but stopped recently and the levels stayed the same. Would it be beneficial in any way to run carbon too?

2 clownfish - unknown mutants, the little one was fully submitted in 24 hrs of adding it.

1 fire shrimp

3 blue leg hermit crabs

2 Astrea snails

2 turbo snails

Green Singulara leather - had it for about 60 days its shed its skin twice and has grown alot.

Yellow Candy cane - This thing is bright yellow with no lights on! I changed my phome camera setting to 10k color temp (highest option) and the pictures came out pretty true to life, its still more yellow in person. Got it about 2 weeks ago with 4 mouths and its growing another. It looked like two heads were splitting at once. Then one head stopped splitting and the other kept splitting, it was weird.

Rainbow acan? - can anyone id?

Unknown zoas

Maintenance 

Use magnet to clean glass every morning

Top off morning and night

40% waterchange every Sunday

-Syphon sandbed 

-Turkey baster rocks

-syphon back chambers every few weeks (they stay really clean so i dont see the point.

Change filter floss weekly

Rinse chemi pure and purigen weekly

The fire shrimp lost a claw shortly after being introduced but seems fine, eats the hikari pellets i give the clowns.

I only feed the clowns hikari marine s pellets, is that bad?

I scraped all the coraline off the snails as i got them and coraline started popping up in places. The largest spot is almost a half an inch, its my pride and joy. 

Also what is the best thing to feed the candy canes and acan? I want to use reef roids but they say dont do reef roids with a new tank. 

If anyone has suggestions for another fish im all ears. Thought i was done but i think i want a blenny or something that can serve a purpose. Ideas for a more well rounded cleanup crew are also welcome. 

20190318_192014.jpg

20190318_191911.jpg

20190318_192320.jpg

20190318_191709.jpg

20190318_191623.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Keeper of my nieces Ocean

Moving this tank tomorrow, wish me luck. Any pro tips are much appreciated.

Couple questions:

1. Anyone have issues with fire shrimp climbing on a leather? I dont think hes eating it but hes in it alot and it causes the leather to close whatever limb its been walking on. Only thing i feed the shrimp is pellets thats the clowns get and dried frozen mysis. Is the shrimp.not getting enough food? I always make sure it gets some but maybe that type of food isnt what he needs i dunno.

2. Thinking about pulling the fire shrimp and adding some pom pom crabs and sexy shrimp. Will they do fine with the clowns? Can i add a pom pom (or 2 if possible) with the fire shrimp?

Thanks, i very much appreciate any shared knowledge. 

20190609_160340.jpg

20190608_204717.jpg

20190609_160838.jpg

20190609_160633.jpg

• Like 1

Got 4 shirt tentacle torches for $74, pretty sure it was a large colony that was recently fragged, but they are happy campers now.

Got the monti for $15, was told its a spongates so it will plate and branch, which is nice. Have had it for a few months and its growing, i changed the flow up to get the torches right and everybody has loved it. The monti liked it more before but is doing fine. 

Most the coral is on the sand so the move would be easier. Itll be easier to customize correct flow for the corals when i move the tank and glue/cement them into place on the rock.

Ill update you when the mission is accomplished, since everyone is on the edge of their seats. 

20190609_155722.jpg

20190608_204808.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finished the move, everything went smoothly. Only mishap was leaving the tank uncovered in the back of the truck. It was pretty silty for a day or so. Nothing 3 water changes in 3 days cant fix! Was worried about the lack of pods but they showed up again, didnt clean the glass for 2 days to let them repopulate.

The best part about this is i only has 2 viewing panels before now i have 3. 

Now that the move is done im going to epoxy/glue all the corals onto the rocks and have an open sand bed. I like the look of and open sandbed and also for tank maintenance. 

Decided im going to add a sharknose goby to the mix. Cant find any info on if they need a lid or not? They are ORA tank raised if that matters.

20190614_125839.jpg

20190614_125648.jpg

20190614_125705.jpg

20190614_125719.jpg

• Like 2

O and i bought a few corals yeaterday.

$5 - 2 heads of blue candy cane

$15 - red acan with yellow center

$15 - dragon soul favia (pics dont do it justice)

Got them at Reef Lounge USA in Anaheim. Eatsleepreef did a video on the place on YouTube. Big selection of LPS at good prices

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Attached all the frags to the rockwork. Moved walking distance from my favorite fish store, they like me alot there. Got a mummy eye and another green and red one they said grows fast for $35 and $40. The mummyeye growout at the store is bright yellow and orange, almost got 2 frags but decided to diversify. Sharknose goby moved in right where the clowns sleep. They don't seem to mind. Couldnt pass up on that hammer for $60. Also got some cool clove polyps for $30. Im going a little crazy with the additions, but im still being thrifty about it. Good news is im running out of places to out things. 

BTW im trying to set a record for most posts and pictures with no comments so please dont spoil it. 

Screenshot_20190625-193534_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190625-194849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190625-193809_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190625-193706_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190625-194021_Gallery.jpg

20190625_185621.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Christopher Marks
On 6/9/2019 at 4:23 PM, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

Couple questions:

1. Anyone have issues with fire shrimp climbing on a leather? I dont think hes eating it but hes in it alot and it causes the leather to close whatever limb its been walking on. Only thing i feed the shrimp is pellets thats the clowns get and dried frozen mysis. Is the shrimp.not getting enough food? I always make sure it gets some but maybe that type of food isnt what he needs i dunno.

2. Thinking about pulling the fire shrimp and adding some pom pom crabs and sexy shrimp. Will they do fine with the clowns? Can i add a pom pom (or 2 if possible) with the fire shrimp?

1. Kind of just the nature of cleaner shrimp, they will climb over almost anything as scavengers. The leather should be ok though despite the disturbance. 

2. Yeah those would be find with your clownfish. A classic combo! A pom Pom crab should be able to be housed with a fire shrimp too, if you decide to keep it instead. 

Glad to hear the the move went well! Your growing coral collection is really vibrant, I love those ricordea and acans! How fortuitous/dangerous to move that close to a good LFS 😂

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

BTW im trying to set a record for most posts and pictures with no comments so please dont spoil it. 

LOL.  Found your thread. 

Really nice clown pair.  I'm jealous.  

• Like 1

Nice tank you've got here! You started your aquarium at almost the exact same time I started mine (my first fill was on 12/15/18), so it's really cool to compare photos and look at the growth. Kind of gives me a neat benchmark to see how I am doing. 😁

On 6/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

Im going a little crazy with the additions, but im still being thrifty about it. Good news is im running out of places to out things. 

It seems like good news until you realize that the next step is a tank upgrade... 😱 It's hard to be in this hobby and not be constantly broke, at least in my experience.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, Tigahboy said:

LOL.  Found your thread. 

Really nice clown pair.  I'm jealous.  

Got the one with the 7 on his head at Tongs. I think thats why shes nice to me, she really liked that one. 

On 6/27/2019 at 7:10 AM, billygoat said:

Nice tank you've got here! You started your aquarium at almost the exact same time I started mine (my first fill was on 12/15/18), so it's really cool to compare photos and look at the growth. Kind of gives me a neat benchmark to see how I am doing. 😁

It seems like good news until you realize that the next step is a tank upgrade... 😱 It's hard to be in this hobby and not be constantly broke, at least in my experience.

Ive already justified a 5g for the office. Found a UNS 5g. Its 17.7L x 11D x 7.1H 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, Christopher Marks said:

1. Kind of just the nature of cleaner shrimp, they will climb over almost anything as scavengers. The leather should be ok though despite the disturbance. 

2. Yeah those would be find with your clownfish. A classic combo! A pom Pom crab should be able to be housed with a fire shrimp too, if you decide to keep it instead. 

Glad to hear the the move went well! Your growing coral collection is really vibrant, I love those ricordea and acans! How fortuitous/dangerous to move that close to a good LFS 😂

Thanks! Ill have to get me a pom pom.

My clowns are hosting my sharknose goby... 😂😜 this was at 130am btw, they were sleeping

Snapchat-915432843.jpg

Snapchat-450468720.jpg

Snapchat-665855116.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Keeper of my nieces Ocean said:

My clowns are hosting my sharknose goby... 😂😜 this was at 130am btw, they were sleeping

Snapchat-915432843.jpg

Snapchat-450468720.jpg

Snapchat-665855116.jpg

LOL.  AMAZING.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wavemaker got glued together, whoops. Cleaned the return pump line to see if i could go without a wavemaker with the stock return at 100%. Everything is actually a little puffier except the torches, they need some more flow. Chalices are extended further than normal. Going upgrade the return pump to the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 i think. Are there any adjustable options that fit? I also cant decide spin stream or dual nozzle. I want dual nozzle but all the options i see look bulky

20190711_201804.thumb.jpg.87f6da84bfe08e453d3f93edc0bb370a.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Full tank shot right before the frags from reefapolooza went in. Haven't bought any corals for a few months in anticipation for this the show and it didn't disappoint. 

The haul:

Legendary Corals baby jawbreaker $50

Legendary Corals Utter chaos $20 (2 baby polyps hiding underneath)

Legendary Corals Bizzaro Cyph $50

Long tenticle green hammer/poor mans gold torch $40 

Speckled Krak $30!

Unique corals red/purple/green mouth blasto $15

Also, check out the growth on the mummy eye chalice, they grow up so fast! 

20190816_114503.jpg

20190821_173250.jpg

20190821_183028.jpg

20190821_204249.jpg

20190821_204407.jpg

20190821_204222.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I saw this snail on the rocks one night, looked it up and think i made a positive id (cant remember what it was). But everyone seemed to be in consensus that it was a good critter. Can anyone confirm?

20190818_103735.jpg

20190813_224848.jpg

• Like 2

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like a stomatella snail. A harmless nocturnal herbivore. 😊 Often they will run away when you turn on the lights.

Congrats on your cool frags as well! Glad to see reefapalooza did not disappoint.

• Like 1
On 8/24/2019 at 12:52 PM, Wonderboy said:

Great setup, great write up - tagging along  :]

Thanks!

Got all the coral off the sandbad again and mounted them. Bought a little piece of live rock to put my zoas and mushrooms on. I took the zoas off their plugs with no ppe, i like to live dangerously. Jawbreaker is showing alot of green, is that normal or did i hit the jackpot?

20190826_143433.jpg

20190826_143457.jpg

20190826_143502.jpg