Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is my Evo 13.5 at risk of breaking?

s3pang

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some insight here as I've never dealt with tank damage and am concerned.  Genuinely do not know what happened, but yesterday as I was getting ready to do my water change I noticed a piece of glass on the corner of my tank is fractured(splintered?) and I'm worried about the longevity of the tank.  I'm afraid to try and touch it as I don't want it to fully break off, but it looks like all it would take is a little force for it to come right off.  I can tell you I have never hit the tank with anything before (way to conscientious around the tank) so I don't know what could've caused this to happen.  Should I be concerned about the tank failing? I apologize the photos aren't great, but hope they show enough of what the concern is. Thanks for your insight

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

• Sad 1

That doesn't look good. You are probably OK for right now, but if the crack begins to spread then you've got a real problem on your hands. I would probably start looking around for a replacement tank for some peace of mind.

Christopher Marks

That's a bummer @s3pang, it looks like an impact chip from something bumping into the corner. Based on your photographs it looks to only be a chip that has terminated back out to the same edge, rather than a full crack through the glass pane. It also didn't go beyond the silicone seam which has a tremendously strong bond with the glass. It's also at the top and not under much pressure at all. Personally I think the tank will be just fine, if it were mine I'd rub a little 100% silicone over both sides of the outside of the chip to bond and protect the area, and then just leave it be.

My advice comes after building glass tanks for a few years, but we all have different tolerances for risk. Shine a really bright flashlight into it and be sure it's just a chip, you might feel better about it all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1