A Little Blue

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

Waiting for the first creature to get brain damage from your tiny blenders 

I think the baby hammerhead will win. 🤣

• Haha 1
A Little Blue
26 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

You gonna do like a tailspot blenny or clown goby or something? Maybe a rock flower nem or two?

Unfortunately, neither. I like tailspots too much to stick him in the cage this small. 

Clown Goby ....... I don’t know enough about these guys. Probably just like any other Goby but probably not. 

Fish choice will depend on pods population that I am hoping to produce/sustain. If not, maybe dwarf gobie (Masked, Eviota or similar. Depends on what’s available). 

Nems are definitely an option. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
36 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I think the scape looks really good. 😊

It’s a work in progress. That scape was part of the contest prep. That, no longer applies so it might change. And Thanks. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍🤗

36 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Waiting for the first creature to get brain damage from your tiny blenders 

Like a hot stove. Once you touch it, you learn for life. But it would be fun to watch. 🤣

34 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I think the baby hammerhead will win. 🤣

We can name the first fish that runs into that “tinny blender” Hammerhead. 👍

• Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Unfortunately, neither. I like tailspots too much to stick him in the cage this small. 

Clown Goby ....... I don’t know enough about these guys. Probably just like any other Goby but probably not. 

Fish choice will depend on pods population that I am hoping to produce/sustain. If not, maybe dwarf gobie (Masked, Eviota or similar. Depends on what’s available). 

Nems are definitely an option. 

I don't know if I'd feel right about putting a fish in a small space like that either. You've got some time...I don't even know what I'd put in something that small. Can't wait to see what you come up with still.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I don't know if I'd feel right about putting a fish in a small space like that either. You've got some time...I don't even know what I'd put in something that small. Can't wait to see what you come up with still.

Dwarf gobies are around 1” adult. Problem is, they don’t live very long (about a year). So if you get one, it probably won’t live that long since it’s already a large juvenile or young adult. 

They don’t need a lot of space. Most of the time just hop from one zoa polyp to another. But they’re cute. I had plant of those long ago. And let’s not forget, as most gobies, they might carper surf without the top. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Looks like I’m getting Kessil A80 from fellow nano-reef reefer tomorrow. So change of plans. Instead of using one of A160s from my 30long, A80 will lit this 2.5. Since A80 is fanless, it should help keep this setup supper silent. 🤫🤭👍

• Like 3
A Little Blue
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I like your MP5!

MP2.5 and these are much cheaper and actually silent. Wet side cost is around $3-$5 not $60🤣

5 hours ago, stevejo said:

You're using mag stirrer tech to move water in a pico.  I'm honestly floored at the simplicity and sheer genius.  Bravo, sir!

Thank you and you’re right. This will work for many pico tanks. Even with sand, there are ways to successfully use this without creating a sandstorm. Some of CUC crew, shrimps or fish might get knocked the hell out by MP2.5 (MagicPump2.5 gal) but there is a way to deal with that as well. I’ll post pic of such a guard (HomeDepot $1.60) later today (hopefully). 

• Like 1

That stirrer is a genius idea.  What exactly are they called?  I thought they were used to stir chemicals in labs, but I can't figure out what they're called. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Covers for MP2.5s. 

They need a bit of super glue or silicon to keep it in place. MP2.5 create such a powerful vortex within space of these covers that it will make them spin uncontrollably. 

Not sure if I’m going to use any of these (I like natural solutions) but if any of you were interested and concern about KTFO your CUC, shrimp or fish, this is a solution. 

Tested A80 Kessil over 2.5 and it looks great. But........ that’s not the end as far as lighting on this tank is concern. Stay tuned. 

70544473-D26A-4250-951A-CD8FBC7BABBF.thumb.jpeg.572bfac3c04e6c408ca7b1a8bc3f6fe2.jpeg

• Like 2
A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

That stirrer is a genius idea.  What exactly are they called?  I thought they were used to stir chemicals in labs, but I can't figure out what they're called. 

They’re called magnetic stirrer and they are sold on Amazon at $29 per unit. 

I’m using the same brand that BRS uses for their “mixing” solution. 

You can get different shape/design/size bell (pill like spinning magnet) if you like but I found no benefits or cost justification for it. 

Everything in here thus far is amazing and very creative.  And the mag stirrer/MP2.5 is one of the most ingenious things I've seen for a pico!  Well done!

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
10 minutes ago, Ticoreefer said:

So cool, what stir plate are you using? This would work great on my pico jar!!

One of the cheapest ones that I could find. If it’s good enough for BRS than it should be good enough for this use. You can run them continuously at %0-50 power (you won’t need more than that). 

967FD2B6-08D9-4983-AC47-CBA884959099.thumb.jpeg.d808c79f34d65ba22f9fb945faf8161d.jpeg

• Like 1
A Little Blue
8 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Everything in here thus far is amazing and very creative.  And the mag stirrer/MP2.5 is one of the most ingenious things I've seen for a pico!  Well done!

Thank you very much. Other the Echotech Vortech Pumps, this has no competition 🤣😂🤣 (for small nano/pico tanks) and it is a fraction of the cost. It’s more efficient and silent. 

Just now, A Little Blue said:

Thank you very much. Other the Echotech Vortech Pumps, this has no competition 🤣😂🤣 (for small nano/pico tanks) and it is a fraction of the cost. It’s more efficient and silent. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you not saving this or entering this for the competition?  Or are you??  haha.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you not saving this or entering this for the competition?  Or are you??  haha.

I’m not participating. That’s why I’m sharing my little secrets with rest of you guys. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

I’m not participating. That’s why I’m sharing my little secrets with rest of you guys. 

That's a shame.  You would've killed it.  Kudos for the open-sourcing tho.  👍

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

That's a shame.  You would've killed it.  Kudos for the open-sourcing tho.  👍

No problem. Glad it might help someone who seeks the “light”. 🤣😂🤣👍

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

One of the cheapest ones that I could find. If it’s good enough for BRS than it should be good enough for this use. You can run them continuously at %0-50 power (you won’t need more than that). 

I'm interested to see how that is set up - I've used these extensively at work, but am interested as to how you balanced the tank on that wee little stirrer - or are you using two?

• Like 1
A Little Blue
20 minutes ago, stevejo said:

I'm interested to see how that is set up - I've used these extensively at work, but am interested as to how you balanced the tank on that wee little stirrer - or are you using two?

Two. It holds the tank just fine but that’s not how I envision it. There will be more to come. But yes, two will hold 2.5 tank just fine. 

The ones you have used are probably lab grade. These are cheap Chinese “toys” but they work just fine and have decent reviews overall. 

(In video 2 pumps are shown on opposite side of the tank. 1st right side, 2nd left side under larger rock structure.)

edit: two stirrers side by side are about the size of the 2.5 tank base (a little smaller actually) 

• Thanks 1